if weight was less of an issue...

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: if weight was less of an issue...

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i've always until recently cooked over a fire.

Don't give it up completely, do 50 - 50
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:52 pm

trust me at this point i can't forget how. with using a stove i dont have to carry as heavy of pots.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

brooklynkayak

Postby brooklynkayak » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:19 pm

rallen wrote:What I do whenever practical is bring my titanium Zip stove (which also works wonders at driving away mosquitos). Or my Kelly Kettle. I just received a Bushbuddy Ultra which i'm dying to try. After i've tested it I think i'll cut a hole in the bottom to fit a Zip fan assembly.

Wood fires in a Kelly Kettle, Bush Buddy or other efficient wood fire is pretty dang green. Your not burning fossil fuels and even alcohol uses more natural resources.

I only carry alcohol as a backup and use found fuel when ever possible. I won't mess with complicated fossil fuel stoves, they just aren't reliable enough, for a klutz like me. I haven't broke a soda can alcohol stove yet.

I'm always seeing fellow campers trying to fix stoves because they were miss-packed or some fidgety part bent or broke.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
-- H. S. Thompson

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Wood is Good :D My favorite go to stove :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

russb

Postby russb » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:17 pm

I love cooking over a wood fire.

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:23 pm

For the most part I carry a simple to use Primus canister stove that is nearly idiot proof to use.
Why do I carry it over alcohol? For one thing I never have to worry about being in compliance with burn bans up high - some years alchy gets banned as being an 'open flame'.While I do use alcohol stoves I have simply found what I am happiest with and that Primus has been cooking with me since 2003. As long as I use the big fuel canisters stability is never an issue for me - as long as I don't go over a 2L pot.

I guess for me pack weight is an interesting thing - I will cut as much as I can on shelter, clothes, etc but I don't always cut ounces in my kitchen setup. On one trip I had some shocked looks when I pulled out a GSI mini table to cook on. It was perfect for that trip - being on snow/mud I had a clean work area. I also don't carry the lightest pans either at times.

Yet carry extra underwear? Hah! :D
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:46 pm

sarbar wrote:For the most part I carry a simple to use Primus canister stove that is nearly idiot proof to use.

Sarbar;
in some of your videos you are useing what appears to be a Snow Peak GS100 canister burner. is this the case? or am i mistaken?
if so; why do you prefer the Primus? and which model is it?
Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 am

DarenN wrote:
sarbar wrote:For the most part I carry a simple to use Primus canister stove that is nearly idiot proof to use.

Sarbar;
in some of your videos you are useing what appears to be a Snow Peak GS100 canister burner. is this the case? or am i mistaken?
if so; why do you prefer the Primus? and which model is it?
Daren.......

I prefer the Snow Peak fuel - it never fails me, even in really cold temps up high. Over the years lets just say I have had some "issues" with other brands of fuel. The nice thing is that Primus stove can take any brand (though it does NOT like that cheap bad Glo Master or whatever it is called. That fuel will foul ANY stove up!)

As for the model, I actually don't know anymore :oops: Back in 2002 my husband had a Primus stove with the piezo thingie on it - it would never work. So he contacted Primus and they sent him a new stove - but just the plain model, no piezo lighter. Only thing is....when the replacement came? The company had sent a CASE of them. 12 stoves, all brand new, boxed. He called them and they told him he was imagining it.....he decided that OK, well, then fine I won't argue with you :D But yet, even after all those years and even with bad fuel once in awhile, I cannot wear that stove out! We carry one in each vehicle as well for our bug out kits. Gave a couple away over the years. I don't think they make the model anymore though - it is a very light weight stove though. And that really is why I like it - it is small, compact, fold ups tiny, never fails and one big thing: I can actually simmer on it - something many canister stoves are not capable of doing. It is also very stable.

Seriously I see new stoves that I covet. Yet, why buy it? The stupid stove won't die and I have a couple sisters to take its place if it ever does :lol:

I think though I am going to pack a new alchy stove and take it with me for my trip I am leaving on Saturday so I can shoot some videos on location...warm, sunny, warm, no snow, WARM beaches :D
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:22 am

Only thing is....when the replacement came? The company had sent a CASE of them. 12 stoves, all brand new, boxed.

Sarbar,
Looks like the Primus deal definitely worked to your advantage :lol: . Good to know Primus stands by their products :) . Can't fault you if someone on the other end probably figured out it would be less trouble to ignore their mistake than to fix it as long as you were taken care of.

I have one of those green Coleman white-gas 2 burner camp stoves for car camping. When it was 8 years old, the valve started leaking. I wrote Coleman a letter asking if I could buy a valve repair kit as the seal was bad and I'd like to replace it. To my surprise, then sent me a whole new valve assembly, free of charge. The stove was well out of warranty. I think they were afraid I was going to roast myself if I tried to fix it :o Still have that stove. It still works. 20+ years and going strong.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:34 am

now thats the kind of customer service i like! :D
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”