Ukulele's

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
ConnieD

Re: Ukulele's

Postby ConnieD » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:45 pm

vocals aren't a requirement... the ukulele makes sweet music.

It is not plunk, plunk, plunk, plinkity plunk, plunk.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Plastic ukuleles... :roll: ..They have a proper place..as paddles for an inflatable raft,water cups, or stinky firestarters.. ;)
Sorry..but I quit posting pics when the same ideas started coming out of Viet Nam two weeks after ..for 99 cent starts on ebay and rip-off postage(remember..you get what you pay for!)
I still don't sing much..I'm up to over 50 ukuleles all the time here(sorry..I lose count)..restore a lot of vintage ones(3 the last couple weeks..1920 hawaiian one..Aloha??,a Martin soprano,and a unique Biltmore Concert)).. own six martins(baritone,tiple,2 concerts,2 sopranos) and a gibson tenor(want to buy a nice restored Gibby for $1000?)...but I'm probably going to thin my herd..and still make some new ones.I finished 4 necks yesterday in different sizes(soprano,concert,tenor,and tiple..have too many baritones right now)..I need to get a couple sets of sides bent today.
I don't hit the ukulele meets as much as I'd like any more..My building has slowed down and it will probably be 80% special orders,other than a few expensive ukulele clones and tiples..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:35 pm

:lol: "Stinky firestarter"

Take a look at the thread over at whitblaze.net that has a uke for sale:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr ... or-Ukulele

Note the outcome given from the one who bought it :o

Is this a ukulele that Shug is playing?

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:34 pm

realityguy, you have been busy! w0w

I remember when you started.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:18 am

He's playing a mandolin...

Connie..I don't sell over the net,no website and I don't sell them on ebay,craigs maybe..I want people to PLAY my instruments,not just look at them ..so they usually come here to try several..

Nice try.. USPS...Guess what I got for christmas.. :evil:

No matter.Fortunately it wasn't worth the hassles of claiming the insurance on it(and they would confiscate it)..worth more to me than that.So I fixed the damn thing..That's what I do...Around 1920s Hawaiian koa one.. 8-)
After...All gone except one faint line behind the bridge to the back and another hairline on the back where they collapsed and split the back end open also.. :roll: ..new top brace and bridge plate,5 new tiny cleats inside,a new koa bridge...refinished(tru-oil) the body(neck and head were fine for finish)better tuners,new strings = new life..Plays nice..really low action(strings close to the fretboard)...This has the Hawaiian State emblem on it but no name brand,no label inside..but probably an "Aloha" brand..I'll sell it locally for say $200..barely pays for my time but I enjoy bringing the dead back to life.. ;)

More repairs on Martins..
Hey Willy..Here's another Trigger! :lol:
This lady was amazed at the "before and after" $40 broken up martin she got at a yard sale to just hang on her wall..It plays like new now.. :roll:
A little bit of clamping and glue.. :shock:
And it's reborn.. :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Excellent repairs :D Excellent photos....kept going back and looking at them time and time again. amazing how well you've brought them back to life. :D

Now try your hand at a base fiddle :mrgreen:

What is the recommended way to ship a string instrument?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:06 pm

What is the recommended way to ship a string instrument?

Hand carried on a plane or in a car.. ;) ..I ship very few instruments..but have shipped them to Alaska,IL,and a few to HI...People from Oregon drive up,about every two months..
Lets' see..Fedex likes to leave them on your porch..the DAY BEFORE they said they were going to deliver it..Probably packed in a full size guitar box marked FENDER..Stolen off the porch...
Wailuki ,Maui..USPS..looked like they drop kicked a couple ukuleles overpacked..insured for $1500...broke a rib inside one...insurance wouldn't pay unless they confiscate BOTH...
UPS..haven't used them in years..since they refused to pay for an insured package..
Other than that..I've been pretty lucky.I can't guarantee how items are shipped to me.That little Hawaiian one was in a small guitar box,packed with shipping paper, and wrapped in a few layers of smaller bubblewrap..They had to try hard to break it..and succeeded..NEVER WRITE "FRAGILE" ON A BOX..They seem to see that as a challenge... :roll:
I overpack items going out..it's a crap shoot which shipper is better(or worse)..Fedex is delivering through USPS now..so you get two carriers with using them.I like that because my mail carrier knows better than leaving a package on my porch(Fedex doesn't and isn't responsible as far as delivering on when their website tracking says it will be).....I get a notice from my carrier instead..pick it up..or deliver the next day.I've actually watched tracking and picked them up at my city PO before it gets with the carrier..
My Traveler ukuleles(as opposed to the other website traveler's statistics:
The cedar one is a full size tenor that weighs 14.3 ounces(well..it does have heavy tuners..17" scale,24-1/2" long,9"wide,and 3"+ deep),has a deeper,nicer tone than 90% of the other tenors out there..and a 10 Oz Martin Style 0 Soprano that I cut about a third of the depth off( :o ..Now that takes nerve! :lol: )....If they break..I can find another Martin to hack..or find another 2x8x18" piece of 20 year old western red cedar in my garage to make a new tenor teardrop.. ;) ..That's the advantage of building your own...
But..I don't hike in the rain,don't use inflatables..and do carry firestarters.. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:38 pm

Well that scrunched one I would have used it for kindling and used a flint and steel to start it on fire....that's me though :lol: You did good to rescue it :D

I suspect they make a sturdy "carry case" for ukulele's and that would be the best way to start the packaging process. Violin case/boxes seem to be bomb proof.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm

Those Hawaiian ones aren't good firestarters..pretty pricey, thin for wood,and would burn up pretty quick... :roll: What you want are some Old Giannini,Kent Carmencita,newer Conrad,or newer Harmony Baritones..aren't worth crap and about all they ARE good for...Or any of the Chinese or Vietnamese ukuleles... :lol: :lol: :lol: (I know you owners of Lanikais are probably getting pretty steamed right now..Read the bottom line of my posts... ;) )

You can get a good hard case for a ukulele for about $30-50(size?) off ebay...They do have fiberglass cases I've seen for $50 and up.I've bought a couple cases for the more expensive ukuleles.This guy sells them pretty reasonable!..but I don't think he sells baritone sizes.I've got probably a dozen baritones and nothing but cheap cases.(I restore/revamp/modify some older baritones and resell them on a regular basis and regular running ad..). :roll:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deluxe-Concert- ... 2c71408196
I bought one of those cases for my Gibson tenor and one for one of my 2 Martin Concerts..ukuleles I'm going to sell someday soon.They sell a lot better(and for more $) with a decent case included...

kranaux10

Postby kranaux10 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:13 am

ConnieD wrote:White Blaze forum had a thread for selling a ukulele.

It was there I found these links. There are YouTube video from there.

There is some great stuff, at YouTube, with different ukulele's , the music, music lessons.

There is really some beautiful music there.

I thought realityguy would like to know about it.

I do not know what is happening but I can not open the video when I would like to see it so much.

Return to “General”