How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15762
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:18 pm

gregb wrote:I tried to do this tuesday night but failed. On the first atempt I couldn't feel the rolled edge bottom out. So I tried again but stopped before it bottomed out, removed the "die" and found the rolled in material was bunched up again. The die was deformed so I cut the bottom off another bottle and tried a third time. When I found it also didn't roll correctly, I threw it all in the recycle bin.

Like you said, I'll leave it to the experts and will need t buy one. Oh zelph...


The rolled edge is suppose to "bottom out" and form a means of keeping the inner wall away from the outer wall :?

What happens if you keep applying pressure to the die once you feel the "bottoming out" ?

Even if the inner wall looks raged at the bottom of the stove it will still work. The raged wall bottom will alow fuel to go under it into the inner portion of the two walls.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gregb
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:37 am
Location: Thurmont, MD

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby gregb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:24 pm

It was a 20 ton hydraulic press and I didn't feel a change in resistance. It actually crushed very easily :lol:

The inner wall didn't just have a rough bottom edge, it was bunched up bad to one side while the other side had the ridges or wrinkles like in the video. So I'll buy one yours :D

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15762
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:03 am

gregb wrote:It was a 20 ton hydraulic press and I didn't feel a change in resistance. It actually crushed very easily :lol:

The inner wall didn't just have a rough bottom edge, it was bunched up bad to one side while the other side had the ridges or wrinkles like in the video. So I'll buy one yours :D


hehheh :) hard to feel when it starts to go wrong with 20 tons of hydraulic pushing it :D so it's not having equal verticle pressure because it's bunched up off to one side. How tall is your die and how much wider than the bottle being formed in thousandths? One hair thickness?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gregb
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:37 am
Location: Thurmont, MD

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby gregb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Yep, there could be too much play in the press. I saw the upper part of the press and the bottle move when the pressure was applied and released. Also the pipe cutter I used rolled the cut edge inward and I had tried to straighten it before pressing anything :roll:

The die was one inch cut off a bottle and pressed on the bottom of another and then removed with air pressure. It wasn't tight on the cut bottles but wouldn't fall off if turned over. For a few seconds I thought about it making a nice lid for some bottle project.

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15762
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 pm

gregb wrote:Yep, there could be too much play in the press. I saw the upper part of the press and the bottle move when the pressure was applied and released. Also the pipe cutter I used rolled the cut edge inward and I had tried to straighten it before pressing anything :roll:

The die was one inch cut off a bottle and pressed on the bottom of another and then removed with air pressure. It wasn't tight on the cut bottles but wouldn't fall off if turned over. For a few seconds I thought about it making a nice lid for some bottle project.


Sounds like too many variables that could make it go astray. A small dent in the bottle can be the death of a compression :D I had 3 bottles go bad the other day from dents no doubt.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

KLC
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby KLC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:58 pm

I have made a stove like he did in the video but the die I made wears out easily. I think it would take me a case or more of Bud bottles just to make a few decent stoves for friends and family.
Would be nice to have a proper die made, but would be awesome to know the correct dimensions if having a die made.

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15762
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 pm

KLC wrote:I have made a stove like he did in the video but the die I made wears out easily. I think it would take me a case or more of Bud bottles just to make a few decent stoves for friends and family.
Would be nice to have a proper die made, but would be awesome to know the correct dimensions if having a die made.


Minibulldesign has a video that shows how to make the die.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

KLC
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby KLC » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 pm

That is how I was doing it Zelph. I have made a handful of dies, none last more than 2 bottles. Rolled edge looks funky.
I am having trouble with creating the die. Keeping the die straight as it goes over the base of another bottle.

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5266
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 pm

KLC, if you know any machinist, they can mill you one pretty easily ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

KLC
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby KLC » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 am

Ridgerunner, sent you a PM.


Return to “Stove Making Tips”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests