Minimalist Backpack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
JesterJosev

Minimalist Backpack

Postby JesterJosev » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:15 pm

The season started a little while ago for me, my first weekend camping trip of the year took me to Golden Ears Park in BC, Canada. The weather is beautiful now, the sun is out, and we were lounging on the beach at a balmy 20 degrees Celsius. The nights are still chilly though, I remember that second night when the temperature dipped down to 0 degrees Celsius; nothing that another pair of socks couldn’t take care of.
My next planned hike is a 30km day hike into Garibaldi Park (I’ll be sure to say hi to the Whiskey Jacks for ya Connie!), stretching from almost sea level, to alpine heights in the mountains. So I figured it would be great a good time to think ahead and pick up a hiking day pack. After a little shopping around I decided to pick up the Gossamer Gear Minimalist. A few things about the pack appealed to me. 1) Weight/Comfort: I know some folks love to get the lightest possible gear available, but after a little personal experience I have come to realize that the knowledge of a little excess weight in the right features may reward itself many times over. The pack is light, very light at 250 grams all together. The comfort comes into play with the small bit of foam back pad (19 grams) that spreads some of the weight from bulky items that rest against our backs.
2) Although it doesn’t have tons of features, the ones that it does are essential. For me I agree with the value of the hydration system loop, sure it’s a small addition but I really like to be able to concentrate on hiking, instead of concentrating on drinking. The mesh on the back may seem like chaos to some folks, but to me it looks like a great idea, that way I can see what I want instead of searching through pockets.
3) The price is right too, normally its $75, and with the 20% off that comes to $60
My only concern is the lack of zipper on the mesh; I might have to sew one on to make sure I have all the stuff at the end of the trip that I put in there.

ConnieD

Re: Minimalist Backpack

Postby ConnieD » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 pm

Good to hear from you. Say hey to the whiskey jacks.

I have considered that pack. I like packs with mesh back pockets.

Maybe a clip tether, much like that for a hat, would work for you. Works for me.

Ah, BC Canada. Beautiful place.

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Yea Connie, hows life treating ya? You should come on up, plenty of woods to hike/camp in! :lol:

So after doing some thinking I called up Gossamer Gear, and left a message to ask and see if is too late to cancel the order before it ships. The lack of any zipper/clip is kinda urking me, I'm worried that I might lose my camera, or something on the trail. I still really like the pack, and wouldn't mind paying a bit more for some form of cinch or zipper. That being I feel kinda guilty because I have respect for small business, and I'm not trying to jerk anyone around here. I just want a pack that I'm happy with, and not afraid stuffs gonna fall out when jump over a log. :oops:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 pm

When we pay good money for a product we expect the best ;)

Forking out that amount we should have at least a zipper ;)

Connie is well informed........Thank you Connie :D

Thank you Jester for bringing to mind the Minimalist :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Yea thats what I thought too Zelph! Well who knows many I'll like it the moment I see it, if not its good to know they have a good return policy. I hope I didn't give off the impression that I don't think Connie is well informed. I've been to her website a few times now and I know shes on her game as far as experiance, and information. I look for her opinion when I post different ideas to test the waters.
Yea well we'll see about the pack. I'd like to look it over and maybe make a small commentary if I choose to send it back.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 am

I hope I didn't give off the impression that I don't think Connie is well informed. I've been to her website a few times now and I know shes on her game as far as experiance, and information. I look for her opinion when I post different ideas to test the waters.

No wrong impression given. :D I marvel at the amount of information Connie has accumilated on her web site and is so kind to share it here with us. Thanks again Connie :DB:

and here is a little bit of eye candy of Golden Ears Park in BC, Canada..........enjoy :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=Golden+ ... 80&bih=852

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 am

Well I sent the backpack back. The hunt continues, so far I see some great deals at GoLite with the Rush 20L *removed link* I'm going to look over the threads and see what other folks have done for a light weight day pack. Thanks for posting the photos Zelph!
Last edited by JesterJosev on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 04, 2012 5:19 pm

JesterJosev wrote:Well I sent the backpack back. The hunt continues, so far I see some great deals at GoLite with the Rush 20L http://www.golite.com/Rush-20L-Pack-Unisex-P46810.aspx
I'm going to look over the threads and see what other folks have done for a light weight day pack. Thanks for posting the photos Zelph!

It's unisex.................I want a "man" pack :mrgreen:

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Sat May 05, 2012 9:36 pm

I wonder if unisex backpacks are a compromise for both males and females?

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 06, 2012 11:26 am

JesterJosev wrote:I wonder if unisex backpacks are a compromise for both males and females?

I don't think compromise is a good thing when it comes to a backpack you will carry for miles at a time.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”