New Walmart Backpack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
Ridgerunner

Re: New Walmart Backpack

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 pm

6lbs ,Cuz? ..might as well pack the Taj Mahal!
I believe I did say "similar to this", referring to the style and for the price, I could deal with an extra pound( 3lbs. a piece w/2 people) for a weekend trip. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Well..he seemed concerned about the weight because he was talking about dumping the poles for trek ones.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Indeed, I'm all about the weight. :DB: We really shouldn't be running into too much bad weather, just HOT. We need something to keep the critters off while we sleep and that's about it. Will definitely be investing in an emergency blanket and the trash bags. I've always wanted to get one of those blankets, but never had an excuse down here. :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Because the blankets are "foiled"..it might be handy to pitch them over the tent to reflect the heat of the day also... ;) They don't weigh anything and handy for several reasons to pack along with you.Some hiking books I've read in the warmer climates use the foil to cover umbrellas,hats,etc..for cooling while hiking on the trail.There's a lot of notes of converting umbrellas for trail use,reducing the weight,and using the foil in warmer areas.Maybe that was in Ray Jardine's books ..or Collin Fletcher's.. :roll: ..I read too many hiking/survival books this winter,can't remember which had what! :lol:
I find the blankets around here at thrift stores all the time..pick them up for $1-2..and then lose them in my pile... :lol: I usually leave 1-2 in every pack.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:21 pm

realityguy wrote:Because the blankets are "foiled"..it might be handy to pitch them over the tent to reflect the heat of the day also... ;) They don't weigh anything and handy for several reasons to pack along with you.Some hiking books I've read in the warmer climates use the foil to cover umbrellas,hats,etc..for cooling while hiking on the trail.There's a lot of notes of converting umbrellas for trail use,reducing the weight,and using the foil in warmer areas.Maybe that was in Ray Jardine's books ..or Collin Fletcher's.. :roll: ..I read too many hiking/survival books this winter,can't remember which had what! :lol:
I find the blankets around here at thrift stores all the time..pick them up for $1-2..and then lose them in my pile... :lol: I usually leave 1-2 in every pack.

Brilliant ideas. Are we off topic yet? Hmm...I should start a new topic closer to the mark lol.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:52 pm

We NEVER get off topic around here.. :roll:

:lol:

Your hiking is a bit different than 95% of the others around here where most are trying to stay warm..and you are trying to stay cool...Try to find some books on desert camping and hiking verses AT,PCT,and those based farther north.Check your local library for ones authored by Colin Fletcher(A Walk Through Time/in the Grand Canyon),Edward Abbey/Desert Solitaire(need to find that and read it yet :cry: ),Chris Townsend/Crossing Arizona,or Ray Jardine(Beyond Backpacking..has the umbrella modifications)..give you some good reading..

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 am

http://www.amazon.com/Backpackers-Field ... 000&sr=1-1

That's the only book I've checked out on the topic. I need to finish it one of these days. XD I'm not much of a book reader. Thanks for the suggestions though. I must improve my attention span.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 am

Actually I haven't been much of a reader either for the last twenty years or so..rarely even read the newspaper!This last winter I started doing more though..books on hiking,Washington State histories and the logging and parks,survival,etc..Things I'm currently interested in..makes a large difference compared to things you were forced to read... ;)
The books I listed have more to do with warm weather hiking..or at least parts of them..

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:57 pm

Well, our local academy didn't have the tent we wanted so it sounds like the trip is postponed. Instead I will be doing some shopping for the gear I need this upcoming weekend. Here's a tentative list:

Water filter:
http://www.antigravitygear.com/katadyn- ... ilter.html

Purification tablets???

Tent (still):
http://www.bicsuperstore.com/Academy-Br ... 9X3ZWW.htm

Tent stakes:
http://www.antigravitygear.com/titanium ... -of-8.html

Where do I find shock cord???

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Looking at the tent specs...I didn't see the 3.4 pounds in the written description before..but the 5lbs listed below..and then they also have 2.8lbs listed...????... :roll: Which is it???..Maybe someone else has a better description or explanation of the weight ..

Edit..okay..others say 3.4 lbs so that must be it..Appears there are two poles at 44-45"(1/2 width squared+ height squared+ the hypotenuese squared=pole length in front) and probably a third rear pole about 22"(will a third trek go down to 22")..You'll probably have to use the rear pole but ditching the front two for trekkers probably will save about 7-8oz(approximately 1oz per foot if they are fiberglass poles...Congratulations..you are under 3lbs! ;)

The filter and purification tabs..depends on what you are pumping water out of....streams,stock tanks,etc..That's something you'll have to figure out for your area.The purification tabs can be a light back up rather than boiling the water...if your filter clogs up...Some people don't like the taste,the wait,etc..
Generally for single overnights,the wife and I pack water for drinking.If we have a clear stream to pump out of,we use that for cooking purposes(usually pump 64cooking,carry 64drinking plus a couple bottles on the packs).Your water intake is determined by your conditions..yours will be higher than mine because of the heat factor.
Before an overnight hike in,I tank up by drinking about 16 ounces just before I hit the trail(after coffee also);usually don't drink much more(ounce or two) for the first five miles that way and don't have to pack another 16oz for that hike.For myself..I'll pack/pump 64-84oz for dinner,oatmeal for breakfast,coffee twice..and still have 16-24oz for the trip out.When the wife goes with me,we pack another quart or so(say 128oz...gallon,if we pack it all) and a couple 16oz bottles.

Titanium tent stakes..do you think the weight gain is worth $18?...maybe you should see what you get with the tent..or spend more for the tent...JMHO..

What is the shock cord for? Coghlan's sells it a lot of places cheap---> http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/co ... tml?ref=42

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”