Found a backpack,

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
JBRanger

Found a backpack,

Postby JBRanger » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:26 pm

It's an orange Comet American Camper external frame backpack. Ive weighed it and the whole pack comes in around 4 lbs. the frame alone is 2 lbs. I'm thinking of making a sil nylon pack bag for it. Along with some newer shoulder straps and waist belt. Anyone got any input?

irrationalsolutions

Re: Found a backpack,

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:35 pm

That sounds like a good plan. The new pack and straps would cut the weight some. Personally, my pack is the only place i wont cut the comfort for weight. Im still looking for a pack that is light weight enough and still has the same level of comfort i want in a pack. I want a pack with a frame so im intrested to see how this turns out. Good luck!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks. Yea, my osprey is okay but for pounds above 25 the straps are garbage. Most of the time I am just under 25 with food and water but I will soon be doing some camping with my daughter and I'm sure the extra weight will push me to the 30-35 lb mark. I figure an external frame is overkill but still.

The frame is STRONG. I can quite literally use it as a lean to step ladder! :o

My plan is for a mesh back panel for my back to rest against, a molle web belt (unless I can figure out simple sewn on pockets) and a yoke style harness for shoulder straps.

I also plan on making a compression panel and a sil nylon pack bag. This way I can squeeze extra gear between the panel and bag. At least that's the idea.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Just food for thought but what i have thought about in the past was taking a cheap heavy pack from walmart that has a comfortable internal frame and cutting the internal frame and back off the pack. Then sewing a pack together using the back with the internal frame in it. Personally the only external frame i like is the alice pack frame. Just another option to think about. I may work on that some after i finish the project im vather materials for now.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Yea, I've considered that as well. However, I think the better way is to make a lightweight frame. The Alice is nice but heavy. It's listed as 3.8 lbs just for the frame!

Another thought is there is an external at academy right now for 39$. It has a nice plastic frame. The attachments are very kifaru-esque. That could be another route to go for cheaply.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Zelph your link is screwed up.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:39 pm

try this

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:43 pm

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 am

Interesting.

My plan is to use a large sack as the main body (probably 4000 CI) in size. The shoulder harness will attach to the bag OR the external frame. This will allow a modular type setup in times where I need to carry more or less weight. :DP:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Modular sounds cool.

Laundry bags at Bed Bath and Beyond were interesting last year. Check them out this year. You might find one that can be part of the modular system.

RussB started this laundrybag thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=552&hilit=laundry+bag

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”