Minimalist Backpack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
zelph

Re: Minimalist Backpack

Postby zelph » Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Since I've been working hard these last two weeks my arm and lower back muscles have gone into overdrive. My pack size can now be increased in size/capacity. :lol:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Sat May 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Haha right on Zelph, well I decided to pick up the 20liter golite rush pack. It seems like a good pack that takes high activity, and capacity into consideration. I've seen people running around with 12L packs and they don't have enough room for essential day hike items such as a rain jacket, or a cook kit. That being said its important to take into consideration that different people have different needs.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 am

I like comfort so I will suffer a little extra weight. I need the small stainless steel Kelly Kettle as my pot/windscreen. It is carried outside my pack.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 pm

I have the golite race and speed both about 2lbs and 2700-3000CI..but they are too large and sloppy for a day hike unless you fill them or line them with a foam pad for support.The Rush 20 looks like a good size for day hiking.The unisex idea I think is basically to cut it down to two sizes(small/medium and medium large) to simplfy construction and make it available at a cheaper price.
I have a problem with finding something for my wife at 5 feet tall,small,short torso,and roughly 110lbs..We are kind of looking at the Rush 8 for her as a dayhiker,and at only 10oz..might work okay..except for the "one size" factor...but it may fit me if too large for her.The 8 doesn't have the back pocket..but at $35..I can add that outside pocket and equipment loops to the straps... :roll:

JJ..They don't allow you at Golite's website to find out the shipping costs until after you fill everything out (STUPID! :evil: )
What's the cost of shipping on yours?We are trying to get an idea of that before ordering anything...ours would be Boulder to Seattle...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Sun May 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Reality guy, you bring up a good point. I find when people talk about their gear system they tend to focus on sleeping (shelter, sleeping bag), and eating (stove system), of which are important. That being said the backpack kind of take the back shelf when it comes to some of the circles that I frequent. I would go as far as saying that your backpack is one of the more important aspects of our kit due to the fact that some of us hike for many kilometers with the same bag on, this has an effect on our safety and enjoyment during any outdoor excursion, and therefore deserves some consideration before picking one up.
I’m a Canuck from the West coast, near the second Seattle (we call it Vancouver), and I paid just under $13.00 shipping. Golite’s online processing requires that international orders are done by phone, even if you’re in Canada.

Zelph: I don't mean to hyjack my own thread so I might repost this in a more appropriate thread so that others can converse, but I saw your comment about Kelly Kettles :shock: very cool. Sure its a little heavy, but you don't need to carry 8oz of fuel for an extended trip, and it takes the pot weight into consideration I'm guessing.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 21, 2012 12:09 am

I agree, the backpack is important.

However, I think it should be the last purchase.

First, assemble the things you want to carry, the things you need and like. Put it in a sack. Take it to the store.

Try on packs. Load up your stuff.

You will quickly find out the size and volume pack, and, if it is a comfortable carry.

How? Walk around in the store, squat, kneel, lean over to pick something up. How important is any of that for your backpacking trips? Do you want to take your pack off and on for every little thing?

After you have done all that, noticing if the shoulder straps are comfortable, or, if you need help from the store personnel to adjust the pack. If it isn't comfortable in 10 minutes or 20 minutes, it will never be the right pack. Maybe the shoulder straps are too wide or too narrow.

Maybe it will never be the right pack load?

Maybe you will need to make changes in your gear carried? I think so, if there is no right pack.

I would not consider a minimalist pack, unless all my gear was lightweight or ultralightweight.

If you want to try a pack only available online, find out if you can return it if the tags are still on it and it is clean.

I think this approach will save $$$ and make backpacking much more enjoyable.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 21, 2012 12:54 am

The wife and I have different priorities for what we carry,even hiking together.I use water bottles for day hikes and need an accessible bottle without removing the pack..the same with a smaller digital camera,some trail mix,and other smaller items I don't care to remove a pack to acquire from it.Some packs are impossible to reach a water bottle,unless you are a contortionist.I don't care for the taste of hydration bladders..and usually carry juice,margarita mix(ed), or iced tea/coffee instead of water..other reasons the bladder doesn't work well for me for day hikes.
I also prefer equipment straps down the front of the shoulder straps for clipping on a small knife,firestarter,p38 can opener,goat spray,and other small easy to lose and hard to find items once in the bottom of a pack.A smaller back pocket like the R20 is handy..verses not having one on the R8..especially for the wife with her cell phone,small personal items,FAK, and benadryl for emergencies for bee stings.Some things you do not want to search for.
We do have a couple torso packs that convert to full height day packs(pacific crest and kelty)..which weigh less than 1lb.The top area always stays up with the shoulder straps,never used as a torso pack..room for jackets,raingear,and other lightweight items besides extra water or juice in bottles,lunch,and other larger, lighter items.I've added more straps across the exterior sides and back for more equipment outside the few times we need it..or drying wet jackets,packing sandy beach shoes,etc.A little strapping,small caribiners, may add a whole ounce or two but comes in very handy.
I have yet to find a decent day pack with everything I require and still maintain that 1lb limit I require also.My revised torso one comes pretty close.Unfortunately the Pacific Crest(labelled)company went out of business or I'd be buying three more.It doesn't feel like you are packing anything at all.
I don't generally carry a lot of survival gear but pack the basics for the better weather I normally hike in(tarp,warm clothes) and need a lower(below waist) pocket for food and cooking gear..but I do pack enough to survive a night in the woods somewhat comfortably if needed.Cooking on day hikes at the most can be noodles, coffee press/pot,and maybe even a baked dessert(local berries in season)..and I normally carry enough fuel for 3-4 meals(say 8-10oz heet..outside mesh pocket that doesn't have a water bottle)along with a 2oz stove,ziploc insulated pot,etc...even if we plan only one meal.
Waist belt pockets..end up carrying toilet paper,extra socks,or other "padding" items..so I hope they didn't waste weight by adding padding there.Most day packs don't even need waist belts..but something very lightweight and simple works for adding a small camera bag.Lately I've been using a "pet treats" bag for packing a camera.the top has a drawstring with a cordlock..ever since a velcroed LowePro one dumped my good digital in the sand.. :roll: The doggy treat ones work great for powerbars,trailmix,and jerky also...I don't need the dog. :mrgreen:
Occasionally I carry a water bottle up on the front shoulder straps equipment loops with a neck noose for the bottle and a cordlock/bungee on the lower portion to stop sway..That works fine,weighs nothing,and easy/quick for access.
Some omitted necessities on day packs can be overcome with lightweight ingenuity... ;) As I said,I have yet to see a daypack with everything I need and am not afraid to modify one to fit MY bill.
JJ..that's in the area around Seattle and the ONP/Coastal areas..so I know what conditions you are in also..similar ones.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Mon May 21, 2012 1:16 am

You’re right on the money Connie, and I learnt that lesson myself when I ordered the Minimalist pack from Gossamer. I liked the bag but sadly it was an issue of not having any zippers/clasps that resulted in me sending it back. I guess there is no such thing as the perfect pack, but that just gives me incentive to take matters into my own hands (sewing machine) and make it right for me! Taking your stuff to the store is a good idea, and when I pick up my overnight bag I’m going to do just that. For now I’m looking for a day bag that can carry a
-few liters of water (camel back hook)
-rain gear, food
-$1 poncho (its ultra light, and has saved my skin when I wasn't prepared in the past)
-shirt
-stove, pot, fuel, plastic bowl, spoon
-care kit (first aid kit, sun block, insect repellant, stick of deodorant, Tylenol, alcohol wipe)
-sun glasses
-matches
-knife
-handheld radio
-driver license, bank card, quarter
-bandana
-pen flashlight
-Grocery bag
-map
-Canon S90 camera, Gorilla Pod
Ok, after writing everything out I’m very happy that I went with the 20L pack, the 12L pack would have just been too small for a full days hike.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 am

There is some down right useful, down to earth great information in this thread that I will want to refer to in the future so I made it into a "sticky" thread that will remain at the top of this forum.

Thanks everyone for sharing your insigths into the "Minimalist Backpack" :D

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:43 am

Realityguy: I've been meaning to respond to your post for the last week or so now, I recognize that you put some thought into the post, but work has been hectic. Water is important to me too, and I would rather have too much than too little. I personally like pure water so I don't have too many issues with the camelback bladders. I can also agree that having bit of straps on your shoulder straps/wherever is valuable. It’s nice to see that I'm in the company of informed hikers. That final point rings true about being able to DIY, and I think that your post starts to legitimize my posting of this thread in the DIY portion of the forum (my mistake). At some point it’s just about picking up the needle and thread and making the gear that you want, even if it’s from a preexisting piece of gear.
Zelph: Thanks for making the sticky; I want to contribute more to this thread for continued discussion.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”