Interesting idea, balanced pack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
zelph

Re: Interesting idea, balanced pack

Postby zelph » Wed May 12, 2010 6:07 pm

sudden wrote:Hadn't even thought about having them load it up. Thanks for the good advice.

REI has a store in Bozeman, MT and in Madison, WI. Depending on our route we should be able to hit one of them on the way out or back.

I'm heading up to Madison in a few days, suppose I should take my check book :roll: Have them balance me out a load of goodies :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 13, 2010 10:56 am

I sometimes do use a pocketed vest for wearing under the pack because the Golites I have are awful as far as reaching anything while wearing the pack.I do carry a waterbottle up front suspended from a carabinier on the left shoulder strap that I can pop the top and tilt for drinking without even unhooking the thing.The waistbelt pockets on those packs can barely hold a small mp3 player or car keys..
As Connie says..the front pack would block your view of roots and rocks in the trail..and also sasquatch-sized steps that are a big problem on trails around this neck of the woods making the front pack more of a hinderance then a benefit.I might toy with the idea and make a smaller pack that attaches to the shoulder straps to replace the sternum strap with a couple stretch straps and clips.I think I do have a small flyfishing chest pack to try on and copy.. lighter and with better pocket layout for hiking.This could allow more space for things I need to have access to while on the trail..but not big enough to block the visual below of foot placement.Years of use of zippers and 12 pack abs have solved the problem of finding those important items. :lol: ..Sometimes I have worn a small fanny pack reversed in front for carrying camera gear and a water bottle but the water bottles never travel well that way and even can bounce out,why I mounted the water bottle on the shoulder strap instead.My golites do have a water reservoir pocket next to the back inside the pack but I hate drinking 98.6 degree water that usually tastes like a plastic platypus and fear leaks on everything else in there.Besides..I usually pack a CCF pad around the inside of my pack for pack support or can use that pocket for a new zrest one I found..gotta try that option yet.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Another pack option I have been considering is MAKING MY OWN with lightweight materials,no stays,and a standard support/strap/waist belt/sternum strap system(that might get stolen from another pack).
Because I carry/use a CCF foam pad or a z-rest type folding one,I want to incorporate a pocket between my back and the actual pack bag itself to make the pad dual purpose by becoming pack/back padding and for bed use also.As it is,my Golites have a bladder pocket inside right against the back area that I don't trust for leakage but can't really use for pads because the pocket is too small.It would be nice to get that pad outside the pack to maintain full space inside for other items.The side pockets are also too small.The rear helmet area does work for the pad but I also need to carry the bear can there which maxxes out the helmet straps and neoprene on the existing pack stretching around that can.This also makes the mesh pocket behind the helmet area pretty much useless and unaccessible.
Unfortunately the golites have no lower or upper strap attachments for slinging gear above or below the pack..something I plan on adding to the packs..or at least some nylon attachment loops on the bottom of the pack.I have placed CCF pads across the top under the floating lids which does work okay,but then the pack is without a back pad other than what floats inside the pack and it's more awkward getting things in and out of the pack while wearing the pack.
The golites have worthless waist belt pockets and it would be nice to have something big enough for a small digital camera for easy access.Also..placing waterbottles in the outside mesh side pockets makes them out of reach unless you are a contortionist or remove the pack!One pack of the two only has short lower mesh side pockets and leaves a lot of open space above those on the sides.Adding a couple upper mesh pocketsor adding lashing straps sewn on above them would increase outside storage..but that would eliminate using those pockets for small items with easy access and make them more for strapping on pads,tents,tarps,and other taller items within the small pockets and the space above.
Overall..I like the 3000cuin capacities of the golites and the main systems of them,just see a lot of improvements that could be adding using their basic design..for my needs.
For my needs...I need better larger waist pockets...for trail mix and a camera.
I need a front CCF pad pocket behind my lower back..ahead of the main pack bag,for the main support of the pack.
I need better side pockets for longer items..maybe a couple 10-12" long ones with 5" diameter lashing straps above and below a couple 6"deep mesh/ elastic" ones near the top.
The front "helmet" area is handy but once the pack is full..is hard to access or put anything in there other than a wet jacket and pants.I think two vertical mesh pockets with the space in between them for lashing items on the center of that back area(when needed) might be a better idea.
Front pockets or packs: a smaller sternum strap pack setup that would hold a waterbottle over one shoulder strap and a pocket for binoculars,sunglasses, sunscreen,bugjuice,and other small items without blocking the hikers view of their feet and where they step would be a nice removable addition to a pack..that could also quickly be removed and placed inside a tent.As long as the pockets are over the shoulder straps and not blocking the safety view window it would help balance the pack system.
As it is,I carry a water bottle strapped high to one shoulder strap(push button cap..tilt and drink) and the other side has a neoprene sack that carries an MP3 player and asmaller Nikon digital camera..with extra batteries(AA and AAA).I also carry a carabiner knife and flashlight on those straps.Other small items can be added to the carabiners for quick access..Access to anything else requires the removal of the pack..I would like a thin binocular pocket(Trinovids or travel-lites) between the two and will probably design/sew something to serve my needs.
Anyway..These are just some thoughts on pack improvements other might consider..Your needs may differ from mine..I'm cheap..I won't be buying any new packs,have 5-6 already but only seem to use the two Golite(race and Speed) ones.Mods will be put into effect..or I'll start from scratch and build my own..i have the materials needed... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Well, it sounds like we have our own "Ray Jardine" here with all the DIY gear that is thought out and designed for your needs. I like your ideas and have all the faith that you will make this happen at some point in time. Think lightweight materials and multifunctioning features. Is there a way to design the pocket on the outside of the pack for your foam mattress to allow for cooling air flow?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 30, 2010 8:01 pm

It has been awhile, but Metolius told me in a support email they would separately sell their pack straps for their Rope Ranger rope bag. If I had a custom pack, I would have their pack straps.

I would also have an elastic netting material, you see, on the pack for shoving in wet tarp, wet tent, or wet socks and washables for hiking. on a long hike, I want that feature.

The Osprey Exos 46 pack has big nylon netting material pockets on their waiststrap, that ave very useful.

I like a pack lid compartment, but the roll top packs make more practical sense it seems to me.

The hidden zippered side pockets in my REI Lookout rucksack are nice. I keep spare dry socks in there.

I also like lashing loops for bulkier stuff, but I want a short Shove-It so nothing lashed on falls out.

If I want weight in front, I will put it on the shoulder straps, like the Dana pack shoulder side bags as long as they do not interfere with the natural movement of my arms while walking. Of course, a pack must have proper fit so the pack does not throw you off balance, walking, standing, getting up or down, or kneeling to tie a shoe.

I think a sternum strap in high chest position is essential. I believe the weight of the pack should be transferred to the front of the chest and through the crest of the hips through to your legs, which are the largest and strongest muscles we have.

Load lifters are a help, if a pack has a tendency to pull away from your pack.

I really like all the Air-Zone type packs. I wish one, of any brand, fit me.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Is there a way to design the pocket on the outside of the pack for your foam mattress to allow for cooling air flow?

I imagine the back wall of the pack that fits against one's back could easily be "channeled" with rows of foam for a little padding and air channels between the padding rows..without too much added weight.
Jardine would have it slung over one shoulder and it would only weigh about 7lbs... ;)

I was thinking also of an idea like a triangular arrangement of pack storage "tubes" might be interesting..like three separate stuff sacks,two against the back,and one behind them.Between the tubes,one could have lashing straps or exterior mesh pockets or both..with a triangular lid that would cover all three tubes and the tops of the vertical lashing areas.
I like the idea of individual tubes for gear..tents/ tarps(6" diameter) in one,food,filter and cookware in a second (6" diameter one,)and the main back one could carry the bag,clothes(10-12"diameter),bear can..and other soft dry items.The mesh pockets between tubes could carry dirty or wet clothes on top..the other side could for more food,camp shoes, and water, the padpocket behind-the-back between the other 2-6" tubes in a fourth flat pocket within the larger main one...more smaller outside mesh pockets for waterbottles,trail mix..that are reachable from the front,etc.
Once you reach your destination..You can throw back the triangular cover(which has a couple pockets on top for First aid,toiletries,maps,etc.so you don't need to open the rest of the pack) and have direct access to each tube... without having to unpack and repack everything to get the item that is always at the bottom...and that is always needed first(Grr....).

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”