New Walmart Backpack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
irrationalsolutions

Re: New Walmart Backpack

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 pm

the inside of the top of my old one feels kinda like rubber type stuff but the rest it fine. im going to look around at the ones here again this week and ill let you know more then about the ones we have here.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 am

Test fitted the pack on my wife today (5'3") Inside is a blanket just big enough to cover both of us, self-inflating pillow, half of the food we will be taking, clothes, toiletries / medical supplies, (she's a Type 1 diabetic) flashlights, other miscellaneous items, and you can see the el cheapo sleeping mat and water bottles on the outside. I figure I'll be able to carry the rest in mine. I may be headed to an Academy Wednesday, and I need some sort of shelter that I will be able to stuff into this thing. Thinking about this one:
http://www.bicsuperstore.com/Academy-Br ... 9X3ZWW.htm
Then removing the poles and using our trekking poles for supports. Looking for comments, ideas, and feedback. =)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:00 am

The pack fits her well, good choice.

The first review on the shelter says:

It is what it isJul 15, 2010
For a tent that cost less then $25, its an outstanding product. But keep in mind, sometimes you get what you pay for. If you spend $25 on a tent, expect a low quality product.

If you can afford a more expensive tent - then go ahead and spend the money.

If this is all you can afford - do not expect a high quality product.

My Starlight tent was bought around 1994, 1995 or 1996; I do not remember the exact year. Since then it has gone on lots of hiking and camping trips.

Some of the things I like this tent - its light, its compact, its easy to setup, its easy to take down, it fits into an ALICE pack nicely, and the floor does not feel weak.

Some of the things I do not like - the rear tent pole will sometimes fall down, so the tent can collapse in the middle of the night, its not free standing, it does not provide a lot of rain protection, it can get hot in the summer time. I would carry 2 spare rain ponchos and put them over the tent at night, just in case it rained.

But hey, what do you "really" expect out of a $25 tent? It is what it is.

No matter which tent you purchase, seal the seams with "Kenyon" Seam Sealer 3.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:39 am

If you get that tent..take a couple trashbags to cover your packs outside or..better yet.. setup some kind of vestibule for your packs off the front of the tent...and use an emergency blanket under them.One of the blankets could cover the front as a vestibule also.I think you'll find the tent is barely big enough for you and the wife(by the dimensions given)..gear won't fit inside also..unless you stack bodies.. :lol:
Using the E blanket as a vestibule..wrap a rock in the corner and tie the rope around the rock holding it in the material,rather than punching holes in the material which will tear it.Lots of places show that on the web..then stake it out on the one side and out from the front at the diagonal to your front trek pole...then just clip the other side shut with a couple clothespins/ties or something so it opens from the side at the front edge of the tent..more vestibule room for your packs and boots to one side and easy access without stumbling over packs...and you can open one side up(or both sides) for more air,views,cooking,etc..when wanted.
I've seen pictures of those tents and that seems to be one thing it lacks,covered storage room for gear...I use trek poles with all my tents..saves a lot of weight that way.

One problem you'll find is that most emergency blankets are probably 36 or 42" x 84" ..meaning..you need a square to make the vestible work right using the diagonal.Another option is to stake up the excess on one side for a covered area like this:

I know..this is probably stuff you've dealt with already and know all this..just trying to cover everything in case you didn't..It's nice to have your gear/boots inthe tent with you but not have to sleep on top of it.The vestibules are great for keeping out wind,rain,dust,and critters...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Well i guess the old guy here got tell you how to put up tent no poles. put back tent 2 feet or so from a little tree 1 in. or so round bend it down towards the front tie front top tent to tree and the back as tree try to get back straight it hold it . Oh put tent pegs in first :lol: :lol: or you have a tent tree house :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Oh put tent pegs in first :lol: :lol: or you have a tent tree house :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my, pick me up off the floor................................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use a 55 gal. garbage bag to put you gear in. They also make great ponchos....cut a slot for head and arms and you're set to go. They make good emergency shelters also, think tube tent. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Some years ago, when pup tents were still in style, I was camping with my dad in one near Yellowstone on a wet windy night. The rear pole fell and one of us had to go out and reset it. After this was about to happen for the third time we finally figured out that the tent wall was kicking it out from the wind. He reached through the tent wall, grabbed the pole and pushed it a couple of inches down in the mud. Tent stayed up the rest of the night :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:45 pm

The pack looks good on your wife. She looks ready to head to the woods! ;) I just recently purchased Bass Pro Shops version of that tent and keep it in the trunk as part of my "just in case" gear. Like Rg said, it is on the small side with the foot end narrowing from the door end. Two people should be very chumy so you are in luck! ;) The BPS version has a vent on the bottom side for extra ventilation. I picked it up on special for $20. I figure if I go fishing and want to spend the night, I have a shelter for a cheap price. For backpacking, I am sold on the hammock system. Of course, if my wife backpacked, I would use a tent more often. ;)
You would probably be happier with a tent similar to this one.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/famous-maker-hiker-2-dome-tent.aspx?a=550961&pn=1
You can see my BassPro version on the far right side of this pic.
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/Ridgerunner56/?action=view&current=DSCF2184.jpg
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:06 pm

realityguy wrote:I know..this is probably stuff you've dealt with already and know all this..just trying to cover everything in case you didn't..It's nice to have your gear/boots inthe tent with you but not have to sleep on top of it.The vestibules are great for keeping out wind,rain,dust,and critters...

Not even a little bit. XD I have never even attempted to put up a tent using trekking poles. We have been using this for truck camping:
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... 40621-9852
But it would be a bit large for my pack. =/ And it's heavy....really heavy.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:48 pm

You would probably be happier with a tent similar to this one.

6lbs ,Cuz? :o ..might as well pack the Taj Mahal! :lol:

I guess if his wife will do it...That would work!
Ebay has a lot of intermediate grade tents for a decent price..of course then you get nailed for shipping.If you buy an inexpensive tent,check out the sewing,the lines,poles(no need with treks) and the coatings..and fortify them if needed before you get in the field and find they are inadequate for the job.Most of the problems with cheaper tents is the labor involved making the things or having to cheapen what comes with them.If theymiss a spot sewing,they put the blinders on and keep sewing.A few hand stitches can secure that...The materials can't change a whole lot or people wouldn't buy them in the first place.
I'm always leery of the woven fiber floors that look like blue or brown tarp material..however..a piece of plastic visqueen or tarp footprint will make it last a lot longer and make it more waterproof there for a slight light weight and add cheap security..It might make all the difference in a good trip and a bad one!..if you get wet.It looks like you are covering your butt taking along a couple emergency blankets for security.The wife and I pack at least one for placing the packs and boots on in the dirt floor vestibule,then rolling the other half over the top of them.We've been in at least one monsoon where the gear came out bone dry..but we didn't.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”