Zen and it's relationship to the journey

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
captn

Zen and it's relationship to the journey

Postby captn » Thu May 01, 2008 8:55 pm

From Wikipedia

"zen" is a school of Mahāyāna Buddhism notable for its emphasis on mindful acceptance of the present moment, spontaneous action, and letting go of self-conscious and judgmental thinking. [1]
It emphasizes dharma practice and experiential wisdom—particularly as realized in the form of meditation known as zazen—in the attainment of awakening. As such, it de-emphasizes both theoretical knowledge and the study of religious texts in favor of direct individual assessment of one's own experience.

How does this not fit with lightweight backpacking? Direct individual assesment of one's own experience? Letting go of self-conscious and judgmental thinking.

zelph

Re: Zen and it's relationship to the journey

Postby zelph » Thu May 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Very well put captn.

Can you explain a little what this means: "in the attainment of awakening"
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 pm

zelph wrote:Very well put captn.

Its all greek to me so get you bob bag ready its coming no gas no food stock up.
Man play with fire man get burnt

captn

Postby captn » Fri May 02, 2008 11:22 am

zelph wrote:Very well put captn.

I'm certainly no Zen master .... . but from what little I know I would think that Awakening refers to becoming one with all life and/or all existence.

Now ... what does all this mean to me???

Well ..... when I rely less on what's in my pack, and carry less with me, I feel more in tune to everything around me. I feel more a part of nature than a visitor to nature. I attempt to emerse myself in it.

My most memorable trips have been long weekend solos with baseweights of around 5 lbs ..... Gear becomes more of a way to keep from changing nature (not building a shelter for example, or building a cook fire every time I want to eat something, but lessing my impact with a lightweight stove, and using an air mattress instead of pulling together a bed of pine needles) while maintaining my basic needs for food, warmth, shelter, etc. and just a bit of comfort.

By the end of a couple of days you can begin to feel the life that surrounds you everywhere, the sounds, the smells, the sights, and the electricity of the very air you breathe.

People backpack for different reasons, for solitude, for friendship, for adventure, for competition, for the cool "gee wiz" factor of the new gear they are using. And frankly, I've taken trips for ALL of these reasons at one time or another.

But in the end it's about Awakening one's self to something other than normal day to day life.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Again, very well put.
Sat here and reflected back in time when I went North into Manitoba, Canada to fish remote areas. Drove as far as the roads went and flew in the rest of the way. I found solitude there like nowhere else that I had ever been. My first time out was a very awakening experience. I felt loneliness like I've never felt before. I knew how far away to the south of me the nearest tiny settlement was. To the North was nothing between me and the Nort Pole. Phew!!! exillerating :) I would position myself facing North and be able to feel heaviness on my back(civilization) and feel lightweight on the front of my body (nobody out there). I realized why they called it "Gods Country".

Today, here in the midwest I can't get away from the sounds of civilization. I'm trapped!!!!!!

The Frontier is gone!!!!

Reflecting back makes me think that I was able to get pretty close to "the attainment of awakening".

Thanks captn for taking me on a mental awakening in time. :D

captn

Postby captn » Fri May 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Zelph ......

Good journey to you ....... :D

texron

Postby texron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 pm

zelph wrote:Again, very well put.
Sat here and reflected back in time when I went North into Manitoba, Canada to fish remote areas. Drove as far as the roads went and flew in the rest of the way. I found solitude there like nowhere else that I had ever been. My first time out was a very awakening experience. I felt loneliness like I've never felt before. I knew how far away to the south of me the nearest tiny settlement was. To the North was nothing between me and the Nort Pole. Phew!!! exillerating :) I would position myself facing North and be able to feel heaviness on my back(civilization) and feel lightweight on the front of my body (nobody out there). I realized why they called it "Gods Country".

Today, here in the midwest I can't get away from the sounds of civilization. I'm trapped!!!!!!

The Frontier is gone!!!!

Reflecting back makes me think that I was able to get pretty close to "the attainment of awakening".

Thanks captn for taking me on a mental awakening in time. :D

I'm new so I'm sniffing around the old posts. I went backpacking through Arches National Park in Utah about 10 years ago, It was in Novemeber and I think I was the only person in the place ;) I remeber hearing rocks falling from FAR away, the wind blowing through things that made it wistle a little bit. I NEVER felt so close to God in my life. I've not been able to capture that feeling again. I need to get back there someday. My Zen moment.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks for sharing that. It was good to read the quote again. Good memories there. Just think, all these natural wonders were created specifically for us. were here on earth for only a short while, make your zen moments happen!!!!

When I was in the arches, I used binoculars to watch two cliff hangars set up their hammocks on the walls of the cliff to spend the night hanging on a thread.. Just think of the zen moments they had waking in the am peering out at the sunrise. WoW, there are special people out there.

hplar

Postby hplar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:07 pm

zelph wrote:When I was in the arches, I used binoculars to watch two cliff hangars set up their hammocks on the walls of the cliff to spend the night hanging on a thread.. Just think of the zen moments they had waking in the am peering out at the sunrise. WoW, there are special people out there.

Gotta be careful with the late night pee runs when you're shear wall dangling... :? Better be healthy or take Flowmax... :lol: "LOOK OUT BELOW...!!!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:01 am

It evaporates by the time it gets close to the ground. Thank goodness. I had the opportunity to witness what they call the Mariah. In hot areas of Utah rain evaporates befor it hits the ground. You can see the clouds giving off the rain and see it falling but half to 3/4 of the way down it dissapears.Hot surface winds blow it sideways nothing hits the ground. They Call the Wind Mariah. Geat song by the Kingston Trio

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”