The philisophy of lightweight backpacking?

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
DarenN

Re: The philisophy of lightweight backpacking?

Postby DarenN » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:51 am

ConnieD wrote: a practical minimalism.

i like that! a lot!!

ps: what's a brick board? :?
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:56 pm

I read "ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE" a couple of years ago. I too, did not enjoy the book that much other than the motorcycle adventures. A lot of psycology and philosophy for my liking. Similar to backpacking, I totally subscribe to the "Hike your own Hike" philosophy. If you want to carry a hobo bag with your gear on a stick or the kitchen sink, go for it, as long as you are enjoying yourself. For me it is all about adventure. What lies around the corner. What neat sight will mother nature have in store each and every day. Will I be prepared to handle what ever conditions come my way. The key is to let go of all the stress from everyday living, clear your head, and breathe in all that fresh clean air!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I remember years ago I started the book..and never ended it..
RR,you might like "The Man Who Walked Through Time" by Collin Fletcher(walking the Grand Canyon)..but by the end about all he had was rocks on his brain...but it sounds like he did enjoy the hike.He went lightweight with about 60 pounds,air drops,bottles of wine,optimus,hiking nekkid.. :mrgreen:
Hey! It was in the early 60s..give him a break! :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Speaking about philosophies..this sold--> http://cgi.ebay.com/Ray-Way-Products-Ta ... 3efba3268d

Someone has only the book on amazon for $100++...why? :o The stuff it includes I think is in his other cheaper books! :?:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:00 pm

Henry Thoreau is on the edge of civiliztion as we know it in his book "The Maine Woods" I think he's about 20 miles from the base of Mt. Ktaadn (Indian word to mean Highest Land At this point in time it's getting into the realm of "Zen" way of thinking. I'm 2/3 of the way through the book. I want out of reality :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 am

DarenN, ...a "brick board" is the size of a full sheet of plywood, only much thicker.

It is used to bring in bricks, for the bricklayers. This one was fairly clean, abandoned, and became my "loft" in the college dorm.

I have structural materials to build a small post-and-beam construction home: there will be a "loft". Why? The structure will use the least amount of material.

My property is "on the edge of civilization". In Montana.

Now, I have to backpack just to get there.
Last edited by ConnieD on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:28 am

I want out of reality :D

I figured you'd like that trip better than the AT one... :mrgreen: Did you get enough bushcraft? :o

So..are you ready for Walden?We'll want a thousand word essay by next monday..okay?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Not resdy for Walden yet. Having a hard time staying focused on reading....stove stuff keeps getting in the way :D

Connie, do you have grizzlies at the edge of your civilization? They make me nervous :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Postby hoz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Back in the 70's I rebuilt my VW van using "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive, with Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot " by John Muir.

Besides practical mechanical instructions John also mixed in a heaping helping of Hippie Philosophy. I guess it's still being published.

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-A ... 1566913101

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I used the VW book quite a bit to keep all my Volkswagens alive back in my hippy days..57van,58van,59van,63 bug,and 67 squareback.I wish I had them all now..$$$

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”