My new Pack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
SSDD

My new Pack

Postby SSDD » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:23 pm

So here is a new backpack I just made.

It's a Panel loader
Pack Volume about 3200 CI
Weight 17oz
4 outside pockets
2 inside pockets one for tent pegs the other for many things
Compression straps on inside and outside

zelph

Re: My new Pack

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:46 pm

High quality work there, looks great. Do you have patterns or just wing it?

Great color combination. Looks like you've done a lot of sewing before.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks, No pattern just me thinking of how and what I want it to look like and make it happen. I have done a few tarps and bug bivys but other than that not much other than watching me brothers inlaw years ago as she would make gear for us when we came up with ideas for stuff.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:40 am

That is outstanding! I really like panel loaders.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:37 am

Looks good!I'll have to try one like that.The wife has an order in here for a super lightweight dayhiker.. :roll: ..but on the other hand she wants lots of outside/inside pockets and compartments that seem tojust add the weight..Okay honey..guess I'll have to come up with the best of both worlds or a compromise on what she gets.
The front panel loading may be helpful for a day pack for her,more access to stuff inside and keeping my sandwiches from getting smashed.. :lol:
Top loading packs can be turned inside out for sewing,having all the sewing hidden inside..but if you add a midshelf..what do you do when you can no longer turn it inside out..The panel loader type will probably eliminate that problem.
You did a good job on the shoulder straps and accessory straps also.
Have you tried it on with a good load inside..say the amount you normally carry on a trip?
Couple more questions..What are you using for back padding? did you add some inside..plan on a carry a sleeping pad between the load and you..or using the sleeping bag for padding?..just wondering..
Dod you add a bladder pocket?..I don't add them because I find I don't use bladders but may have to sometime for filtering water with a gravity feed.I more than likely will just add some support to the outside mesh pocket(extra buckle and strap at the top for sinching the mesh up)for packing the bladder there when I need to..away from things I don't want to get wet from bladder leaks.On the other hand..my golites have them but I can stuff a folding sleep pad in there.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:35 pm

The front panel loading may be helpful for a day pack for her,more access to stuff inside and keeping my sandwiches from getting smashed.. :lol:

Switch to "freezer bag" meals ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:20 pm

I have used a panel loader for years and loved it and it broke beyond repair a week before I did a 200 mile trip on the PCT a month or so ago.

Since ULA, MLD, SMD and Gossamergear did not make one like I wanted I made my own so now I will be making a few more a little different to find what two styles I like and start marketing them. They will be made with a Thru-hiker in mind, as I will be Thru-hiking the PCT in 2012 with one.

I did not make a water bladder pocket on this one but I will on the new ones as well as a few more new ideas I have, I used 1/4" foam for the back panel and I have loaded it with 20lbs and it is fine my normal 3 season 2-3 day pack weight is 14-16lbs.

Thanks ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Switch to "freezer bag" meals

On day hikes ..the wife likes making sandwiches and packs/carries a bunch of food(why should I argue! :lol: ) and we usually eat those and have time for coffee..that's about it.Occasionally we do make up some noodles or something along with the coffee and have fired up some muffins,cookies, or something if berries are on the trail..for day hikes.Overnights we do make noodles,rica and beans,or something.This year really sucked for berries..non-existent..so a couple sandwiches,trail mix,pepperoni,beef jerky,chocolate,and dried fruit were fine along with coffee. :mrgreen:

Selling packs..You'll probably end up making about $1 an hour..be extra careful with that idea!..unless you are using imported labor.Did you keep any records of how long it took to make one?Cost of materials? :o I find it isn't worth my time to make/sell gear..I'd rather be out hiking or thrift shopping for materials... :roll: I picked up probably 100-120+' of nylon black strapping in rolls today in 3/4,1",and 1-1/2" for about $10.(One of my lady shopping "friends" found it for me while I was at the register checking out all my other goodies,pretty full cart) :DB:

Back pads..I tore apart a North Face 'suitcase' type backpack(6-7lbs!) and it appears they used some 3/8" thick "memory foam"..about 3-4 pieces per side.I used their cut outside material and used 1 layer in mine to cut down the weight.I usually add a sleeping pad for support inside anyway.

One more thing..any packs I make from now on..are going to have a "pattern" cut first.That way I don't need to rethink the entire thing or measure off ones I've made previously.I goofed on the day pack pattern and made it for the wife's torso measurement instead of mine which is quite a bit larger.From now on,I'll make a larger size that will have center fold sections that can be matched for shorter sizes..say for her I need to fold point A to A and accordion a couple inches out of the middle for overall length between the shoulder strap and waist belt points.One pattern of pieces for all sizes with the pattern at the longest I'll make and be able to be shortened. ;)
I also noticed the go-lites don't use waist stabilizers,additional straps to points on the backpack over a waist belt to stop the pack from swaying left and right.Their system seems to be triangles with front pockets on the waist belt which seems to eliminate that problem,reduce weight,and gain a little more storage..however..I don't seem to use those pockets except for maybe a small MP3 player sometimes(longer solo hikes).I pack at most about 25 lbs with about 4-8lbs of that being water..which is getting eliminated with a lightweight gravity filter setup..for 95% of the journey.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Yeah I'm not going to market my stuff the same as other people/companys as I already have my LLC but it's not a retail business, I started making gear to help off set the start up cost and I will stick with that, I am just waiting to see what the new tax rate will be before I push forward with it.

I made a pattern as I was going but I did not start with one ;) Bulk rolls are not cheap thats for sure but bulk is the only way to keep it cost effective and it will only be a part time Gig and thats just what I want after getting out of doing General Contracting 5 years ago I don't want those hours again :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:04 am

I was a licensed general contractor in remodeling until my annual license and bonding went from about $800 a year to $5000 per year as a sole proprietorship....dumped it in 2000... :roll: ..state "wild hair" with some insurance company lobbying put about 80-90% of us out of business...prices for work went through the roof for customers by the ones still in business..The insurance companies made out like bandits...which they were... :evil:

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”