Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
JBRanger

Re: Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

Postby JBRanger » Mon May 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Wouldn't the attachment and such on these packs make it the same as carrying a backpack except the weight is lower? Could you not just use a lightweight pack and do the same thing? Adjust it so the weight rides on the hips instead of the shoulders which I believe is exactly what Connie was saying. Not trying to talk you out of it. Just it may offer more "functionality". Just thinking out loud.

Another thought.... if you can't carry due to your spine, maybe a small lumbar pack and drop legs subloads with GP pouches? Sure, they're a whole different beast in their own right but with a large GP pouch per side you could carry quite a bit. Just a thought.

Are you planning on hiking with this setup? Or just camping? Maybe I missed that.

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Here is some info on that last pask:

Removable waist belt with 4 Buddy-Lock accessory attachment points, adjustable sturnaum strap
Lash tabs on the bottom of the pack

That's more like the kind I used when hunting but with shoulder straps. I like the removable feature. Hard to beat that price. That's also something I might find locally.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 09, 2011 5:01 pm

JBRanger wrote:Wouldn't the attachment and such on these packs make it the same as carrying a backpack except the weight is lower? Could you not just use a lightweight pack and do the same thing? Adjust it so the weight rides on the hips instead of the shoulders which I believe is exactly what Connie was saying. Not trying to talk you out of it. Just it may offer more "functionality". Just thinking out loud.

Another thought.... if you can't carry due to your spine, maybe a small lumbar pack and drop legs subloads with GP pouches? Sure, they're a whole different beast in their own right but with a large GP pouch per side you could carry quite a bit. Just a thought.

Are you planning on hiking with this setup? Or just camping? Maybe I missed that.

Just short hikes is all. But I want to carry enough to stay out for a day. Some water, coffee, snacks, lightweight stove, and I'm really thinking a simple lightweight hammock would be awesome to have along. Possibly a small fly rod/reel.

"maybe a small lumbar pack and drop legs subloads with GP pouches"

Can you explain this idea in more detail?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 09, 2011 5:25 pm

JBR, he is wanting to hike about 400 yds to some good (hopefully ;) ) fishing holes.

Sudden, do you have difficulties getting a regular backpack on and hoisted up into position? I noticed the fabric on the camo fanny pack is waterproof; another plus ;)

JBRanger, is the system you are referring to a storage system in you pant legs?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Whatever you choose, you want the suspension to transfer the weight into a comfortable-to-you waist belt (resting on the iliac crest of the pelvis) so the weight transfers to the legs: the legs have the most largest and most powerful muscles in the human body.

Help protect your feet with suitable footwear.

Help protect your knees with hiking sticks.

The "odd" thing for me is I do not find more padding in the waistbelt to be comfortable.

I find the curved or grooved or open-pocket waist belts to fit just right. I have seen people comfortable with only a webbing waiststrap under the "love handles". Go figure!

That is "why" trying on a pack with the stuff you expect to carry is so important. If not the stuff, the weight of the stuff. It is my experience, the stores are very accomodating, and, very patient with trying on the packs they have.

If it isn't a lot of money, I don't care if they have an exchange policy. I can find someone to give it.
Last edited by ConnieD on Mon May 09, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 09, 2011 6:59 pm

I have seen at least 2 posts on backpacking forums where hammock users have had their hammock fall to the ground while in it, because of improper hanging. Hurting themselves for sure. Others can chime in here if they have heard/read the same thing.

Be sure of your hammock skills befor going that route. You don't need any more aches and pains in the column ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 09, 2011 7:00 pm

I would add:

If you are using knots, be sure of the knots you select and be sure of your knots.

There are sewn loops for the Tree Huggers webbing, and, carabiners, or toggles.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 09, 2011 7:16 pm

ConnieD wrote:I would add:

If you are using knots, be sure of the knots you select and be sure of your knots.

There are sewn loops for the Tree Huggers webbing, and, carabiners, or toggles.

Good add on :D

Take a look how the aluminum frame on this carrier goes straight to the waist. Pinpoint concentration, no weight on spine. Modify it to make it work, nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)
Attachments
Kelty KIDS 001.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ridebks

Postby ridebks » Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Here's an idea...get a big dog and put a pack on it! Let the pooch do the work!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 09, 2011 7:53 pm

ridebks wrote:Here's an idea...get a big dog and put a pack on it! Let the pooch do the work!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Or a horse or pack mule ;)

Zelph, I have dropped to the ground in one of my "test hammocks" as i did not tie it good and the other time, I had let it sit out all winter in the pines and the strapping rotted on me and failed once i was lying comfortably. If I can run into a deer at 45-50mph and live thru it a 1-2 ft drop is not going to do too much damage but it did not feel good :lol: and it is wise to mention this in light of Sudden's desire to use a light weight hammock ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”