Long term report of Osprey Exos 58...

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
JBRanger

Long term report of Osprey Exos 58...

Postby JBRanger » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:18 pm

So, I've been meaning to write this for a while now. Anyway, here it goes.

I've used this pack many times since I've received it. Car camping, hiking many miles, no climbing, but definitely a lot of elevation change in the southern AT. Even used it on a fishing trip or two.

Pros -

- Large! No concerns about getting all my gear in there. Finding it is another issue all together.
- Light! No kidding. For a bag this large it is quite light. 2lbs, 3 ounces I believe. It is a 58 but I've been told it actually holds in the 60-63L range.

Cons -

- Color - I guess if I had to nitpick I'd like one of the new bags in OD as opposed to orange and grey. However, this is a good tradeoff come deer hunting season! LOL!
- Pack straps - While they are light and breathe well I feel this is the bags largest let down. Once you get weight in there above 22-25lbs this thing just seems to sag. I've adjusted it all over but it just feels.... WEIRD. The suspension works great but the straps leave something to be desired. I think they are TOO thin and "squishy".
- Hipbelt sidelok buckle. Just too dang small. Yes, it's light but this I feel needs to be bigger or a different design.

So all in all, the pack has been great. It is large and can carry everything I have for any season. However, some of the winter time stuff weight climbs a bit to 22-25lb. This is mainly due to me not having cash for down bags and such and making my gear lighter but still.

I wish I could have a second set of straps made up that are heavier duty and be able to attach them to the bag and see if that fixes the issue. The sidelok thing also I could fix myself with a larger buckle.

ConnieD

Re: Long term report of Osprey Exos 58...

Postby ConnieD » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:57 pm

It does sound like a great pack.

Maybe it is possible to carefully use a seam-ripper to remove and replace the shoulder straps?

It sounds good, except for that. I also change clasps, because I have a preference.

These soft high volume packs are not designed for heavyloads. They are designed for high volume "fluffy" gear.

Maybe you are needing more "fluffy" gear?

I know I want to try a "winter sleeping quilt" next season.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Great report, good to have real life info on product performances.

Looks like a good time to sell some stuff off to make way for a down bag :D

Definately need a modification to the support system. Realityguy(master alterator) should have some good sugestions.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Since I am CHEAP :lol: ..I'd find a good pack at a thrift store with a good suspension system and steal that..modify it to fit your pack..however,,expect a large weight increase if you do.I find most strap systems to be overbuilt for lighter loads and weigh more than what they are worth.
Some packs suffer from a lack of "load lifter/adjuster straps" over the shoulder straps..secondary lightweight nylon straps attached over the existing straps that can pull the top of the load closer to your back and shoulders..I've added some secondary " equipment straps"(1" wide nylon sewn every two inches on the front of the straps for hanging carabiners and other crap) with "snuggers" and load lifter attachments to the actual backpack top..gaining "twofold" for a bare minimum weight gain(1-3oz)..is that idea possible?and would it help in your case?..just an idea... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:24 am

I am indeed in need of more "fluffy" gear! My inner geardo NEEDS it!! LOL.

But yes, I will be looking at options. But honestly the pack is really hard to fault. For 90% of my camping it is perfect. That says alot. I've often thought to myself to just accept it and deal with it.

With that said, I have a cheapo 15-20 (rated at 0, but is really 15-20) degree bag that weighs 2.5 lbs. It was really cheap and the performance has been fantastic. Again, one of those.... suck it up and deal with it or shell out BIG bucks for fluffy, lightweight stuff.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Watch the thrift stores for down comfortors this spring/summer. cut to size, make silnylon cover, go cheap DIY. ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:12 pm

zelph wrote:Watch the thrift stores for down comfortors this spring/summer. cut to size, make silnylon cover, go cheap DIY. ;)

I found a nice down quilt a couple years ago at the thrift store, thinking it would make a nice under or top quilt for the hammock but I liked it so much on my bed, it never had a chance. :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:59 pm

I'll check thrift stores and see what I can find.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:50 pm

JBRanger wrote:I'll check thrift stores and see what I can find.

I'll keep my eyes open for them also and buy if the price is right and ship one to you. :D

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I picked up a lightweight high-quality down comforter at a thrift store for $5.

I haven't modified it for a sleeping quilt, yet.

I have worked out the measurements.

It is on the bed at home, right now. If I "found" one more, I would make a nice fluffy" sleeping quilt.

I think "fluffy" sleeping quilts are a lightweight backpacking option, if used with a sleeping pad.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”