New Walmart Backpack

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
realityguy

Re: New Walmart Backpack

Postby realityguy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Okay Zelph..now that we've seen you hanging in the bridge hammock..how about some removable shoulder "straps" that will attach to the two poles in such a way that you can roll all your goodies inside the hammock body, slip a couple loops over the ends of those poles;couple bungee straps to hold everything together.. and you're "stylin" for a hobo(as posted above)!.. :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:06 am

realityguy wrote:Okay Zelph..now that we've seen you hanging in the bridge hammock..how about some removable shoulder "straps" that will attach to the two poles in such a way that you can roll all your goodies inside the hammock body, slip a couple loops over the ends of those poles;couple bungee straps to hold everything together.. and you're "stylin" for a hobo(as posted above)!.. :roll:
:lol:

That would work!! :D

SilNylon really makes for lightweight gear. I'm amazed at it's strength.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Danielsen

Postby Danielsen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:29 pm

cameronm99 wrote:Has any one considered putting an extension collar on this thing? I want to be able to use it for overnighters, but I don't have the money to invest in a better sleeping bag at the moment.I was thinking if I remove the top and add a role top collar, that I could add a a little volume with nearly zero weight penalty.

I'm thinking that might be a bit tougher to do than you're thinking. The design of the pack just really doesn't lend itself to a roll top. However, the shock cords on the top of the lid are very useful storage space (I can fit a full-sized CCF pad up there if I want to) and the webbing loops that go down the back provide storage space as well (I strung some more shock cord w/ cordlock between them to make it easier. Between those two storage areas, by either moving some of your gear to a stuff sack lashed or shock-corded to the outside of the pack or if your sleeping bag can comfortably attach to either of those points, you should be good.

I may be biased. I just figured out how to fit 3-season gear for a week into my old blue-and-orange EF Tours bag, the kind you see in this picture
You don't have to spend big to do that, though. Everything but my sleeping bag was under $50. Heck, the pack itself was free :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Between those two storage areas, by either moving some of your gear to a stuff sack lashed or shock-corded to the outside of the pack or if your sleeping bag can comfortably attach to either of those points, you should be good.

Great idea, sounds like it would really work well.

Was the photo taken in Europe?

Danielsen

Postby Danielsen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:02 pm

I have no idea, it's not my photo. ;) Just the first that google images turned up for "EF tours backpack."

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 am

Danielsen wrote:I have no idea, it's not my photo. ;) Just the first that google images turned up for "EF tours backpack."

I thought one of the 3 might be a friend of yours. :D and you were taking the pic.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Well, I bit the bullet. WallyWorld was down to one pack left for $25 so I picked it up thinking I might get my daughter interested in hiking. She loves to camp so backpacking would be a step up the ladder. ;) I will test it out first and try it in the Smokies, weather permitting ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”