if weight was less of an issue...

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
Mister Krabs

Re: if weight was less of an issue...

Postby Mister Krabs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:11 pm

When I'm canoeing I still use my first stove a GAZ one burner like this one that I bought in 1995.

It's got a matching lantern that I like a lot.

When I'm car camping with a group I bring the white gas coleman powerhouse and sometimes the turkey fryer.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:17 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:When I'm canoeing I still use my first stove a GAZ one burner like this one that I bought in 1995.

It's got a matching lantern that I like a lot.

When I'm car camping with a group I bring the white gas coleman powerhouse and sometimes the turkey fryer.

I like the way it locks onto the canister, better than screw onto threads like most others. Nice stove/lantern combo. Made in France I believe?????
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Postby hoz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:23 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:When I'm canoeing I still use my first stove a GAZ one burner like this one that I bought in 1995.

I still have my original Bluet Gaz stove too. But haven't used it since I went to Alky.

I bought mine in 1969! It has a taller profile (unsafe, I usually block it up with rocks), and screws into the cartridge with two metal "clamps" under the cartridge. The gaz cartridges were still available last time I checked, but that was several years ago....

French made, yes, but they were purchased by "Garcia" somewhere along the line.

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:47 pm

Yep you still can get those canisters - REI carries them. I see the Gaz stoves still being sold as well in outdoor shops. The only thing I didn't like is you can't take the canister off midway to make carrying easier if needed.

Now if weight REALLY wasn't an issue...heck, I would be carrying the 2 burner Coleman stove :D That thing can bring to boil two 2L pots at once.....For car camping it rocks beyond rocks :D
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Yup, made in france, but now a subsidiary of coleman. It came with a semi effective windscreen that's like a dish.
The lantern is a neat one mantle deal that comes with a chain instead of a bail and a plastic hard case.
With these gaz models you can disconnect the fuel canister to switch back and forth from lantern to stove or for storage. It is an elegant solution the way they snap-lock on and off. I think it's the same fitting as paint cans and such. Canisters come in two sizes, a taller one and a shorter one, both are bigger than the pocket rocket type canisters.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:42 pm

sarbar wrote:The nice thing is that Primus stove ..........

Sarbar;
does your Primus look anything like this one?

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:22 pm

Mine has 4 supports (arms) and no ridging - weighs around 3 ounces :)
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:07 am

sarbar wrote:Mine has 4 supports (arms) and no ridging - weighs around 3 ounces :)

my mistake. :oops:
i went back and looked at some of your videos again. definately not the GS100. must have been the four potstand arms that tricked me.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”