Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
ConnieD

Re: Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 11, 2011 11:57 am

I saw a hammock hanger ran out of a state park for his "damaging trees" but he used rope.
The "rangers" would not budge until he packed up and left the state park. I couldn't believe it.
It was Oregon.

I know, in Montana, you have to use wide webbing for a "high line" for horses.
I haven't tried a hammock here, except at a remote U.S. Forest Service campsite on the Clark Fork.

How is the pack selection going? Find something?

In fact, when you get your lightweight gear sorted, why not give us a thread just for that?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 11, 2011 1:07 pm

The protectors I have are 24" long pieces of 2" nylon strapping with the velcro ties sewn on each end.They wrap around the hammock hanging straps with the velcro holding them in place.Another advantage of the things is that I found out the hard way that the coastal firs are LOADED and COVERED with pitch,creating quite a mess on whatever you hang your hammock with and anything they touch afterwards(like the rest of your hammock!).Now the only thing pitchy is the protectors which get rolled or folded and put into a sandwich bag for the protection of everything else. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Last year, my hammock webbing made a mark on the trees that they were attached to. :o They break the edges of the bark. :cry:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri May 13, 2011 5:20 pm

zelph wrote:Last year, my hammock webbing made a mark on the trees that they were attached to. :o They break the edges of the bark. :cry:

Pick a smooth barked tree if you are concerned about leaving no marks or go to the ground! :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Not concerned about the marks left. Just thought I'd mention it for those that that say the "tree huggers" leave no marks.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:59 am

I couldn't resist the fannypack for less than $31 as I'm sure it will come in handy during hunting and fishing trips and possibly day hikes. Here are my initial impressions. The pack is well made and has four quick release points for added accessories. The fabric does seem to have a waterproof coating on it. Pockets galore and more spacious than I anticipated. You can lash a jacket on top, in the front, or even on the bottom if you add another set of straps as there are two lashing points on the bottom. There are also 4 D-rings; one on each side of the belt and one on each shoulder strap. There are two main compartments with a flap that conceals the zipper to keep moisture out. The only negative that I see as of now is if you are a large waisted person, the belt may be too small. I wear a 38-40" waist belt and the pack fits good. A 46" waist may be a snug fit :o Here are a few pics of the pack:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sudden, I have my 8x10 rainfly, my entire backwoods kitchen, and my diawa mini-cast rod and reel in the top compartment. The bottom compartment contains a plano tacklebox, a rain jacket, and my Speers hammock. This pack has a lot of options and more pockets to fill. :lol:
Oh, I bought the pack at amazon.com with free shipping ;) Dang, they raised their price by $2.65. Still a good deal. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Pathfinder-Shoulder-Realtree/dp/B003DW8NBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307423839&sr=1-1-catcorr
I think they are offering the Bear Grylls? ultimate survival knife for $39 dollars with free shipping also if anyone is interested :|
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000751-Survival-Ultimate-Serrated/dp/B003R0LSMO/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:46 am

Nice setup RR. That's the idea I'm working on. How does it feel when hiking? Does it keep the weight down on your hips?

I'm still working on my hammock (waiting on some rope). I already have the pack laid out the way I want it. It doesn't have as much storage as yours but the idea is that less capacity will keep me from overloading it. I have small velcro straps that need attached. I plan to use them to secure a short fishing pole (~3.5ft long for each half).
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:24 am

Looks good..so you can still strap a bag on top to the back of the shoulder straps for even more space for light bulky gear or clothes on top?.Do the shoulder straps fold into a zippered pocket?What's the weight empty?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:47 pm

realityguy wrote:Looks good..so you can still strap a bag on top to the back of the shoulder straps for even more space for light bulky gear or clothes on top?.Do the shoulder straps fold into a zippered pocket?What's the weight empty?

Sure, you could strap a bag, wet jacket, etc. to the top of the pack using the included top compartment straps or use your own strap to attach to the shoulder straps. The padded waist belt is removable but unfortunately, the shoulder straps are not. The one thingI really liked was how comfortable it felt on me. The sternum strap is in the right place and not too high like several packs I own. This pack is made from a cordura and will take some abuse so it is not ultralight at a smidge over 2 lbs. I am very pleased with the amount of storage it has for a fanny type pack and will get serious us come bow season. ;)

Nice setup RR. That's the idea I'm working on. How does it feel when hiking? Does it keep the weight down on your hips?

Sudden, the pack sits nicely on the hips with most of the weight on the waistbelt.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”