cheap ultralight large backpack possibility

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
russb

cheap ultralight large backpack possibility

Postby russb » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:12 am

Anyone seen or tried one of these? I am sure they would not be comfortable for heavy loads, but I wonder about us lightweight backpackers. I am thinking about getting one and trying it out, heck its $10. I figure worse case scenario I can use it for laundry or maybe even use it it conjunction with my 1 lb aluminum pack frame system. Without any further ado:

ImageImage

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=14088806

EDIT: I bought one. With the 20% off coupon the total was $8.64.

Weight: 17.3oz
Volume: 4592 cubic inches main compartment, external pocket adds about 180 more ci

It is basically a giant cylinder with a drawstring closure, 2 padded straps, and a haul loop.
It appears to be constructed with a nylon packcloth material, quite heavy-duty. The inside seems to have a coating (waterproofing?)
The external pocket has a flap closure with velcro, this covers the entire face of the pocket. It is double-thick with the heavy packcloth and a lighter nylon on the inside of the flap. One could easily cut (and fuse-melt) an opening in this flap to make a map holder of sorts.

zelph

Re: cheap ultralight large backpack possibility

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Nice find russb!!!! I'm going to get one and and stuff it full and see how it fits and feels. I'm sure I'll be able to use it for something. The price and size is right.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Postby Allen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:12 am

Thanks russb !

I ordered one today. They're getting low on them, only have black ones left.

Cheers!
Allen

Allen

Postby Allen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:15 am

Black backpacks have better emissivity anyway :)

Cheers!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:10 am

Russb and Zelph, You've had these for a little while, do you see any practicality for backpacking? Does it need a waist belt added? Looks like a military laundry bag I have without the outside pocket.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

russb

Postby russb » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:37 am

RR,

I haven't tried to use it by itself. When I jammed some gear inside it and put it on, I could feel the "plastic seem support" (I don't know what else to call it) against my lower back. I don't know if this was a result of my jamming the bottom of the pack full, and forcing the cylinder to take its shape, or if it would eventually "work itself out". I haven't tried the backpack by itself on a trip. I did mount it to an stripped down external frame (with a hipbelt) and took that on a short trip just to see how it worked. I did have the bag jammed full with tons of winter gear (including a hatchet!) just to push its limits. Probably close to 40lbs!! The entire time I was worried that the straps would not hold the pack to the frame. Seems to have held up fine so my fear was unfounded, but for some reason I am still a little uneasy about trusting this setup on a longer more rigorous trip (again I have no evidence to support this fear). Thus I am still reserving full judgment at this time. My initial impression is that it is an ultra- cheap option for those who need more volume, but you get what you pay for. This summer I plan on trying it out by itself (sans frame) in an area with some relatively challenging terrain, but at no time will I be more than 3 miles from my car in case of structural failure (a figure -eight shaped loop). I will focus my attention on: shoulder strain, contact with lower back (potential issue noted earlier), general "feel" with medium load (20lbs), seem strength of bag. Any thing else you want me to note?

russb

edit: I will also include a gear list of what went inside. I am going to try to use other "cheap" gear too to maintain the theme.

fingerlakeshiker

Postby fingerlakeshiker » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

russ, where did you purchase this bag?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:16 pm

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

fingerlakeshiker

Postby fingerlakeshiker » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:38 pm

thanks, I should have noticed that.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:20 pm

If the pack would rest on a fanny pack, it might take some of the stress of the shoulders.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”