Homemade backpack 1-3/4lb/2600ci

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
realityguy

Homemade backpack 1-3/4lb/2600ci

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:21 pm

Okay..Yeah i got sidetracked and started/pretty much finished a new project--->
As pictured..with just a rolled pad inside..actually I loaded it with a lot of stuff..comfortable for my torso and the material fills out fine without wrinkles.
I used some parts from other backpacks and day packs,some Goodwill material(blue PU nylon),a piece of a eureka timberlite vestibule(gray),a laundry bag(mesh),another homemade laundry bag of black PU(black bottom),a day pack's shoulder straps,a sternum strap form an Outdoor Products hydration bag(made something else with the bladder),the shoulder pads,belts,buckles,couple zippered pockets from a heavy North Face "suitcase" style heavy backpack..and other "junk" laying around(load lifter buckles,more strapping,etc).
Total weight including the camera bag is 1lb 13oz(when finished..under 2lbs for sure) with a capacity(inside) of about 2600ci(8+x12+x26"),not including the outer mesh pockets,a 5" top sleeve(500ci) and 3 pockets on top(2 zippered small ones and a velcroed map pocket).This does have a floating lid,compressions straps,2 side mesh pockets and a large back mesh pocket.I did sew the camera bag in place to stop it from wandering.
Yet to do..I'm going to add a reachable(from the front)8oz waterbottle pocket(left side opposite the camera bag),an extension for the back of the lid (to cover the load lifter area)and some cross straps and backing to hold a bear can on the back above the mesh pocket.
This is somewhat modeled after my golites but with a larger diameter,more ties to the lid to keep it from wandering like the golites,and no neoprene pocket...which I didn't really use except for the bear can.
Sewing..was over the last 4-5 days, a period of a few hours each evening...Victoria TV sucks other than a movie between 8pm and 10pm each night.. :lol:
Total cost..hard to say..laundry bags @$1 each,North Face pack was $5,day packs $1-5..blue material was $3,tent vestibule was $4(I only wanted the aluminum poles,zipper, and stakes).etc..etc...probably about $20-25...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Re: Homemade backpack 1-3/4lb/2600ci

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:46 am

Nicely done,Cuz! A real piecemill job. You have made some really nice gear projects. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:20 am

Do you need some more stitches?I'm getting pretty good at them! :mrgreen:
I plan on making some more packs for us,some "day pack" ones that will weigh about a lb or less.I was surprised with everything I added how little it weighed in the end.I was expecting about another pound.
They do take time to sew..a lot of foresight and backing material inside the packs at all the stress points.
I should probably get some seam tape and cover a lot of the stitching lines inside(like the pros do) and one at the collar/pack point needs a couple feet worth;just some doubled-up nylon rough ends showing,easy sewing there.
I needed a slightly bigger diameter pack in case I need to pack a bear can inside a foam pad inside the pack.My golites are too tight to do that and impossible to pack a factory can other than strapping it somehow on the outside without much of anything to strap to on the pack or the can itself.I also made a couple "bearcan bags" that have straps around their perimeters to solve the "lashing" problems.Put the cans in the cinchable bags,then strap them on the back or bottom with the exterior straps that go through loops sewn to the outside of the bags.
I also added a couple "lash diamonds" to the bottom of the pack..something else the golites don't have.
A lot of forethought needs to go into sewing one when you are assembling the bag.A person needs to sew strapping in at the panel joints to become integral stress points for later addition of compression straps,gear lashing straps,or whatever needs to hang on the outside the pack..for maximum strength.
I took the golite as a base pattern and basic measurements..added what I needed and desired,and eliminated what I didn't need such as add more room,eliminate the helmet carrier,and add lashings where there weren't any on the original pack.The shoulder straps I used originally didn't have load lifters on the previous pack..but they were added to this one and the attachment points/as per the golite ones.
The golites don't have the side stabilzer points but do have triangular attachments for the bottoms of the shoulder straps..I used that system because it seems pretty stable without adding more stress at the side seams.I also eliminated the waist belt pockets..never seem to use them before,,but found a serious need for a closer waterbottle because one cannot reach the side mesh pockets while carrying the pack,especially the golites..which has always aggravated me.I've hung them on the shoulder straps,which seem to bounce around without bottom end lashings and a pain to pull out if you have the lashings.I drink little on the trail but need something occasionally without taking off the pack..hence a small left front (angled maybe with the triangle)pocket for one.
One other project..I went to wallyworld at Port Angeles and found the Sawyer Filter bottles that have a sealed filter inside with adaptable protrusions on the ends for hoses.At the same store they had closeouts for Outdoor Products bladders w/hydration pack carriers(64oz)..at $5 each!I grabbed a couple of those,cut one of the outlet to mouthpiece hoses in half and placed the filter inline by just pushing the ends of the filter in the ends.I know have a lightweight gravity filter with a capacity of 64 oz using a "DIRTY WATER" bladder into a clean one or bottles.I'll add a strap and small carabiner to hang it from
and start packing empty bottles and gain 5-6 pounds of water weight I gave up packing water in.
Weight of the bladder /filter is about 10oz but can be reduced by making your own silnylon "diptank" and adapting the hose to it..just a large circular bag with the thread hose end adapted to the bottom of the bag with silicone and fittings(filter,sealed bite valve for plug, and hose weigh 7.5oz).As it is,the bladder adaption takes 2 minutes and needs only a pocketknife,sawyer filter bottle,and hydration bottle.The OD one's hose unthreads at both ends for cleaning,pulls off the filter.
I left the bite valve sealed just as a plug/valve for the hose.I don't use it other than unscrewing the assembly and left the plastic coating on.I generally don't drink from bladders...I can adapt the filter back into the bottle at any time.The sawyer bottle was $40..
Filtering at home seems to be 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per 32 oz.If I need more than 64oz at a campsite,I can filer 64 oz into bottles,then refill the bladder with "dirty water" and carry it back to camp in the outer back mesh pocket(I'm also adding a center clip for holding the mesh tighter to the back wall of the pack).
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Nice work on the pack. Where did you learn to sew like that?

When I went to Yellowstone and looked into bear spray the recommendation I got was to keep it up front for quick access. Why aren't you making a holder for it in front of the pack? Just curious.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:14 pm

I might have to add one(or two,or three)to the pack with a recent incident I became an eyewitness and part of in Olympic National Park while hiking on Saturday.With respect to the family,I really don't care to discuss the incident though...It didn't have a happy ending...

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:20 pm

RG, great job on the pack, the purifier and especially the shelter. You have been busy. I am envious of your sewing skills.
On the pack, regarding the load lifter, do they terminate right at the seam at the top of the pack? I want to add some to my frameless pack. Still trying to figure out where to attach the straps. I saw one fellows pack where he went all the way over the top of the pack
to attach them.
thanks

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:27 pm

realityguy wrote:I might have to add one(or two,or three)to the pack with a recent incident I became an eyewitness and part of in Olympic National Park while hiking on Saturday.With respect to the family,I really don't care to discuss the incident though...It didn't have a happy ending...

Think I read about it. Sad outcome.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:00 pm

My sympathy REALLY goes out to the wife/friend in the incident who I didn't know until this event. :cry: I'm still in shock over witnessing and being involved in what went on.It took 3 of us(one an off-duty ranger and a 4th came in to help shortly later) waving space blankets,throwing rocks,and yelling to get the animal to move away from the injured hiker..but way too late.
This event more than likely will curtail a lot of my alone future hiking in the park.I was going for the hike earlier in the morning but it looks like I was lucky that I slept in..worked on the backpack until about 1am that night before.I could have been me if I had left the house earlier that day. :shock:
I did fax my eye-witness account to the ONP this morning..the rangers had the nerve to ask people to fill them out at the trailhead after we got down off the hill. :evil: I started but told them I just couldn't continue and would send it in instead.

That's all I'm saying...

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:04 am

I'm so sorry you had to be involved in the episode, Cuz. I googled the press release. I had never heard of wild goats being aggressive but does not surprise me as the domestic one sure can be aggressive. My prayers go out to the family involved. Very sad thing to happen while out just trying to enjoy nature. I'm guessing he would have been better off staying with his two hiking partners to give the impression of a more formible presence. So sad!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:48 am

by making your own silnylon "diptank" and adapting the hose to it..just a large circular bag with the thread hose end adapted to the bottom of the bag with silicone and fittings

What "fittings" are used with the silicone to attach the hose.

Add the bear spray pouch on the front today ;) Make it big enough for the large size container!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”