New Walmart Backpack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
Mister Krabs

New Walmart Backpack

Postby Mister Krabs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:51 am

I can't stop into walmart without going down their camping aisles. Last year I noticed that they started stocking the outdoor products alpine ridge pack that Tinny had a video on. That pack didn't appeal to me, funky colors, not many features, pretty short torso wise and seemed cheaply made. They also had the OP Adrenaline, but I wasn't hip on that either, it looked like a glorified daypack.

This year they added two more internal frame packs. One is the coleman max. It's big and cheap, I didn't really check it out. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=11030644

The other caught my eye, the Outdoor Products skyline 8.0 it looked like a "real backpack" and was 30$. I dig the darth vader color scheme, but it also comes in blue and grey. I snatched it up for a summer overnight pack. I like it so far and it fits all my stuff.

I can't find any useful info on the net, so here's some basic info on it.
Outdoor Products Skyline8.0 day and a half Internal Frame Pack

Weight 28oz
Capacity 38L 2320cu. in.
22”H x 12”W x 9”D
Price 30$

removable aluminum stay
Hydration Bladder pocket, Port and clip.
zippered top access main compartment
Vertical main compartment zipper access
vertical Front pocket
Waistbelt pockets
side compression straps
side water bottle pockets
load lifters
sternum strap

Initial Impressions
The skyline has more features than expected for the price. Mesh over generous padding, hipbelt pockets on a padded split waitbelt, load lifters and a decent expandable vertical front pocket are nice touches that I associate with more expensive packs. Materials seem to be adequate,if a little heavy with unnecessary things like piped seams and thick coatings on the ripstop pack cloth. Stiching looks OK, but seems like it could be doubled in stress areas. The bottom 2 of the four compression straps cross over the side pockets, a pet peave of mine. but high enough that the pockets are still usable for 1 liter bottles.

Features
Starting at the top, the Skyline has a zippered opening to the main compartment with a bungee strap to carry a jacket or tarp or something on top. The opening is fairly small but adequate with no collar. The zipper is fairly small too, maybe a #5 zipper. Inside the main compartment is the opening for the removable (and bendable) aluminum stay and the hydration pocket. There is a velcro hook for hanging a bladder and a clip for the tube. The back padding is comfortable, articulated and allows for ventilation. The torso length is just barely long enough for my 21" torso. I am able to fit a DWR coated 10x10 tarp in the front pocket. The hipbelt pockets fit my fat wallet and blackberry at the same time in one pocket. Probably enough room for a half dozen granola bars. There's a vertical zipper to access the main cargo area, but it's fairly useless when the pack is full.

It fits my summer gear, a 3/4 inflatable pad, lafuma 45degree mummy bag, tarp, tyvek groundcloth, cooking kit, first aid, rain jacket, poly thermal top, my radio, food for 2 days and 2 quart bottles. So far I have less than 10 miles on it, but I like it.

irrationalsolutions

Re: New Walmart Backpack

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:48 pm

that looks pretty good, ill have to swing by there and check it out. i dont "need" another pack but it is a little smaller than my go to pack for the summer so i might have to pick one up.

thanks for the heads up and the review.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

texron

Postby texron » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:16 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:that looks pretty good, ill have to swing by there and check it out. i dont "need" another pack but it is a little smaller than my go to pack for the summer so i might have to pick one up.

thanks for the heads up and the review.

Do you ever really NEED another pack?? Go buy it, you know you want to :twisted:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:25 pm

MK, Nice review and heads up on the pack. Those waist belt pockets look nice. Your radio, ipod, camera, map, compass,gps are easily accessible using the belt pockets. I usually carry a small fanny pack in the front to keep my quick needed items at easy access. The belt pockets might eliminate the need for the fanny pack.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:02 pm

Nice..excellent bargain!!!The biggest rant I have for my go-lites is the lack of ANY front pockets..I end up wearing a vest with pockets under the pack just to have something for the digital camera,bear food(trail mix) ..and other small junk that's necessary to get to without taking the damn thing off.I may end up making and sewing on a couple of those over the existing pieces of garbage that barely will hold a piece of gum... :lol:
Looks like a great pack for the money..hard to believe what they can put in a $30 pack and still make a profit! :DB: It makes you wonder what value you are really getting for the $200 wonders! :o
I paid $40-45 for my go-lites..so I can't complain too loud...but I will add decent size waistbelt pockets... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 pm

i stopped by walmart and they didnt have any of those. they did have a few others there but nothing worth looking at as far as im concerned. there are a couple more in the area so i may stop by them later on this week and see if they are there.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Next time out< I'll check them out if they have them, thanks for the review and heads-up.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:25 am

realityguy wrote:Nice..excellent bargain!!!The biggest rant I have for my go-lites is the lack of ANY front pockets..I end up wearing a vest with pockets under the pack just to have something for the digital camera,bear food(trail mix) ..and other small junk that's necessary to get to without taking the damn thing off.I may end up making and sewing on a couple of those over the existing pieces of garbage that barely will hold a piece of gum... :lol:
Looks like a great pack for the money..hard to believe what they can put in a $30 pack and still make a profit! :DB: It makes you wonder what value you are really getting for the $200 wonders! :o
I paid $40-45 for my go-lites..so I can't complain too loud...but I will add decent size waistbelt pockets... ;)

Yeah, I just got a 2009 Jam2 for 80$ from the golite sale, the 2009 model had some good changes like hipbelt pockets and a mesh padded back panel. I still couldn't resist getting this one.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:i stopped by walmart and they didnt have any of those. they did have a few others there but nothing worth looking at as far as im concerned.

Agreed, this one was the only one I've seen there that was worth looking at.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 pm

i found one! the walmart on the other side of town had them. they had the black and that blue-ish color. the blue was alright and i might have gotten it instead of the black but the wife was with me and she was looking at the blue one too much. :twisted:

looking it over it looks good. the stitching that you can see looks good and it fits good. the only issue i have with it is the hydration hose clip, its on the wrong side. it is made onto the left strap and i like mine on the right strap. other than that it looks like a well made pack.

thanks again for the heads up!

ps
since the wife was with me and i got a pack she got something. so im stuck sitting through a chick flick now. :(

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”