Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
zelph

Re: Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

Postby zelph » Sun May 08, 2011 10:18 pm

When you see it in person you'll get more ideas. Just sit and look at it for a day and let some ideas flow before you cut. Measure twice, cut once :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ridebks

Postby ridebks » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Attachments
mountainsmith.jpg

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 pm

zelph wrote:When you see it in person you'll get more ideas. Just sit and look at it for a day and let some ideas flow before you cut. Measure twice, cut once :D

I agree. I'm not cutting anything if I can help it. Just go slow and see what ideas pop up.

I still have a leak to fix on the campervan so I have time to figure out the pack.I found a leak in the gray water tank. Fortunately it's easy to get to. Time to make some of my special acetone plus computer panel patch glop.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but if you have an older holding tank, it is probably ABS. If you have some plastic parts with the ABS symbol you just chop them up (or not) and dissolve them in acetone. I squash some into the crack then paint the rest onto fiberglass strips. Makes a perfect patch.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 pm

ridebks wrote:this looks promising!
http://www.hudsontrail.com/viewItem/19/159/2190/

I saw that one. The problem I'm having with all of them is that I can't find any of the bigger ones locally to try on. It's hard to tell by the photos how it will carry. I have hunting packs that are similar but smaller. The nice thing about that type of pack is that you can rotate it around to the front for access.

I pretty much have my mind made up now that the combination lumbar pack plus shoulder straps is the way to go. Even though I'm trying to get weight off my shoulders, having the ability to fine tune by using shoulder straps makes sense.

zelph is sending me the pack in his photo for a potential diy version (thanks again zelph). If I can get the pocket portion of that pack to sit low, or modify it to take a diy pouch, it would make a nice lumbar pack. The shoulder and waist straps are better quality than any of the cheaper ones I was looking at.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 am

Most of the kelty kid's carriers are pretty small in the torso length area,mostly made for women..but they do have a good suspension system if it'll fit a person and made to haul squirmy kids.I've used them for hauling large format cameras(speed graphics and view cameras,3x4-5x7) and all their gear(tripod,filmholders,lenses,light meters,darkcloth,and all the other junk you need).It's still pretty much a regular backpack as far as how it carries..

You probably can modify it and retain a portion of the crossed expanding metal frame for standing,but depending on your size it may not fit right yet.They have a seat portion on top and usually a diaper bag that is slung below,just clipped to the frame and sitting on the lower "shelf".
Personally..I've kept a couple for my use..and buy a lot of them,especially this time of year because they resell well locally for $50-60 to people that need them for hiking with their still packable kids..until they get big enough to walk..then they discard them back to the local thrift stores for "guess who" to rebuy,resell. :lol:
I used to sell them on ebay for even more..for people in areas that didn't have a good supply of used items.
If you check it out and decide you can't modify it to work or it is too small....and before hacking it up..consider reselling it locally on craigs or on ebay and take the $50 you might get to invest in something that will fit better for your needs..
If you do decide to resell it...double check that it is not a recalled model(google "kelty kids recall").Some had a bad adjustable seat clamp setup in the child seat area that could come undone and allow the child to fall out the bottom..but I think they were some of the 'trek' blue ones..mid 1990s...They had a rolled strap end that could wear and come unsewn,slip through the clip .
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Maybe Mountainsmith, or, a seller of Mountainsmith online, would allow you to order it and return it, if you tried it inside the house or otherwise kept it clean and you kept all the packaging material and labels on it?

REI has a "return" policy. I have heard others have.

Maybe like that one you pictured?

I have heard Cabelas or Sportsman's Guide allow returns for full refund.

Doesn't hurt to ask, in email, or on their telephone line. I prefer email to have a record.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Sudden, a couple more day packs to look into are:

Mountainsmith heritage....854 c.i.
mountainsmith day pack...854 c.i.
Kelty Jaunt...................750 c.i.

Best buys on ebay;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Sudden, here is one that is relatively inexpensive compared to the Bone Collector model you posted or the nice Badlands model for $130 :o too salty for my likin'

http://cgi.ebay.com/Realtree-AP-Pathfinder-Eight-Pockets-Fanny-Pack-19180-/150602992818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2310a34cb2

Uses the buddy-loc system on each side. I have a water bottle holder and gps pouch that would snap on each side. I might have to order one :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 09, 2011 4:44 pm

connied, I'm probably lazy but I don't like buying and trying and sending back till I get it right.

realityguy, that's a good point about the kids pack. I better check the fit of the waist strap before anything else :D .

ridgerunner, I'll keep an eye out for those packs too. ty.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Here is some info on that last pask:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Features
Cubic inch capacity is 990
Wide shoulder straps, silent zippers, waterproof fabric
Dual cinch straps accomodates lashing of clothing and accessories
Removable waist belt with 4 Buddy-Lock accessory attachment points, adjustable sturnaum strap
Lash tabs on the bottom of the pack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Description
Product Description
Allen Pathfinder 8Pkt Realtreeap. Pathfinder 8 Pocket Fanny Pack 990 Cu. Inch Capacity Wide Shoulder Straps, Silent Zipper Pulls, Made From Waterproof Fabric Dual Cinch Straps Accommodate Lashing Of Jackets & Accessories Removeable Waist Belt W/4 Buddy Lock Accessory Attachment Points, Ad

Product Details
Product Dimensions: 4 x 18 x 15.5 inches
Shipping Weight: 2.5 pounds

Almost 1000 ci. of organized storage for $37 with lashing points and extra storage options with the buddy-lok system

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”