start a fire

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Re: start a fire

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:55 pm

ConnieD wrote:
oversize flints

Where would I find replacements, if I needed to find replacements :?:

[color=#FF0000]Do you mean, flints for the "sparkers" for an acetylene torch?[/[/color]quote]

Yes, flints for torches. They come in two sizes. If you cant find them local ask me for some :D

Sudden, I made one smaller :D I carried it with me on my keychain. Every chance I got I went into a woods to find different tinder I thought would light with a spark. I used a hammered brass blade used on spinner lures for the cover. Cover is fastened with a machine screww and 2 nuts. Inside was a small flint attached to a jute twine lanyard so I wouldn't lose the small hand held flint. Everything fit into the cup.

It took me a long time to find these two photos. I have over 2,000 photos at photobucket that I had to look through. Maybe someday I'll total up how many photos and videos I have there.

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:04 pm

zelph wrote: Sudden, I made one smaller :D I carried it with me on my keychain. Every chance I got I went into a woods to find different tinder I thought would light with a spark. I used a hammered brass blade used on spinner lures for the cover. Cover is fastened with a machine screww and 2 nuts. Inside was a small flint attached to a jute twine lanyard so I wouldn't lose the small hand held flint. Everything fit into the cup.

I like it but is it something you could light one handed with a mitten (think frozen fingers) or by pushing on it with your foot? Will it stay lit for several minutes once you strike a spark?

I'm after a pre-loaded version of a fire starting kit. Take your source of spark, your tinder, your initial kindling, and roll it all into something that requires one movement to ignite and stay lit long enough for you to add bits of wood to build the fire up to something useful. Make sure that if you drop it it still has a chance to stay lit.

The holy grail of frozen finger fire starters :ugeek: . Like a chem light stick does for light. Once you crush the chem stick you have light. You could step on it push on it etc and it will start giving off light. I'm going for something similar that can be used to start a fire with cold hands. My frankenstien creation is ugly and not ultralight but shows me it is possible.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:19 pm

closed
open
These are small and lightweight: both are for cooking over a fire with a green stick.

The "loops" of wire go around the stick, holding in place by the spring action of the wire that keeps it in the "open" position.

The one with the plastic protective "holder" is Sea To Summit. I do not recall the name of the other one.

I found both at REI.

It seems, you could bend appropriate wire, insert it in slots on a "tea light" holder with the striker on the bottem, perhaps, with tinder and wax pressed in place slightly above the striker inside the "tea light" holder. The bottem could have holes for air so the striker can ignite the tinder.

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Always looking for ideas I stumbled on this crazy guy. This would start a fire for sure although you might lose control of it. :roll:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Those are called "bottle rockets" sold as fireworks before they were illegal, because they started house fires when landing on the rooftops of houses and setting them on fire: not so "Happy Fourth of July."

Did you read the "comments" over there at YouTube?

Those "kids" don't know what they are doing and don't know how.

It is amazing those guys didn't start a forest fire.

I LIKE YOUR IDEA BETTER: "Frozen Hands Spark Candle Fire Starter"

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 pm

sudden wrote:
zelph wrote:

I like it but is it something you could light one handed with a mitten (think frozen fingers) or by pushing on it with your foot? Will it stay lit for several minutes once you strike a spark?

I'm after a pre-loaded version of a fire starting kit. Take your source of spark, your tinder, your initial kindling, and roll it all into something that requires one movement to ignite and stay lit long enough for you to add bits of wood to build the fire up to something useful. Make sure that if you drop it it still has a chance to stay lit.

The holy grail of frozen finger fire starters :ugeek: . Like a chem light stick does for light. Once you crush the chem stick you have light. You could step on it push on it etc and it will start giving off light. I'm going for something similar that can be used to start a fire with cold hands. My frankenstien creation is ugly and not ultralight but shows me it is possible.

Make a tube filled with glycerin and a capsul inside it with potasium permaganate. Squeeze on the capsul until it breaks and then shae it and put it down fast into the pile of tinder and hope it melts nicely instead of blowing up. :o We could call it a blow stick instead of glow stick :mrgreen:

I did shorten the torch igniter by modifying the handle length and then took a die and re-threaded the end to screw the flint onto it. Haha, it's in my garage somewhere. It was about 4-5 inches long, fit in the palm of my hand. I made it in the interest of fire technology :DBfire: I got carried away in thought of fire and went searching for the mini tinder tester photos. I forgot about the one handed aspect you were looking for. :oops:

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Zelph, do you still have some spark-lites? the smallest firesteels that I have are the lmf scouts and I have almost worn completely through 3 of them. :geek:

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 pm

zelph wrote:Make a tube filled with glycerin and a capsul inside it with potasium permaganate. Squeeze on the capsul until it breaks and then shae it and put it down fast into the pile of tinder and hope it melts nicely instead of blowing up. :o We could call it a blow stick instead of glow stick :mrgreen:

Looking for a chemical solution is how I found the guy making rocket tubes. I hope he still has all his fingers.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 pm

I have a 2-part chemical fire starter, I believe is no longer sold.
http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/5421835.html

I considered posting this before.

It doesn't seem to me to be appropriate for "public knowledge".

The business address on the label is active: a PM :?:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Pure potasium and water? chemistry 101

:D

Return to “General”