Rain Gear Poll

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage

What kind of rain gear do you prefer

1) Poncho/multi purpose shelter,footprint
38%
2) Rain jacket
13%
3) Rain jacket/pants combo
38%
4) Umbrella
No votes
5) Umbrella in conjunction with one of the top three
13%

Total votes: 8

Ridgerunner

Rain Gear Poll

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:54 pm

I usually take a breatheable jacket and pants. My jacket has a visor built into the hood. I tried a set DriDucks and FroggToggs but was not happy with their performance as the pants tore and they did not keep me dry. I was pretty much damp but not soaked and far from dry. I have been thinking about switching to a poncho for it's versitility.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Re: Rain Gear Poll

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:27 pm

I'd have to vote for "all of the above"..depending on where and when I go and how much the monsoons are going to affect the hike.

Wintertime I might take a lightweight SD jacket over layers,roll-up pants that fit in the pocket of itself,and the Goretex "cape" I made(or one of the ponchos I have.. for emergency gear).If I have to sit in the rain,I'd probably string up the cape or poncho overhead with the jacket and rainpants on.Also an appropriate hat..whether it be a goretex baseball cap or the filson wool with the drop earmuffs..under the hood of the jacket.If I expect it to be colder and wetter..I'd probably use the REI rainsuit..but I try not to hike in that type of weather.I don't mind wet or cold..just avoid those together. :roll:
Yeah..I did pick up a couple small-packing umbrellas for the wife and me..don't recall if we ever used them..good for rain or hot sunny days though.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:41 pm

My only "rain jacket" is from bicycling: it is translucent plastic with an open mesh at the sides and under the arms. It is longer in the back and has a "mandarin" collar. I use it for hiking, only for a contingency of rain.

I rely instead on my modified poncho, much like The Packa, and a ground sheet I supplement with a DWR and no-see-um netting bivy. If I anticipate rain, or the brush may overhang the trail, I take my homemade SilNylon Equinox Half Moon Chaps.

If I anticipate "brush-crashing" I take my Exped Rain Chaps.

If it is really cold, I use my long gaiters with my poncho wrapped around me.

I have sewn-in a cord to gather it in at the waist and at the hem line.

I am considering a cagoule with a long zip in front and handwarmer pockets.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:06 am

Combo, full plastic coating, head to toe. My mama told me to always have protection from the rain :mrgreen:

Hahaha 2 years ago I went without and got soaked to the bone. Half way up a ravine, down pour got me good :roll:

took me a forever to make it the rest of the way up. Inches at a time :o
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:16 am

I voted for jacket and pants. Which is jacket and waders if I'm fishing.

I tried ponchos but the coverage is not there. Splashing rain or dew covered plants defeats a poncho.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:38 am

Maybe you should have a look at the Cedar Tree "The Packa"?

It is an effective design.

Maybe you would call it a "jacket"? I see it as a "modified" poncho.
Last edited by ConnieD on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:13 am

warmer weather - poncho tarp + rain pants...serves as raingear and packcover. (warm weather=smaller pack)
cold weather- lightweight rain top and bottoms with a trash compactor bag as a pack liner
REALLY Cold weather- bomber alpinist jacket + waterproof snowboard pants with the same pack liner.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:10 pm

waterproof snowboard pants with the same pack liner.

I'll have to look into those items..................thanks!!!!! :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 am

Does anyone have an y experience with the Packa that ConnieD mentions? I looks like a viable option ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 pm

No me! I agree, looks doable but I don't travel in the rain. I quicly go to ground as soon as I smell or hear thunder/rain. Not true............2 years ago I got caught in a cloud burst while I was going up a steep ravine. I stopped half way up and waited it out. I was able to keep my body out of the rain by crouching under an overhanging tree. It was sticking out at a 45* angle. My pack got drenched :roll: After the raine stopped, I began the long trek up a very muddy deer path leading up to the top of the ravine.

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”