Quilt prototype

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
zelph

Re: Quilt prototype

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Ok, I took it out for a test spin...

The layered insulation worker really well, more insulation above my body core, less out at the edges.

The Fabric I used was two to three times heaver than the fancy sleeping bag materials so it's a little stiff. It doesn't drape as easily and lie on the ground around the edges like my down bag does. Because of this it's more drafty. I might add some elastic straps like in the Nunatak Quilts mentioned above. Eventually, when I make the fancy version, I'll use the lighter material.

Final version should be about 50% lighter and warmer too, it'll also cost five times as much.

Took it up to the "lunch counter" on Mt. Adams last night and had a blast. :DB:

It's nice to learn by doing :D

Can you add some softer material to the edges of your quilt to make it drape more close to your body?

Do you need a reservation to set up camp in the Lunch Counter? The place looks like it shelters from the wind...........does it?

Thanks for doing the video and sharing. Does the snow ever completely melt up there?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pnw.hiker

Postby Pnw.hiker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:38 am

zelph wrote:It's nice to learn by doing :D

Can you add some softer material to the edges of your quilt to make it drape more close to your body?

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to think about it. The backpacking quilts I've seen are just modeled after how regular sleeping bags are used when it's too warm to zip them up ... haven't put any thought beyond that, yet ...

zelph wrote:Do you need a reservation to set up camp in the Lunch Counter? The place looks like it shelters from the wind...........does it?

Thanks for doing the video and sharing. Does the snow ever completely melt up there?

Mount Adams is a treasure. It's far enough away from the large cities that's it's not overrun, but close enough to where I live for an overnighter. No reservation needed, but the trails stop at about 7,000', and you need a permit to climb any higher. I have an annual permit but still have to sign in with the rangers every time.

The LunchCounter is a good place to camp overnight and leave your tent before summiting the next morning. It's fairly flat-right where the map says 9,400'. Snow year around, but by late summer not enough for glissading back down.

At that altitude there's just snow and volcanic rock. The crescent shaped rock wall you see in the video is oriented against the prevailing winds, and there are dozens of them all the way up the mountain.

Here's a guy at the lunch counter, climbing Adams in nothing but his underwear, water sandles, a flag and a bottle of vodka. :taz:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:01 pm

No doubt the lunch counter is the flat place to stop and have lunch 8-) Sure was nice of someone to stack up those rock windbreaks for hikers/climbers/backpackers.

Sure looks like fun to be able to glassade down the snow slopes on your butt when the sun is out and the snow pack is worthy of a fun ride. :D

The topo map was interesting to look at....thank you for that ;) It was nice of our government to give such a nice rock pile to the Native Americans for a reservation. I hope there is some farm land near by or some good fishing.

You go back often to getaway for a day or two? Are there any days the wind doesn't blow up there?

The guy in his underwear reminds me of Roger over at backpackinglight.com the Aussie that skis half naked :mrgreen:

Pnw.hiker

Postby Pnw.hiker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:31 pm

zelph wrote:No doubt the lunch counter is the flat place to stop and have lunch 8-) Sure was nice of someone to stack up those rock windbreaks for hikers/climbers/backpackers.

It's the hikers/climbers/backpackers themselves, just clearing a place to make camp, wherever rock is exposed.

zelph wrote:Sure looks like fun to be able to glassade down the snow slopes on your butt when the sun is out and the snow pack is worthy of a fun ride. :D

It's really fun. I don't own an ice axe though, which you should have to moderate speed while glissading, so I don't do it much.

zelph wrote:The topo map was interesting to look at....thank you for that ;) It was nice of our government to give such a nice rock pile to the Native Americans for a reservation. I hope there is some farm land near by or some good fishing.

The US side of the mountain requires a NorthWest Forrest parking pass, and a climbing permit. The Yakima Nation side is free, I think; they've stopped charging for permits to enter. The Yakima side of the mountain is my favorite -- Absolutely pristeen wilderness and almost no one goes there. It's two days of hiking just to reach, and no developed trails - just cougars and mountain goats. I've never seen another person there while passing through.

I stopped fishing years ago, but there are alpine lakes and streams all around Mt. Adams with with good trout fishing. Further south, towards the Columbia, there's salmon and steelhead fishing.

zelph wrote:You go back often to getaway for a day or two? Are there any days the wind doesn't blow up there?
I hit Mt. Adams a few times a year. For some reason Mt. Adams isn't that windy when I go there. Must be coincidence .. the wind screams every time I'm at goat rocks, and they are just a little north of Adams.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Absolutely pristeen wilderness and almost no one goes there. It's two days of hiking just to reach, and no developed trails - just cougars and mountain goats. I've never seen another person there while passing through.

That's the area I would prefer :D Thanks for the info.

Gave up fishing for what other activity?

Pnw.hiker

Postby Pnw.hiker » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 pm

zelph wrote:
Absolutely pristine wilderness and almost no one goes there. It's two days of hiking just to reach, and no developed trails - just cougars and mountain goats. I've never seen another person there while passing through.
That's the area I would prefer :D Thanks for the info.

Gave up fishing for what other activity?

Fishing got a little expensive with all the permits and licenses and tackle. So it's just backpacking for now.
Last edited by Pnw.hiker on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:08 am

Native Americans would probably let you fish for free on the Reservation. A light fly rod and reel and a few choice flies or live bait and you can have a good meal or two not to mention the fun challenge of catching them :D

CJD

Postby CJD » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:31 pm

The Blackfeet reservation allows fishing.

There is a conservation permit. Then, the fishing permit.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:06 pm

I beleive the reservations around here are more "dollar oriented" than most others...

Fishing got a little expensive with all the permits and licenses and tackle. So it's just backpacking for now.

Same reason I gave up here probably ten years ago..besides the regs closing the fishing down whenever it got worthwhile to do it... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

CJD

Postby CJD » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:30 pm

I like all the photos. Nice link.

Are those snowfields glaciers?

If so, it isn't simply a walk-up.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”