Pacific Crest convertible fanny pack 16oz mod!

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
realityguy

Pacific Crest convertible fanny pack 16oz mod!

Postby realityguy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:12 pm

I found this about a year ago and like wearing the thing for day hikes.It weighs nothing and is comfortable.It is a fanny pack..but..the top unzips for a full set of straps with waist belt and a larger 2nd upper compartment..weight originally was about 12oz or so.It lacked any way to tie anything on the upper exterior when in backpack mode..something that always bothered me..fixed that problem this afternoon in a couple hours--->

Anyway..added a continuous nylon equipment strap sewn every two inches over the top and down to the "fanny pack top points" so you can tie on the sides and top.It has a couple tie-points on the bottom for original equipment so that was taken care of already.
I also added two strips on the back about 6" apart for tying items down the center of the back.All the back straps can be used for compression also..
I've also added a couple equipment straps on the front straps for hanging water bottles,knives,flashlight or anything from a carabiner.
New weight is about 16oz which does include 7 straps w/plastic buckles that can go anywhere on the pack,depending on the need at hand.Keep in mind that this is a two compartment pack with the lower fanny compartment padded on the back and great for harder items like stove.The top portion of the fanny pack converts as a "fillable back zippered pocket pad" at your lower back..so you can pad that small portion for support.There are two exterior mesh bottle pockets that I'm going to add a couple safety elastic straps with cord locks that will go to the equipment straps behind near the top of the bottles.
The brand name on the fanny pack says "Pacific Crest Authentic Outdoor Goods".This was a thrift store buy for $2!If anybody runs into one of these in a retail store..please LET ME KNOW!I want to buy and modify a couple more,one for the wife and another beach hiker...
Overall the pack is approximately 9"diameter by 22" and holds quite a lot!
Fully packed with everything but a little clothes,my food and water(two empty bottles included..one is a katadyn filter)..and carrying a 3lb bag,3lbs of hammock and tarp,and a 1lb bear can..weighs 12lbs ready to head out the door!..All other gear is included(FAK,knife,full kitchen,flashlight,compass,etc.etc.If I drop to my 2lb tent,and 2-1/2 lb bag..I'll fly down the trails!

One more thing..the "fanny pack" picture..was taken after the mods.all the straps,new equipment straps still fit in the upper pocket,leaving the lower one the way it is for standard day hikes.The waist belt does have a couple pockets for keys,mp3 player,etc.Those two pockets were original equipment.
If I get more ambitious..I'll probably add a lid over the top with a couple more pockets(or not probably :roll: ).The top area is coated material already but I do need to seamseal my new stitches for waterproofing.
And..this is the original pack without the added straps..plane jane version as it comes..just found the old picture--->
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Pacific Crest convertible fanny pack 16oz mod!

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 pm

You did good!!! :D .......BUT...................
If I get more ambitious..I'll probably add a lid over the top with a couple more pockets

Too many pockets ruins the modification.................golite :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Yeah..it might add another whole two oz. also... :roll: ..The Golites don't have a bottom compartment..all pretty much one from the top.I like the bottom area of this one for solid stuff.As shown,it had the hammock and goretex tarp in the bottom,first aid kit and some other items.The top was mostly a larger sleeping bag that is going to get replaced to a smaller one and clothes,beach shoes,food,etc...
I've been thinking about sewing up a pack about 1lb but figured this was a heck of a lot easier.This picture shows the additions better--->

I need to hunt up a couple more of the elastic cord ties that are around the bottom of the bottle on the front strap(left one) and add them to probably the bottom or second side "slot" area..to control the movements of the top of bottles in the mesh pockets below them.I know where the cord locks are..just need to find the elastic..probably up at the other house because I left a lot of sewing stuff there.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 pm

2 more pockets will hold 2 more pounds each = 4 pounds total of things that you didn't carry before :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 am

I like the couple small pockets on the lids of my golites for the fak,maps,lighter,knife,trail mix,beef jerky,spray bug juice(pen size container),hand sanitizer,tp,etc..small stuff that is easy and essential to get to while on the trail and you don't have to disassemble a load to get to it and it doesn't get lost that way.I can also throw a trash bag in that pocket in case of rain..pull it out and cover the pack in less than a minute!I don't need a "couple pounds"..but a maximum of one pound or so would be worth the convenience...and cover the top zipper area also...One pocket on top of the lid,and one smaller on the front cover edge(about 3" high edges)...or incorporate them all into one pocket to save the weight of a second zipper..I've put some thought into it and the sewing machine is still set up.. :roll: hmm...

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:37 am

thought into it and the sewing machine is still set up.. :roll: hmm...

Go for it!!!! :)

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”