Heiniken/Fosters questions

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
zelph

Re: Heiniken/Fosters questions

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Anyone notice what kind of wax was being used. I tried to see if I could notice what kind it was but missed it somewhere. I could make my own :D I'll have to give this idea some thought.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:31 pm

One link at the wikia had more information about the materials to make it.
Last edited by ConnieD on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggarris

Postby ggarris » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi Zelph,

Here is a copy of the wax info that I read online either at the WIKI site or one of the links:

"The wax for use inside the WAPI is available here:

Quest International
5115 Sedge Blvd.
Hoffman Estates, IL 60192
USA

Tel: +1 (847) 645-7000
F: +1 (847) 645-7064

The type of wax we use is called Myverol, and the specific product is known as Myverol 18-06, which has a melting point of 69° C. Apparently, the smallest unit that they sell this product in is a box about 1 foot square, which weighs about 45 pounds (20 kg). Bob Metcalf has not yet used up one box and I'm not sure he even expects to in his lifetime--it would be enough for untold thousands of WAPIs.

The tubing we use is .373 inches outside diameter, and the wall thickness is about .060 inches. It is important to be sure that you use a polycarbonate tubing, which Lexan is, but double check with your dealer, because other plastics (ones that are not polycarbonate) lack either the temperature stability or the optical clarity that is needed.

The Lexan tubing can be obtained from McMaster-Carr in Los Angeles. This is the contact info:

McMaster-Carr Supply Co.
P.O. Box 54960
Los Angeles, CA 90054-0960
USA

Phone: 562-692-5911
F: 562-695-2323

http://www.mcmaster.com

The product number is 8585K11. It comes only in 8 ft. lengths. at 60 cents a foot. The measurements I gave you above were more exact than what the company's website gives--it says 3/8 inch exterior diameter and 1/4 inch interior diameter, which is pretty darn close to the figures I gave you above.

I have been instructed by the higher authorities to once again stress with you the idea of quality control--checking every WAPI twice, and looking to see if ANY water has gotten inside the WAPI, because water will affect the wax, which will then possibly melt at temperatures below pasteurization temperature.

Bob Metcalf says, that when you make the WAPI's you put enough wax in the tube to fill it about half way. (The wax comes dry and powdered, looking a lot like fine grated Parmesan cheese.) After the first time it melts, it will be a solid chunk at the bottom of the tube."

Hope this helps

I also found info about making this using a see-through ballpoint pen.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 pm

ggarris wrote:Hi Zelph,

The type of wax we use is called Myverol, and the specific product is known as Myverol 18-06, which has a melting point of 69° C. Apparently, the smallest unit that they sell this product in is a box about 1 foot square, which weighs about 45 pounds (20 kg). Bob Metcalf has not yet used up one box and I'm not sure he even expects to in his lifetime--it would be enough for untold thousands of WAPIs.

The tubing we use is .373 inches outside diameter, and the wall thickness is about .060 inches. It is important to be sure that you use a polycarbonate tubing, which Lexan is, but double check with your dealer, because other plastics (ones that are not polycarbonate) lack either the temperature stability or the optical clarity that is needed.

Sounds like you've been making these, tell us a little about your end product and where they are going. Can we purchase some from you?

ggarris

Postby ggarris » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:43 pm

No No. Sorry. I copied and pasted from a link that was building these and how. This is only info from my online research. I'm just trying to figure out if this even makes sence for a backpacker; maybe for car camping. It just seems the fuel savings from heating about 165 deg to boiling isn't really that much. And boiling is a "no brainer"; without the need for thermometer or a WAPI. Maybe if you are boiling large amounts of water. Just my thoughts.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:28 am

ggarris wrote:No No. Sorry. I copied and pasted from a link that was building these and how. This is only info from my online research. I'm just trying to figure out if this even makes sence for a backpacker; maybe for car camping. It just seems the fuel savings from heating about 165 deg to boiling isn't really that much. And boiling is a "no brainer"; without the need for thermometer or a WAPI. Maybe if you are boiling large amounts of water. Just my thoughts.

Now I'm on the right track :D I'm still debating also if it's a backpacking item.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:21 am

Some of you seem to wanna hike and look like the old "town to town traveling shysters" that had covered wagons full of inventions,magic snake skin oil,or any other weird items people might wanna buy along the way....but "ultralight"! :mrgreen:

Hey..I need a turkey-tasting-sex-determining spoon..got one of those? I'm going to Ohio! :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:38 pm

magic snake skin oil,

I use that for skeeters :mrgreen:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm

The water doesn't have to boil: it only has to be hot enough to melt the inside of the WAPI, an item that weigh is negligible. I guess that information is at or near page 1.

The WAPI isn't for you, you are experienced.

There are a lot of backpackers, that pour the unused alcohol back in the storage container.

There are many backpackers who conserve fuel because they stay out longer than AT hikers, for instance.

In Montana, I don't know anyone who considers less than a week a "camping" trip. Most people, here, heading out for the back-country stay out as long as they can, starting with 2-weeks to a month.

The WAPI is for inexperienced backpackers, and inexperienced "survivalists" in the other forums and on YouTube, who get outdoors and there is a breeze or a wind, and the pot takes forever to boil.

For one thing, it doesn't need to boil.

For another, maybe you have a great alcohol stove design but other alcohol stoves won't boil the 2-cups water for one hot entree and one hot drink.

I know the OP is a question about Heiniken/Fosters beer cans. Most people wouldn't get near a beer can, even if it is for a backpacking stove kit. I know that is hard for sone to grasp. But it is true.

The fact is Webelo scout leaders, and others "lurk" here, know all about bplite forum and whiteblaze and YouTube. I found that out, last week. Boy, did I hear about it!

I was posting at one "survivalist" forum, because they had gardening and canning and like that. I am interested in that.

That forum has "Thank You" and number of "Views". I had hundreds of "Thank You"s and there were thousands of views.

I found that forum from YouTube, and so did thousands of other people.

I assure you, thousands of people want to "Be prepared" and have a 3-day "Emergency Kit" or a "10-day Emergency Kit" or more. They want to have skills and the gear for being okay outdoors.

However, most "kits" are useless. And so, there are people looking for useful and better stuff.

Anyway, I am obviously thinking about "newbies" and the public who worry about an earthquake or some disaster. How will they cope? They have never been on a camping trip.

I have actually seen the worst cr@p sold, for big money, in regular stores and online to "inexperienced" people.

The WAPI is none of that.

I may be keen about lightweight and ultralight backpacking, but that doesn't mean I only think about my own interests.

The fact is, that "organization" doesn't have any to sell "retail" and their website reports they met their goal of $8,000 "for Haiti" so they hired a new administrator. Wanna bet it's practically all "adminintrative" costs over there, and no product.

I think the WAPI will get people away from they have to get a "rolling boil" and that benefits everyone.

What is stupid, is too much. Not "just enough".

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:27 pm

I think the WAPI should be in everyones 72 hour "Grab and Run" kit. It has a place in many different applications and is well worth the effort to obtain a few. I'm thinking of getting the materials and have a group assemble them and send them off to a designated area of need.

Return to “Stove Making Tips”