Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
sudden

Re: Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

Postby sudden » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm

ridebks wrote:Here's an idea...get a big dog and put a pack on it! Let the pooch do the work!

Got that one covered already. He has his own pack and he's been practicing his carrying skills with 4 water bottles inside.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 10, 2011 10:29 am

If I had a dog..he'd at least have to carry a six pack... :roll: ..maybe something for him too.. :lol: I wonder if I can get one for a fat cat... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue May 10, 2011 10:35 am

The subload system I'm referring to is this....
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 12f5db1245

Basically a MOLLE panel that you could attach a large utility pouch to. I for one, find them not so great for hiking but it seems you're only going a short distance. (shrugs) It's just another option.

But honestly for what you want (short hikes to fishing holes) I'd say a small lumbar pack like previously mentioned with a pole that can either be broken down (fly rod) or a retractable pole (some do exist) with a SMALL neck lanyard with flys and/or other fishing lures. Let that be your fishing kit.

As for hammock, get a Grand Trunk Nano 7 or Traveler and small mosquito net (if wanted/needed). A HH stock Asymmetrical tarp or other small tarp could be used not only as rain gear but a tarp as well if rain comes along. Setup the Grand Trunk with Whoopie Slings and maybe an adjustable ridgeline (to get a flatter lay).

Thinking about this further that would make one HECK of a lightweight day (single overnight) "fishing hole" kit. Hrmmm...... ;)

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue May 10, 2011 2:00 pm

JBRanger wrote:The subload system I'm referring to is this....
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 12f5db1245

Basically a MOLLE panel that you could attach a large utility pouch to.

As for hammock, get a Grand Trunk Nano 7

Thinking about this further that would make one HECK of a lightweight day (single overnight) "fishing hole" kit. Hrmmm...... ;)

OK, I get the drop leg now. Wasn't sure what you meant. Like cargo pants but heavy duty.

I found that grand trunk for $41 at amazon.com. It's probably hard to diy one for that low price. I have some tree straps that would work well with it. They are from old tree stands. Here in PA we are not allowed to leave a mark on any public land trees, so years ago they converted climbing tree stands to strap vs. bite. The straps add weight but are required anywhere I might go.

There are lots of people here who take advantage of the "rails to trails" program to do just that kind of fishing. The old rail lines run through some of the best trout waters. Park at the trail head, hike out, fish your way back over a day or two.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 10, 2011 5:22 pm

I found that grand trunk for $41 at amazon.com. It's probably hard to diy one for that low price. I have some tree straps that would work well with it. They are from old tree stands. Here in PA we are not allowed to leave a mark on any public land trees, so years ago they converted climbing tree stands to strap vs. bite. The straps add weight but are required anywhere I might go.

You might be surprised Sudden. For about $10, you can make a very comfortable DIY hammock with webbed straps to hang it to a tree and leave no marks ;) This was my first DIY project other than stoves :D
http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue May 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

You might be surprised Sudden. For about $10, you can make a very comfortable DIY hammock with webbed straps to hang it to a tree and leave no marks ;) This was my first DIY project other than stoves :D
http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

Someone showed me that before (probably you). I should have priced out the material. If I can do the same for ~$10 then it's a no-brainer to diy it (even at twice that cost). Thanks for reminding me. I'll go to walmart tomorrow.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 pm

If the price has gone up on the webbing or they don't have any, you can find what you need on the web for about $5.50
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-yard-roll-POLYPRO-1-BLACK-WEBBING-Polypropylene-NEW-/290555923687?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a67b8ce7
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Just the experience of sewing your own is worth the $10 it costs to do so... ;) ..I think you'll find it'll be a start to a lot of MYOG...A hammock is an easy project to do for starters and pretty tough to screw it up..especially if you buy material for $1 a yard..and you only need about 4 yards for the "hammock" portion.
Bug mesh is usually $1-2 a yard..nylon strapping can usually be found in thrift stores,even on old packs,tie-down straps for pickups..harbor freight,etc..Something is always on sale that has the strapping.
Need any advice or info..email and ask the people here that have made hammocks and tents.Most,like me, are glad to help or give advice.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue May 10, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm good on the webbing but need the ripstop.

I dug out that old White sewing machine but haven't got around to trying it again (not too hopeful). At least I have a manual now. I'm giving it one more chance now that I know a bit more. It has a lot of little extra parts that I still need to see in use.

I really am looking forward to making my own gear. I found one video showing how to sew ripstop. That guy had to help it along by pulling it at the back to help the foot feed it. Now I know why you like the top/bottom presser foot. Forgive me if I got the terminology wrong.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 11, 2011 12:36 am

My nylon for my homemade gear hasn't been ripstop stuff for most of it..but I range 170-190lbs with what's in the hammock(myself and gear)..others may be heavier and need heavier material(and ripstop).I found a large bunch of taffeta at the local thrift stores for about 25 cents a lineal yard(44-46" width),some of it coated..most about 2oz stuff (weight per square yard).It seems to be sufficient for my weight factor. At first I had my doubts about stitching in the field area with installing sleeves inside for camping pads and strips of pockets..but that seems to be holding up fine also.
I do use 1" wider "tree hugger" straps(made my second set myself after buying one set) and strips of 2" wide webbing with velcroed ends(velcro holds the wider strips between the straps and trees) for more protection for the trees in case hardnose rangers get uppity about hanging things from trees.Not very many people use hammocks around here..probably about a 10 to 1 ratio in favor of tents..so it always pays to let rangers know in advance that you are looking for camp spots with "hanging" trees to keep on good terms with them,if you think they may be around where and when you are camping.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”