Homemade backpack 1-3/4lb/2600ci

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
realityguy

Re: Homemade backpack 1-3/4lb/2600ci

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:56 am

Fittings are found at lowes..usually people use a plastic or brass(plastic is lighter) threaded piece that adapt to the filter hose ,add a couple backing washers on the inside and out.add a hole to the bottom of the "parachute"(upside down one),put silicone sealer around the hole and fit the pieces to the hole so you can add the hose and filter there.Usually they add a shut-off valve.
I thought about making that arrangement but I really don't see a way of packing unfiltered water back to camp if you need more than the amount you can carry in your empty bottle you bring along.I bought two of the hydration bladders that I can fit in the mesh pockets or strap to the back(will be adding nylon "hanging" loops to the top cap support loops and a couple center clips above the back mesh pockets)..without their holders.That way I can filter one at the stream,fill my bottle,and refill the other "dirty" one in case I need to filter more back at camp.
I'm going to start another backpack for the wife probably today or tomorrow.She's pretty jealous of my 1lb day pack so I'm going to try and make a couple day packs for us that will top out packing at about 10-12lbs(more than enough weight) but still be under 10 oz or so.I might be using the shoulder and sternum straps from the 2 bladder pouches(or several others I have here)that I don't use..light waist belts(maybe) and making my own main pack "bags" with outside mesh and zippered pockets in a smaller,more compact configuration..say maybe 5x10x20 size(1000ci).They should be sufficient in size to hold raingear,a tarp,and all other essentials for the "day" and an emergency overnight.plus strap on spots for excess water..or whatever is needed...with a large bearcan spray pouch of course...I've been checking those out at REI's website..figure about $60 for peace of mind.I hear they also work on gaots and A******s you run into...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:27 am

She's pretty jealous of my 1lb day pack so I'm going to try and make a couple day packs for us that will top out packing at about 10-12lbs

Well what did you expect????? your fault :mrgreen:

with a large bearcan spray pouch of course...I've been checking those out at REI's website..figure about $60 for peace of mind.I hear they also work on gaots and A******s you run into...

It was a rouge goat and is no longer a threat........right? You should consider getting a small 22 caliber something or other and use 22 shorts or maybe a tear gas pen, you can find them on ebay (vintage) The shells can be modified ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:18 pm

zelph wrote:It was a rouge goat and is no longer a threat........right? You should consider getting a small 22 caliber something or other and use 22 shorts or maybe a tear gas pen, you can find them on ebay (vintage) The shells can be modified ;)

I'd rather have an MP-5 or P-90 myself. Maybe a 500S&W. Something with some real impact. :roll:
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:46 pm

My bear/goat/insane human stopper is legal in all 50 states;will stop anything that it hits; is cheap; can be reloaded for a fraction of a penny; does not need special training to use; can be fired repeatedly; and has another useful health feature for camping/hiking/survival.

Maybe I should put it in the mystery tool section????
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:14 pm

sudden wrote:My bear/goat/insane human stopper is legal in all 50 states;will stop anything that it hits; is cheap; can be reloaded for a fraction of a penny; does not need special training to use; can be fired repeatedly; and has another useful health feature for camping/hiking/survival.

maybe you should!!!!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
sudden wrote:My bear/goat/insane human stopper is legal in all 50 states;will stop anything that it hits; is cheap; can be reloaded for a fraction of a penny; does not need special training to use; can be fired repeatedly; and has another useful health feature for camping/hiking/survival.

maybe you should!!!!

Post it sudden or we won't sleep well :lol:

Sounds like a flare gun with an attitude :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:07 pm

zelph wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:

maybe you should!!!!

Post it sudden or we won't sleep well :lol:

Sounds like a flare gun with an attitude :mrgreen:

:twisted: Empty and refill with full strength (use a smaller spray bottle if you are ultralight). More like a skunk with a blinding/choking attitude. No animal will continue an attack under those circumstances. No mercy for an animal that decides to attack you but humans will survive "relatively" unscathed if you rinse and repeat a few times (provided they don't close their eyes for too long).

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Now if you can get the animal to stop in the middle of the charge long enough to spray the b*st*rd...What's your range..about 2'? ;)Is the baby rattle to stop the charge?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:19 pm

That would do the trick IF you get a good shot in and the trigger pump works on command. With my luck, it would leak all over my pack or clothes and would eat away the fabric in a day or two. :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:12 pm

realityguy wrote:Now if you can get the animal to stop in the middle of the charge long enough to spray the b*st*rd...What's your range..about 2'? ;)Is the baby rattle to stop the charge?

lol,

Range ~15ft but I recommend you start firing early if threatened. The irritation might make them reconsider.

Baby rattle? I don't know. But I imagine bears & coyote's will develop a natural fear of baby rattle sounds over time :lol:

I shoot enough to know that range won't matter much once a predator decides your going down. Once you are in "their" range, the explosive attack will occur, or not.

Unless you have decided to kill any animal you see, a high powered rifle or pistol won't improve your odds (may even hurt them if your attack isn't immediately fatal). I'm all for anything that wants to kill me to get as close as possible first. It improves my odds of a hit. Hopefully they run off, if not, I can probably just walk away. Animals that can't see or smell me should be easy to avoid.

Of course I'm counting on all of you to call the authorities if you hear of my untimely demise. Tell them to euthanize the bear with the white stripe in it's coat.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”