Fuel Bottle Idea

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage
beemerphill

Fuel Bottle Idea

Postby beemerphill » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:13 pm

I don't backpack myself, but a lot of the people on this board do. Here is an idea for carrying fuel. It is a Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner bottle. The height is 8 1/8 to the top of the cap-diamater is 1 3/8. It holds a little over 5 oz. I do not know if it is alcohol-proof or not. It does not have any problems containing whatever it is that cleans fuel injectors. It is a very small skinny little bottle.
Around here (NE Oklahoma) it is available at O'Reilly auto stores. $5.95 per bottle. They did have it on sale a while back at 2 for $5, so wait for a sale.
Seeing as I am not handy at this computer stuff the picture might or might not come thru. Here is the url.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18268236@N03/2939180270/

oops56

Re: Fuel Bottle Idea

Postby oops56 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:33 pm

beemerphill wrote:I don't backpack myself, but a lot of the people on this board do. Here is an idea for carrying fuel. It is a Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner bottle. The height is 8 1/8 to the top of the cap-diamater is 1 3/8. It holds a little over 5 oz. I do not know if it is alcohol-proof or not. It does not have any problems containing whatever it is that cleans fuel injectors. It is a very small skinny little bottle.
Around here (NE Oklahoma) it is available at O'Reilly auto stores. $5.95 per bottle. They did have it on sale a while back at 2 for $5, so wait for a sale.
Seeing as I am not handy at this computer stuff the picture might or might not come thru. Here is the url.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18268236@N03/2939180270/

Picture came ok. Now that is a neat bottle have to have look for one thanks
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Nice bottle beemerphill. What I really liked was the pics you have of the jets breaking the sound barrier. Those are awesome !!! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:18 pm

Thanks- a buddy of mine sent them. One of our vet group is a fighter pilot. He explained that as you go sonic this is what actually happens. It would be neat to see it in person.

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:27 pm

I just went back to Flikr and made a few more pics public. They are of a Case knife that came out of the factory with the blade upside down. It was not a fluke-look at the finger grips. When I wrote to the factory they said that the blade is made from steel that they had a while back (1950s). The exact words that they used were it is "quite the conversation piece".
I am asking the guys on a knife board right now about it. So far no one has seen one like it. If anyone here has any info let me know. Thanks !!

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:18 pm

beemerphill wrote:I just went back to Flikr and made a few more pics public. They are of a Case knife that came out of the factory with the blade upside down. It was not a fluke-look at the finger grips. When I wrote to the factory they said that the blade is made from steel that they had a while back (1950s). The exact words that they used were it is "quite the conversation piece".
I am asking the guys on a knife board right now about it. So far no one has seen one like it. If anyone here has any info let me know. Thanks !!

i would call that knife a finely made, and well thought out, carvers knife. in wood carving one often works the knife toward oneself for better control.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:42 pm

I used a bottle of that cleaner in my acar 3 weeks ago and put the empty bottle in the trunk for safe keeping :D I currently use a Vicks Nyquil bottle for fuel, it has three sides and won't role down hill :mrgreen:

I think your knife is a DIY creation. In photo IMG_0158 it looks like the extended back of the blade has been ground to allow for the curvature of the finger grip. By rights the blade would normall be flat all the way back past the last rivet. It looks way out of proportion, handle length to length of blade.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:16 pm

With the handle grip and backwards blade, I would think it would be good for boning out a venison carcus. I wonder what's on my mind? :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:21 am

Ridgerunner wrote:With the handle grip and backwards blade, I would think it would be good for boning out a venison carcus. I wonder what's on my mind? :lol:

I'll be you make short work out of dressing and butchering whatever your group takes down. Are you the designated "cutter" and others have titles like "The Cook" and "Dishpan Hands" or is it "Everybody for themselves"
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:42 pm

I'll be you make short work out of dressing and butchering whatever your group takes down. Are you the designated "cutter" and others have titles like "The Cook" and "Dishpan Hands" or is it "Everybody for themselves"

I have processed a few deer over the years and am also the designated cook for the most part. Dishpan hands is someone else usually. So, basically, I cut, cook, camp, "celebrate", chill, then time for the big C-esta :D

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”