Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
realityguy

Re: Why shouldn't I buy an alice pack?

Postby realityguy » Sun May 08, 2011 12:02 pm

As I bend forward, the weight of the stuff in the rear of the pack puts resistance on the waist against the belt area, does not allow the pack to raise up when bending. The thick front portion digs into the belly.

Sounds like a belly problem..not a pack problem.. :lol:

The leki poles are good..but if they have the extended horizontal "cane" handle..I whacked mine off..worthless for hiking and puts more torque on wrists than necessary when you really need them.I just left the loop area for tent ties,a thumb hole,and have several ways now to hold them..other than the one tortuous way they expected you to use it..

If you decide to make the modification..and don't like it..Don't blame me.It does work better for me for tent use and trail use..some people might prefer the other style of handle than vertical depending on their use..The only way I felt safe with the extension is to hold them in reverse with the handle sticking out.. :roll: ..This way I can put my hand over the top,thumb through the hole,grab around the thing in a normal ski pole grip,etc..The small hole the strap was in I use for cross pieces between two poles for the front of tents..fits fiberglass or easton aluminum poles well.I can carry the entire front 'A' of a 2-person tent by using just a small 12-18" section of tent pole,using the two lekis for the rest.
The turkey backpack..seems like a waste of strapping and space.I'd modify it with an added extra bag for lighter bulky stuff that won't fit down below..extra clothes,super light bag, and other stuff that is too bulky to carry otherwise that might be more comfort/warmth left behind otherwise.I can think of 1-2lbs of items that add a LOT to the comfort of the trip,including seat pads,foam pads,the tarp,poncho,space blanket,and a box of donuts to eat with your coffee while fishing... :mrgreen: That could all go into an upper "bag" without you noticing the difference. ;)
Did that turkey thing list the weight?It might weigh a lot more than a homemade pack that would hold more...
I am basing what I'm writing on my structure/weight,etc..others more than likely will need something totally different than me..just some things to consider though.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 08, 2011 12:07 pm

That pictured one has lots of room, really, if going ultralight or even lightweight.

Those straps allow for tucking in gear, like a rain jacket, poncho or tarp.

Only be sure to "tether" it so it doesn't fall out further back on the trail.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Yeah..I like finding goodies on the trail... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 08, 2011 12:44 pm

realityguy,

I know what you mean about turning the leki grips around. I'm keeping them as is since I can use one of them for an ordinary cane.

I remember you found yours for ~$3 too :(. It's harder to part with chunks of something you paid full price for :oops: .

I found a few inexpensive packs online that include shoulder straps and the lumbar pack (ridgerunners idea). I'm trying to find one locally so I can try it out. The one I pictured looks the best, but I might do better at that price looking for a full pack on ebay.

I can't find much used hiking gear for sale nearby. I'll bet if you charted the availability of used hiking gear vs. geographic location you could show where all the couch potato's live. (tries to find pelvic bone, oops, nevermind).
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 08, 2011 12:53 pm

If the traditional-style pack has a great waistbelt suspension, you can transfer the load to the iliac crests of the pelvis.

...a very little tightening and very little loosening straps makes the difference.

I am worried, if you got a traditional-style pack it would have a tendency to "fill itself up".

That would easily put you over your weigh limit.

Besides, most traditional-style packs weight more than 3 lbs, except the packs I list at my website are 2.5 lbs maximum weight. If not, how could I say they are lightweight?

I have an idea:

Why not give us our four days and three nights "Survival Challenge" anyone? video? Huh? Huh?

ridebks

Postby ridebks » Sun May 08, 2011 2:51 pm

What about this...Dixon Rollerpacks
Attachments
dixon.jpg
dixon.jpg (12.94 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 08, 2011 4:08 pm

ridebks wrote:What about this...Dixon Rollerpacks

I used to own something just like that. We used them to haul deer out of the woods. The problem is the really terrible jarring you get when the wheel hits something it doesn't like. You have no warning since it's behind you.

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 08, 2011 4:17 pm

ConnieD wrote:
I have an idea:

Why not give us our four days and three nights "Survival Challenge" anyone? video? Huh? Huh?

Or a three hour tour even :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 08, 2011 6:03 pm

It's a Kelty KIDS style

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... IBEPICMAU#

The one I have weighs 5 pounds as you see it in the photos. It looks like you can knock off 3 pounds and make it work for a three hour tour :D
Attachments
Kelty KIDS 002.jpg
Kelty KIDS 001.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 08, 2011 6:45 pm

First thoughts from the pics: Move the rear pack portion to a lower lumbar position. Keep the seat frame and add webbing across it?

I'm reviewing stumpjumpers sewing awl video :)

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”