Newb Here

Welcome to bpLite. Introduce yourself, give a little hello and WELCOME.
mrhughes1982

Newb Here

Postby mrhughes1982 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Hello everybody :!:

Im knew to this forum. Stumbled across it doing some doing some research for hiking the AT next year and I had never came across these stoves before and I am absolutely amazed but I have no idea where to start. :? I want to play around this weekend and try to make one but I have no idea where to start out. What would be a good design to start out with and another question is how much alcohol do you need? I've been searching the articles but I'm kind of overloaded with ideas and was hoping someone could just break it down for me real quick and give me a idea to start out with. It'd be much appreciated. Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say and creating something of my own. Thanky
Mitch

zelph

Re: Newb Here

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi Mitch, glad to have you here. :D

Start out making a Supercat stove.

Tool needed is a hand held paper punch. Usually 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol will boil 2 cups of water . Denatured alcohol can be found at all big box stores in the paint departments.

You cought me by surprise and on the run, don't have any links to guide you to a thread for directions on hole placement.
A small Fancy Feast cat food can is used as the container.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

mrhughes1982

Postby mrhughes1982 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Cool 8-) Thanks for the response. I saw that one in there but I didn't know if I should try that or a popcan. I'll look a bit more into it on the holes and maybe I can try to make it tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it goes. I'm so excited to try this out :DB: :DP: :DB:
Mitch

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Welcome Mitch ! Glad you stopped in. You can find links to do-it-yourself stoves in the Links forum. Hiking the AT next year, you lucky dog ! I wish I was going with you. ;) I'm just finishing reading "Ten Million Steps" by Nimblewill Nomad. He hiked in 98 from the Florida glades all the way to Canada along the entire appalachain mountain range. Great read ! Best of wishes with your upcoming adventure and feel free to ask any questions as everyone here is pretty opened and sharing of knowledge and ideas. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Welcome Aboard Mitch!
the Super-Cat that i used for the "Simmer-Cat" has two rows of twelve holes each. pics in this thread::

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1313

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi!

What would be a good design to start out with and another question is how much alcohol do you need?

Any design will work fine!On the second question..usually a six pack of beer is enough alcohol to get a stovie in the mood for making something! :mrgreen:
Oh..you mean IN THE STOVE!..uh..nevermind.. :lol:
A lot of us go down to the local walmart and buy up all the yellow cans of HEET they have in the automotive section.Most stoves will boil water with 1/2-1oz of fuel so a 12 oz bottle goes a long ways..get a six pack(of HEET!)..because next time they maybe out of the stuff!..Up north here it's a $1.37 a bottle. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:17 pm

realityguy wrote:Hi!

What would be a good design to start out with and another question is how much alcohol do you need?

Any design will work fine!On the second question..usually a six pack of beer is enough alcohol to get a stovie in the mood for making something! :mrgreen:
Oh..you mean IN THE STOVE!..uh..nevermind.. :lol:
A lot of us go down to the local walmart and buy up all the yellow cans of HEET they have in the automotive section.Most stoves will boil water with 1/2-1oz of fuel so a 12 oz bottle goes a long ways..get a six pack(of HEET!)..because next time they maybe out of the stuff!..Up north here it's a $1.37 a bottle. ;)

up here in Canada i just buy methyl hydrate by the 4-liter-jug. 6-8 buck a four-liter-jug, in the paint department, depending on where i get it. for stovie priming....... that's another story. the never-ending story. ;)

my first burner, many years ago, was the "Pepsi-G". then the "Photon". i've moved on and up from there. :)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:56 am

My local Kmart does not sell HEET in the summer time. :( I stock up in the spring when they clearance it for buck a bottle :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:21 pm

zelph wrote:My local Kmart does not sell HEET in the summer time. :( I stock up in the spring when they clearance it for buck a bottle :D

Smart shopping, Zelph ;) I do the same thing at the thrift stores, buying winter clothing in the summer time and summer clothing in the winter time as they sell it cheaper in the off season. :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 pm

[quote="DarenN
up here in Canada i just buy methyl hydrate by the 4-liter-jug. 6-8 buck a four-liter-jug, in the paint department, depending on where i get it. for stovie priming....... that's another story. the never-ending story. ;)

my first burner, many years ago, was the "Pepsi-G". then the "Photon". i've moved on and up from there. :)[/quote]

4 litre for 8 bucks, geesh!!!you guys out northwest sure do get some good buys :D

Return to “Welcome to bpLite.com!”