The philisophy of lightweight backpacking?

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: The philisophy of lightweight backpacking?

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:04 pm

realityguy wrote:Hmm..minimalist cottages.. :lol:

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25 ... on%20home/

..Now that's off my grid... :mrgreen:

off your grid and sitting empty, not being used :o :o :o tsk tsk tsk
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:46 pm

zelph,
I am at my brother's place in Oregon right now.

It will take more than that. For one thing, I am on a pay-as-you-go basis.

The highway was re-fenced and trenched, removing those two gates in the wire fence.

I am not sure who to write, to restore the access to my property.

It is Chief Mountain Scenic Highway - Highway 17, in reality a two-lane blacktop up to the Waterton side of Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park. The only other person tol reside on Highway 17 is the beekeeper, a retiree from Glacier National Park.

He says the park maintains the road.

reality guy,
24x32 "salt box" with small loft.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 pm

ConnieD wrote:zelph,
I am at my brother's place in Oregon right now.

It will take more than that. For one thing, I am on a pay-as-you-go basis.

The highway was re-fenced and trenched, removing those two gates in the wire fence.

I am not sure who to write, to restore the access to my property.

quote]

Is there a road on the other side of the fence or was it just a pasture fence for grazing animals?

Did you own the property brfore the fence was removed?

If it's a county road go talk to the county highway commisioner ask the area cop where the commisioners office is or look it up in the phone book. If it's a state road talk to the State highway commisioner. Tell them your story.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:43 pm

24x32 "salt box" with small loft.

That's probably bigger than my house up there(24x26)..about 1000' plus a single 200 sq ft garage..for now..Living space there seems to grow every year. :o .. :lol: .I keep telling the building department is because of all the rain.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 pm

zelph,
The land between the road and my property is "USA trust".

I purchase a "Conservation Permit" each year that entitles me to cross the USA Trust.

The landowner of that strip at the east end of my property gave me permission to cross his property. His gate was removed, as well. He probably doesn't know about it.

His land is, for the most part, further away. In fact, my 30 acres is nothing special around there. Most places reasonably nearby are one and half townships or many more square miles than that.

Near me, all of that land is designated "wild animal browse" and not by "cow and calf". I have seen no cows there, except a 5-8 strays, at most, from another property further down. They walk along the fence, because there isn't much for cows to eat.

I didn't see any cows at all, now.

I suspect the new wire fence is to keep his cows off the road.

I guess I could speak to the country treasurer, where I pay taxes.

That, or send a letter first to the park, then to the state. Then, to the county.

I put my 16' travel trailer in storage. Around here, that travel trailer would be called a "hunter's trailer". It has all new appliances I installed and a hot shower I had installed.

I have spent the winter in it, and I was fine.

I will have to see what I can do to have the gates put back. The new ditch will need a culvert.

A "simple life" sure can get complicated.

reality guy,
24x32 is the plan. I drew it myself.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 pm

24x32 is the plan. I drew it myself

Are you far enough out you don't have to deal with building departments?Hopefully you'll use enough seismic straps that your house won't fall on the neighbor's house! :mrgreen: (that's a joke!:lol: )
I do all my own plans and everything else(AtoZ) start to finish..I just don't do septic systems but should have on mine up there!Watch out for "local talent" in the boonies..there's a reason most of them are out there(Because they don't allow those maroons in the city any more!)Do it yourself and you'll get the job done right.Leave it to others and you'll have a mess on your hands because all they want to do is finish it as fast as possible(cutting every corner they can),get paid,and get outta Dodge! ;) Good luck on your project!
If the county put in the ditch,make them pay for the culvert pipe and installing it. If there was any kind of driveway/gate before,they should have done it then!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:01 am

The law provides for owner-contractor. I checked. The men have medical insurance.

That is the extent of my obligation. They are responsible as "independent contractors" hired by me.

I am specifying the job better than UBC. The county is not involved.

It will be very nice shed, accepting no utilities, and so, not taxed.

There are no utilities available. The beekeeper has the end-of-the-line utilities.

Mine is solar and propane. The toilet is a portable pump-out that has been regulated over at Duck Lake.

This means, the tribe has already mandated pump-out toilets so mine is nothing special.

The shower and sink will be a "grey-water" system.

There was a good dirt road. Now, some saplings have spring up at the entrance that goes up to the west side of my property.

The local talent is skilled. They build "lodges" for the wealthy and for the park.

I offered to pay what the contractor pays them. I was shocked to find out the most skilled man gets $12 an hour. I felt so bad about it, I offered "each man who works for me can run a tab at the local restaurant. I want no man to show up without breakfast".

I had found one skilled man. He found the other.

It isn't a big job. I have been purchasing tools and a generator.

The men are provided their tools by the contractor.

I didn't want a generator, so I bought one just big enough "on sale". I think I will give the tools and the generator to the men.

Did you build it all yourself? Did you hire skilled help?

First, I have to get a gate again and now a culvert.

I hope I can keep my philosophy in tact. I don't like bureaucrats.

All this "simplicity" is pretty complicated.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 am

I do all my own work from start to finish..but did have a guy run out and put up 27' gutters because I didn't want to mess with it.I do concrete(a friend helped me pour it in exchange for helping him hour for hour).I had it all formed up.
I rented a local boat storage shed two miles up the road and packed everything from here in town 100 miles away because the local stores charge an additional ungodly amount for the same thing.
I stacked it in order in the shed as I would need it;precut as much as I could at home so I wouldn't need a generator running more than it should or all the time.
My friend help me stand up the preformed first floor walls..after that I was on my own,even carrying the trusses up to the second floor,standing them by myself and carrying doing all the sheeting(6 in 12..set it down and it slides off and on the ground! :lol: )
I do all the electrical myself,plumbing,insulation,sheetrock,tsping,& texture,paint,trim,built the cabinet doors from the black oak LOG(dried 10-12 years before building them,inlaid bulletwood diamonds)

carpet,pergo,tile,low voltage,siding,roofing..whatever..it's all MY fault! :lol:
The cottage..is an experiment..to see how cheap I could make something.it was built out of two free sheds off craigslist,free windows,free trusses,paneling was out of a mobile home/craigs,insulation/craigs, was $50 for enough for the entire thing + lots of extra ,pergo was leftover from the house,cabinets were $25 from a garage sale,paid about 1/2 price for all the plywood flooring and roof & wall sheeting,electrical stuff leftover from the house,insdie trim and roofing I paid the full amount for.I probably have about $500-1000 into the entire project(with all the extras I have yet)..not bad considering what it is.It's wired 110 volts with a panel(with a plug)..just plug it in... with a couple circuits and another 110 for a water heater someday.I haven't put any plumbing in it yet but have everything to do so for a small barsink,vanity sink,toilet,small shower(a small future wall/door separates the bathroom from the rest)...I have it in the trailer(all converted to house water,septic/toilet,it's own hotwater tank..) so really don't need it in the cottage...yet.
I could convert it pretty easy to off the grid..throw it on a trailer,and move it easy.solar water/power on the 12/12 roof or alongside.I might have to split the roof from the main shed body to move it..but that's do-able...water..have a creek on the property but 2-8" Crescent Water District lines run across my property,hard to deny me access to water out of 600' deep Lake Crescent...
I don't mind a grid for comfort and convenience if it's there...I might have to add an addition for putting in a wood stove though..but a small heater should heat it no problem.It's packed with insulation!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:19 pm

All this "simplicity" is pretty complicated.

In the end it will all be worth it, stay focused :D work your dream!!!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:01 pm

You do good work,cuz. It is looking real nice. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”