Critique my pack list please.

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: Critique my pack list please.

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:46 am

I'm still leaning towards Neo Air, since it's only one night.

Vince should be back by now, we wait in warm anticipation of his feedback :o Did he survive the cold wet night?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

serevince

Postby serevince » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Sorry you'll have to wait a whole week to find out :shock: I leave in the AM!

I've packed scrutinized and repacked and with water my pack tips the scales around 34-35lbs! :evil: I was shooting for 30 or less. Ces't la vie!

Cheers

Vince

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:14 pm

serevince wrote:Sorry you'll have to wait a whole week to find out :shock: I leave in the AM!

I've packed scrutinized and repacked and with water my pack tips the scales around 34-35lbs! :evil: I was shooting for 30 or less. Ces't la vie!

Cheers

Vince

Stay warm and well :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Your pack and weight look fine..just that it's the wrong color... :o

:lol: Hell with it!Have a good trip...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

serevince

Postby serevince » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:53 am

So I'm back, hammock was great. Pack list was great,(a lttle too much food). Trip was awesome! I'll try and post up some pics later.

Total distance for me was 80+k *( I skipped the final summit loop, over 100k for my friends). The elevation changes were ridiclous! We went from Lago di Brais to Rif Col Dia (Civetta). We stayed at Rif Lagazoui and Rif Nuavalo. Those spellings are horrible, but if you're bored check out Google Earth. The Dolomites are AMAZING!

Cheers

Vince

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:10 am

Did you stay warm???? :D

What items will be removed from your pack list in preparation for your next hike?

Tell us about your first night trying to sleep in the hammock.
How do you like your Granite Gear Air Compressor stuff sack? Easy to load and unload?

It's going to be interesting to see how the trees grow on the Dolomites, look forward to your pics. :D

serevince

Postby serevince » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:45 am

Overall I loved every bit of my gear. When I have time to put up pics, I'll rat out some of my friends ablatros items that came out of their packs during the trip.

I had no gear failures and only two areas of minor wear.
1: Two small holes in my Sea to Summit sil-nylon pack cover.
2: A elastic webing retainer on my Osprey Exos pack used to secure my Camelbak hose frayed, but did not fail.

The holes in my pack cover mirror almost idenitical holes in my TNF pack cover. I can't fault the manufacturers. Apparently I'm just hard on pack covers :)

The fraying on my Osprey is more annoying than anything. I don't know what caused it. More than likely the hose caught as I was shouldering my pack.

*My deoderant did self destruct immediatly, which sucked,so I STANK! My Patagucci shirt was the only one to truly resist the funk despite me wearing it the most.

I LOVED the the GG Air Compressor stuff sacks and also the GG Air Pockets. I used two of both in different sizes to completely organize my pack. I was ready in minutes every morning and always had easy access to exactly what I needed.

My pack was organized into 7 interior bags. 4 small and two big + my helmet. Some small misc items and my rain gear was spread between the exterior stuff pocket and pack lid.

1 small mesh bag for toiletries
1 small stuff sack for cook kit/ stove
1 small stuff sack for climbing gear
1 mesh bag for food
1 GG Air Compressor (S) for sleeping bag/pad/down vest
1 GG Air compressor (XS) clothes
HH in included bag at first, later the HH was stuffed in the space around my sleeping bag at the bottom of my pack and the stuff sack was repurposed for dirty clothes
1 Air pocket all emergency gear: med kit, survival kit and PLB (stored under pack lid)
1 air pocket for my man purse: Money, ID, TP, cell, etc.. (stored in pack lid)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 am

serevince wrote:I'm leaving Sunday for 8 days of hiking/ climbing in the Italian Dolomites. Basically a variation of Alta Via 1. 6 full days on the trail + half days at each end. All but 1 night we are in rifugios (hiking made AWESOME!). So a light breakfast, dinner and a bed are taken care of. Plus maybe the occasional beer ;) . Lunches are on the move, unless we happen by a rifugio at the right time. One night we are bivouacing ("camping " is not allowed), since there was no room at the inn. That drove the need for the shelter.

Vince

I had to google that word "rifugios" and here is what I found relating to the dolomites and rifugios:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/641800

and here I was worried about you sleeping cold in a hammock....silly me :o :lol:

That goes to show you I need to slow down when I read a post :D

It's like I had to get a refresher course of where you were going :roll: Now I know what the conditions were on your hike :D

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:35 pm

I have got to see pictures :!:

serevince

Postby serevince » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:27 pm

All right sorry for the long wait! I am in the middle of moving back to the good ol' US of A!

Here's a few teaser pics, while I try and sort out all the pics. I am trying to figure out a blog type something or other to do a detailed write up of our trip. Any ideas?

This is the trial marker for Alta via 1. We mainly took variations, but all trails are very well marked. The Tabacco(sp?)brand maps are perfect.

1st night Rifugio Biella. Awesome people here. As with every year, we met several people that we ended up seeing all along the route and having great time!

Here's some random pics, the last two are our bivouc night at Cascata di Fanes. We had a blast doing the via ferrata that goes under a huge waterfall!

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”