Survival Kit

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
heckdog

Survival Kit

Post by heckdog » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:43 pm

What is in yours? Is it in a pack or in your pockets? When/where do you think "I'm taking my kit with me"? Give me the lightweight spin on survival :!: :!:

Pure Mahem

Re: Survival Kit

Post by Pure Mahem » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:23 pm

I listed the entire contents of my survival/firstaid kit. It all fits inside one 1quart Ziploc Freezer bag. Some consider these to be seperate kits but I consider them to go hand in hand as an overall emergency kit. I always carry it when I go on any kind of trip or hike.This kits usual home is in my hiking backpack. If I go on a long car ride to somewhere I will take it with me too. On a daily basis I do carry a knife and a ferrocerium rod with me all the time along with a razor blade and a couple bandaids in my wallet. I have a different type of kit I carry in the car for break downs and cold weather, I always keep a blanket in the car to just in case. It comes in handy for picnics in the summer and laying in the park to watch fire works and listening to concerts and will keep you warm if you get stranded in the winter.

First Aid
1 pair of XL Exam Gloves 18 g
Tweezers 8 g
3 Tongue Depressors 11 g
4 Alcohol Wipes 5 g
10 Band Aids 8 g
4 Knuckle Bandages 4 g
4 Fingertip Bandages 3 g
Mole Skin 5 g
Super Glue 6 g
10 Butterfly Closures 2 g
4 4”x4” Gauze Pads 26 g
4 2”x2” Gauze Pads 5 g
Hemorrhoid Suppository 5 g
Sports Tape 9 g
Micro Pore Tape 15 g
ACE Bandage 46 g
Triple Antibiotic Ointment 32 g
Roll of Rolaids 19 g
6 Imodium Tablets 4 g
Ibuprofen Tablets
6 Benadryl Capsules 4 g
Prescription Medicines

TOTAL FIRST AID 235 g

Survival
Assorted Needles & Pins 5 g
Sewing Kit Container 3 g
Assorted Thread 3 g
Razor Blade 3 g
8 Twist Ties 1 g
Survival Signal Mirror 26 g
Whistle 8 g
Ferocerrium Rod 13 g
Emergency Blanket 45 g
2 Light Sticks 49 g
Pocket Chainsaw 97 g
Duct Tape 19 g
12 Snares 18 g
Fishing Kit 14 g
3 Fire Starters 8 g
Buck Prince Folding Knife 56 g
Quart Ziploc Freezer Bag 7 g

TOTAL SURVIVAL 375 g

I've listed this a couple times on different sites when the subject is brought up so it may look familiar.
:mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm

I carry it with me all the time.
Mini ferrocerium rod
Single edge razor blade.
One tablespoon of magnesium shavings sealed in plastic the size of a creditcard.

In this day and age these items will allow me to survive most situations.

Nice list of items Pure Mehem. You'll survive!!!!! :)

I'll list other items for different situations when I return at the end of the month.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

russb

Post by russb » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:22 pm

I have a nylon no-frills fanny pack I bought on ebay for $5. In it is my first aid kit, fire-starting kit, sewing/repair kit. extra TP, emergency blanket, emergency poncho, small knife. I weighed it once but do not remember what it came to. I take this with me for all my outdoor activities like hiking, skiing, backpacking etc... I replenish it as I use something. I also have a wool blanket in my car for the very reasons mentioned earlier.

heckdog

Post by heckdog » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 pm

Any cheap sources for magnesium?

russb

Post by russb » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:58 pm

heckdog wrote:Any cheap sources for magnesium?
Science Lab suppliers for schools perhaps. A quick search found this: http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Magnes ... 8C668.aspx I don't know if this is considered "cheap".

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48 pm

I've bought from this guy. Best deal I found. http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-MAGNESIUM-ROD-1 ... dZViewItem another source maybe if you know some one that works in the heating and cooling business you might be able to get a magnesium anode for a hot water tank from them cheap. The sets are usually pretty expensive though but hey you never know if you know the guy they may just give it to you! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:41 pm

A couple of years ago, "Outdoor Life" magazine had an article on making your own survival kit. It all fit in an Altoids tin including a space blanket. I will have to go into the archives and see if I can dig it up.

Update......it was actually Field and Stream magazine. here is a link to it.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstre ... 88,00.html
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:29 pm

Ebay has some at reasonable prices now and then. Check every few days.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Post by bmike » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:A couple of years ago, "Outdoor Life" magazine had an article on making your own survival kit. It all fit in an Altoids tin including a space blanket. I will have to go into the archives and see if I can dig it up.

Update......it was actually Field and Stream magazine. here is a link to it.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstre ... 88,00.html
interesting kit. they should mention that your survival gear should be tuned to your environment though.
all that fishing gear won't serve you so well in the middle of the desert, or on the tundra (well, maybe on the tundra, for tripping up caribou :D ).

the 'survival' test i found on there somewhere is lame though. questions are pretty basic - but for the most part all choices made in the outdoors should be made in the full context of your immediate surroundings, the larger environmental conditions, weather conditions, and you - injured, cold, hungry, etc. etc.