How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
zelph

Re: How do you get that rolled over top edge ??

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:44 am

gregb wrote:I noticed the bottom of the Mountain Dew bottle is not the same shape as a Budwiser. Do you know if the method shown in the video works on the Mountain Dew bottles?

It will work, the bottom shape has no affect on the forming.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:31 pm

zelph wrote:It will work, the bottom shape has no affect on the forming.

What?
OK. I haven't seen the bottom of the Mt. Dew bottle, so I'm not sure of the "difference" under discussion, but wouldn't the bottom "corner" radius make a big difference in the forming?
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Vibe wrote:

What?
OK. I haven't seen the bottom of the Mt. Dew bottle, so I'm not sure of the "difference" under discussion, but wouldn't the bottom "corner" radius make a big difference in the forming?

The dew bottle will probably work better.

My mistake, I was thinking of forming from the top down with a steel die :roll:

Vibe, have you tried making one by doing the video instructions or anyone else for that matter made one???

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:07 pm

zelph wrote:
Vibe wrote:

What?

The dew bottle will probably work better.

My mistake, I was thinking of forming from the top down with a steel die :roll:

Vibe, have you tried making one by doing the video instructions or anyone else for that matter made one???

I have not tried to make a homemade model of the stove. tinny does say in his video that budlight OR Mountain Dew bottles will work. I might have to give it a whirl as I have a box full of bottles I was going to "get rid of" but could just as easily cut and smash a few for experimental purposes. I will have to figure out a pressing method but that shouldn't be to hard.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Use the dew bottle as the die and compress a budlite bottle.

"get rid of" bottles :lol: :lol: surely you jest!!!!

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 am

zelph wrote:Vibe, have you tried making one by doing the video instructions or anyone else for that matter made one???

I made one using a mousse container (well 2 actually) - and then promptly blew it into the concrete when I used compressed air to separate the two pieces. Left a hefty dent in the bottom of the Mini-Stove. Haven't come up with a matched pair of anything yet to try it with again. But, I'm working on it. Though I might try a Venom bottle to roll a BudLyte bottle outwards for an afterburner body.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:32 am

I received some Venom bottles in the mail yesterday. They are larger in diameter compared to budlite bottles. Same size as the Snapple energy drink bottle also the Boulevard Wheat beer bottle. I used the Boulevard Wheat bottle to make some stoves as per the video and it worked.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Have you tried anything with the "new" Miller Lite resealable bottles? I was possibly thinking maybe even a light weight water carrier.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:04 pm

I tried two bud bottles last night and started to split the outer one when I tried to compress the two together. Oh well. I will leave the compressed bud bottles to the experts for now. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

gregb

Postby gregb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

I tried to do this tuesday night but failed. On the first atempt I couldn't feel the rolled edge bottom out. So I tried again but stopped before it bottomed out, removed the "die" and found the rolled in material was bunched up again. The die was deformed so I cut the bottom off another bottle and tried a third time. When I found it also didn't roll correctly, I threw it all in the recycle bin.

Like you said, I'll leave it to the experts and will need t buy one. Oh zelph...

Return to “Stove Making Tips”