New Walmart Backpack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
irrationalsolutions

Re: New Walmart Backpack

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am

its basically the same pack. and like i said before it seems like a good pack to me, the only thing i have had to do to use it is start switching to more compact and more light weight gear, which is something i wanted to do anyway.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:10 pm

The less volume a pack has the lighter it will be and the more cr-- ..er.. "stuff" you'll need to strap on the outside to make up for that lack of volume.I think the lightest pack would consist of a waist belt,couple shoulder straps that go down to your butt(or the waist belt) in the back of daisy chain links, and everything hung off bags on those two straps..Hmm maybe I'll make one like that someday..should weigh about 6-8oz on the heavy side...I'll have to find an old pack(not too hard around here),Canabilize the straps and waist belt,nylon strapping, and a big tent bag... and sew it between the two straps for the back..Should take about 2 hours to make.D*mn..another project! :evil: ..should cost about a nickel since I have everything..

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm

realityguy wrote:The less volume a pack has the lighter it will be and the more cr-- ..er.. "stuff" you'll need to strap on the outside to make up for that lack of volume.I think the lightest pack would consist of a waist belt,couple shoulder straps that go down to your butt(or the waist belt) in the back of daisy chain links, and everything hung off bags on those two straps..Hmm maybe I'll make one like that someday..should weigh about 6-8oz on the heavy side...I'll have to find an old pack(not too hard around here),Canabilize the straps and waist belt,nylon strapping, and a big tent bag... and sew it between the two straps for the back..Should take about 2 hours to make.D*mn..another project! :evil: ..should cost about a nickel since I have everything..

Cuz, you crack me up. :lol: Better to be sewing inside in the airconditioning than working construction with the sweltering heat outside but then again it is probably not that hot up your way, ehh?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Aw..it's a mere 80 today and supposed to be getting 90 tomorrow...I worked outside today and off for the weekend..back to work monday..only 5-6 hour days... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:01 pm

realityguy wrote:The less volume a pack has the lighter it will be and the more cr-- ..er.. "stuff" you'll need to strap on the outside to make up for that lack of volume.I think the lightest pack would consist of a waist belt,couple shoulder straps that go down to your butt(or the waist belt) in the back of daisy chain links, and everything hung off bags on those two straps..Hmm maybe I'll make one like that someday..should weigh about 6-8oz on the heavy side...I'll have to find an old pack(not too hard around here),Canabilize the straps and waist belt,nylon strapping, and a big tent bag... and sew it between the two straps for the back..Should take about 2 hours to make.D*mn..another project! :evil: ..should cost about a nickel since I have everything..

there's something like this on the market, but i forget what it's called.
you lay it front down on the ground and fold you're tarp to fit the width. lay your gear on the tarp and fold the tarp to cover and contain it, klick in the outside straps, cinch down, and you're ready to go.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Kinda like those old WW1 doughboy packs.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:57 am

Pick out a good straight stick/pole from where ever, put it through the tied ends a put over shoulder to carry. Stick will support center of tarp for use as shelter :D Called hobo pack?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:21 am

I actually have a sail I've been eyeballing for making the bag portion out of..can't get more durable than that!Pack bundles..I know what you are talking about but think it would be a pita to pack and unpack one of those critters,especially in pouring rain over a mud puddle.. :o ..No..I think I'd rather have a separate pack bag... :roll:
I also picked up smaller pieces of some cordura,and polycoated nylon specifically for making a pack and have a few old external and internal frame packs for stealing parts off of.I'm not hurtin' for supplies for making 1 or several even.
The only thing preventing me from making them is that I already have working gear/packs and just waiting for that "wild hair"... :shock:

Danielsen

Postby Danielsen » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 pm

I realize this thread has drifted a little, but I plan on picking up one of these after my next paycheck comes in. I also own one of the other Walmart OP packs, the one currently called the arrowhead (when I bought it it hadn't been given a name yet and came in different colors). The arrowhead was easy to modify by using a razorblade to remove the cramped lid pocket (left the lid), the heavy and also useless vertical back pocket, and the heavy webbing inside that held in the aluminum stays (also removed). Using a rolled-up blue foamy as a frame of sorts, it's a sub-2-pound pack that handles surprisingly well up to 20something pounds.

However, it's not particularly durable, it's clunky looking (I know, who really cares), and there aren't many features left or external attachment points. And I don't need the capacity. I tried on a Skyline at walmart the other day and it fit like a glove... at $30 I can't not get one.

Looking at the dimensions, a thermarest z-lite (the one that folds up in rectangles) unfolded halfway will make a perfect framesheet for support (I'll get rid of the aluminum stay) and the remaining space will hold a campmor 20 down bag (and bivy in the winter) with plenty of room to spare for food and clothing. Stuff my poncho-tarp on top, hang my water in front, and this looks like it could be my ideal bag. Funny to find it at walmart after perusing the cottage manufacturers and etc for all this time. If I like it enough I may have to buy an extra for when it wears out; Outdoor Products doesn't seem very good at continuing product lines. Seems pretty durable as-is, though.

Anyone use one for any real hiking/backpacking yet?

cameronm99

Postby cameronm99 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:56 pm

Has any one considered putting an extension collar on this thing? I want to be able to use it for overnighters, but I don't have the money to invest in a better sleeping bag at the moment.I was thinking if I remove the top and add a role top collar, that I could add a a little volume with nearly zero weight penalty.

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”