The philisophy of lightweight backpacking?

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
russb

Re: The philisophy of lightweight backpacking?

Postby russb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:43 pm

I usually stick with Robert Service. Prose is much shorter to read at one sitting. Plus it makes for a great campfire read as the embers die down before bed.

"There are strange things done in the midnight sun..."

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:36 pm

realityguy wrote:I used the VW book quite a bit to keep all my Volkswagens alive back in my hippy days..57van,58van,59van,63 bug,and 67 squareback.I wish I had them all now..$$$
:lol:

You ....a "Hippie" tell me it isn't so!!!!!! :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:07 pm

I think I still have a copy of the Last (updated) Whole Earth Catalog around here somewhere. LOL.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Vibe wrote:I think I still have a copy of the Last (updated) Whole Earth Catalog around here somewhere. LOL.

The old version is much better IMHO :D (Mother Earth) they have some great info on the creation of "wood gas" and it's application for automotive purposes.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm

I remember some of that era..just not all of it... :o

I spent most of my hippiedom in Hawaii..where long hair,aloha shirts,shorts,and sandals fit right in. ;) ..along with packing surfboards in VW buses... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:03 pm

realityguy wrote:

I remember some of that era..just not all of it... :o

I spent most of my hippiedom in Hawaii..where long hair,aloha shirts,shorts,and sandals fit right in. ;) ..along with packing surfboards in VW buses... :mrgreen:

Surfin USA, VW buses and surfboards.....Frankie Avalon and????

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:05 pm

Anette Funachello......M.I.C.....K.E.Y MOUSE!!! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:18 pm

zelph,
There are grizzlys, mountain lions, and elk. I have seen a moose, bald eagles down on the prairie, and a golden eagle further up.

The grizzly's are nicer than some people.

My planned "homesite" looks right into Glacier National Park.

There is a level place ready to build over at the east end of the property, but I do not care for a view of a lower ridge and the valley. No houses are visible, unless you walk up on the highest point and look real hard.

The beekeeper is 3/4 miles line-of-sight from there. There is also a "rich man's house" this side of the road but it doesn't look like he will live there: too much window space. It doesn't look like he will ever be able to heat it. It looks like "a Lake Tahoe house".

I have a grizzly bear "summer house" on my lower 10 acres. I don't walk down there. It is quite steep off of the ridge and it has old growth Englemann Spruce trees. I just enjoy having the trees there.

I walk up the ridge and enjoy the scent of all of the common mint growing under the forest canopy.

There is a spring 40' below my 20 acres. I figure I will have a well, about 40 feet down.

There is a place where a very tiny pond has been. There is 30-year drought running so I may have to pump some water over there just to enjoy the "pot hole" pond and plant a couple of green gage plum trees. I would really like to have a flowering plumb and some green gage plums.

I also plan for raspberries, and like that.

realityguy,
I had a VW bug. I have got some stories about it.

I sent for every alternative fuel idea in The Whole Earth Catalog to try in that VW bug and every time the idea has already been bought out and suppressed, just like "the electric car". I even tried to order the chicken sh-t methane generator and carburetor adapter offered for sale.

<sigh>

I do have 4 solar panels, on my travel trailer until I build my "cottage-size" home on the mountain ridge. I have a Midnight Sun prototype stove, in storage, for the house. I actually have a lot of stuff squirreled away, to get started. I even have structural materials to start construction, stored over in a town reasonably nearby.

Dreaming nice dreams.

Backpacking, kayaking. Website about lightweight and ultralightweight backpacking.

It seems my idea of "minimalism" "simplicity" and "natural living" involves a lot!

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:07 pm

I do have 4 solar panels, on my travel trailer until I build my "cottage-size" home on the mountain ridge. I have a Midnight Sun prototype stove, in storage, for the house. I actually have a lot of stuff squirreled away, to get started. I even have structural materials to start construction, stored over in a town reasonably nearby.

Dreaming nice dreams.

Backpacking, kayaking. Website about lightweight and ultralightweight backpacking.

It seems my idea of "minimalism" "simplicity" and "natural living" involves a lot!

Are you living off the grid at present in the Travel Trailer? It's good to dream Nice Dreams, it makes life a little more acceptable. One day at a time, by the end of this year you can have your "Cottage" built :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Hmm..minimalist cottages.. :lol:

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25 ... on%20home/

Look at the last pictures in there..8x16 with a full loft..There is room for a bathroom(have all the goodies) and a couple bedrooms with the ladder,3/4 bath at the far end...off the grid?..could..but since everything is in for the full house next door..I can someday have a "renter" pay for all my utilities for my trailer and cottage,and a tidy $500-600 monthly income after bills(property taxes)..right now it's sitting empty..4 miles or less from Olympic National Park just above Lake Crescent and just below the Straits of Juan de Fuca...
..Now that's off my grid... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”