Newb Here

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
mrhughes1982

Re: Newb Here

Postby mrhughes1982 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Made my first Supercat stove :D Think my dads cat finally took a liking to me too. He's gonna love me cause I'm going to make some more. I gotta lot of fine tuning to do and my first one was kinda of ugly. Was going to put a picture on here but I didn't have a camera with me. Thanks guys for all the helpful advice so far. I gotta a lot to learn. My first one didn't boil water, had bubbles on the bottom but I think I had to much water and the flames were all over the place. I'll get it. Thanks again guys.
Mitch

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Most cats love stovies... :mrgreen:.Now you know why mine are 16lbs each..cases of Fancy Feast :mrgreen:
Most testing seems to be done with using 16oz of water and 1/2 to 1oz of fuel and pretty accurate measurements.Try and stay with that amount for your testing.That way if you have any questions about something not seeming to work right,those variables will be known and it's easier for people here to answer questions as to why it didn't work,make suggestions for improvements(from past experience with similar materials,fuel,water amounts you use,etc.)
If someone comes here saying they can't get 'their water to boil" ..and they are using two gallons and haven't told anybody that..well,that's pretty obvious where the problem lies! :lol:
If you don't have a small measurment bottle for 1oz or 2oz,you can pick up a cheap hand sanitizer,use the contents, and mark the bottle on the side for your use of fuel.Most of those are usually pretty even in size form top to bottom(making your fuel amount marks more accurate..1/2 bottle,1/4 bottle),a pretty handy size for day hikes,and dirt cheap at dollar stores..if you have one in the area.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey Mitch, don't go any smaller in diameter than the Fancy Feast size container. It's hard to get a pot on center of the smaller stoves such as redbull and juice cans of the same size. Don't want you losing a pot full of water and spreading some flaming alcohol everywhere. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

mrhughes1982

Postby mrhughes1982 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Haven't been back here for a while cause I've been waiting to get a new pot. Mine was just two big and not ideal for what I'd be using so I've made a few supercats and my new pot came in today. I'll keep you all informed on how my tests and such go.
Attachments
Evernew600Pot-Big.jpg
Mitch

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:35 pm

Just yesterday I thought of making a nice tough Supercat out of an aluminum beer bottle. anyone tried that???? It would make a nice tough/durable stove and may even burn a little slower and more efficient than one made of a Fancey Feast can.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:48 pm

Nope, have not tried that. I don't have any spare empties. They all get shipped to some dude in Illinois ! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Nope, have not tried that. I don't have any spare empties. They all get shipped to some dude in Illinois ! :lol:

:o Lucky dude!!!!! he'll have to try one when time permits :D

Nice pot mrhughes. Keep us informed and try making a supercat out of an aluminum beverage bottle.

David@Whiteblaze

Postby David@Whiteblaze » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Welcome *ahem* Mr. *ahem* Mitch...
Ridgerunner wrote:Welcome Mitch ! Glad you stopped in. You can find links to do-it-yourself stoves in the Links forum. Hiking the AT next year, you lucky dog ! I wish I was going with you. ;) I'm just finishing reading "Ten Million Steps" by Nimblewill Nomad. He hiked in 98 from the Florida glades all the way to Canada along the entire appalachain mountain range. Great read ! Best of wishes with your upcoming adventure and feel free to ask any questions as everyone here is pretty opened and sharing of knowledge and ideas. ;)

We just bought that book, how was it?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm

David@Whiteblaze wrote:Welcome *ahem* Mr. *ahem* Mitch...
Ridgerunner wrote:Welcome Mitch ! Glad you stopped in. You can find links to do-it-yourself stoves in the Links forum. Hiking the AT next year, you lucky dog ! I wish I was going with you. ;) I'm just finishing reading "Ten Million Steps" by Nimblewill Nomad. He hiked in 98 from the Florida glades all the way to Canada along the entire appalachain mountain range. Great read ! Best of wishes with your upcoming adventure and feel free to ask any questions as everyone here is pretty opened and sharing of knowledge and ideas. ;)

We just bought that book, how was it?

It is an excellent book. It keeps you captivated. I have not completed it yet as I am reading a couple other books at the same time. I have been reading the World Walker which was written by a local author that I met last year. Usually I read one book at a time but I am juggling 3 which really slows me down. Unfortunately, I'm not like my sister-in-law, who can read one of these thick books in the course of a day where it takes me a month or two as I usually just have time for a chapter or two at a time. :oops:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

David@Whiteblaze

Postby David@Whiteblaze » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 pm

I amjuggling three as well, so far, I've made it to lake Okeechobee...

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”