start a fire

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
realityguy

Re: start a fire

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 am

The uke guy.. :lol: ..He recently made his feedback private so people couldn't see the piddly amount people in the past had paid for his ukes or what was even sold..most going from $1-20 ..and repriced his ukes at $150-200 and kept his shipping prices at $85;2-3 times what it should be..People in general aren't buying his fake hogwash and the only ones selling are usually his el cheapos..won't touch his expensive ones..I think I did see one that sold for $49 plus his outrageous shipping costs.It appears he's hoping people will just look at the feedback and think people are buying his expensive ones because they can't tell any more.he's also listed a lot of $10 packs of mop parts..again you can't tell that that is what someone bought.
It's easy to find his stuff..look at ebay's completed auctions under "ukulele MOP" (mop stands for mother of pearl..what his factory workers cover them with)..
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?rt=nc&LH ... 86.c0.m283
Appears a couple sold for $39,49 today(the $182one is another person)..BUT because his auctions are private,he might be bidding up his own items..you can't tell...everything seems to go to one bidder...
He even charges $60 for shipping to Thailand,really close to him.."All taxes and duties are the responsibility of the buyer..Wait'll some dummy pays $200,the high shipping and duties on that amount! :roll: Someone is going to be howling!
I like the one on the first page that went for $17 with 47 bids... :shock: ..Check out the bid history on that one! :lol: Huh???
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:50 am

Here you go... these two designs are smaller, lightweight and made for backpacking-camping.

The idea can be adapted for a striker for a gloved hand.

closed
open

realityguy, could use those eBay uke's for kindling tho' it sounds like the S&H costing would be prohibitive.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:00 am

I was wrong about Blast Match.

It can be opened with one hand, if you put your thumb to one side or the other of the latch. Press hard.

Here is the left-handed opening position...

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 am

Now attach a striker bar... that holds a flint and strikes across a small file piece..to that spring handle.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:04 am

The "Blast Match" has been on the market for many years. One handed use. I don't have one, can't report on it.

I'll google.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:14 am

zelph wrote:The "Blast Match" has been on the market for many years. One handed use. I don't have one, can't report on it.

I'll google.

Video also includes the "spark-lite" which should be held like a bic lighter when used. That is my preference. I have a video here showing it used with one hand just like you see in this vid.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:36 am

I carry the SPARK-LITES.

I especially like the SPARK-LITE, with extra flints, made by zelph.

I don't feel the need for a FireSteel, although I might purchase the FireSteel Armageddon Junior with Scraper and Lanyard. It has the 3/8-inch FireSteel, which is what I like about the Blast Match.

I have the Blast Match. I couldn't open it up without risking a fingernail, and so, I didn't use it. Finally, I did figure out how to open it up with one hand. That is my thumb in the photo. I guess it just wasn't a left-handed device until now. :lol: It works. It does everything as advertised.

I prefer to carry the SPARK-LITES.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 am

The modified sparklite can be uses on a regular basis because the flint is easily replacable. I replaced the regular flints with oversize flints used in commercial torch starters. they are not dinky like zippo flints.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 pm

oversize flints

Where would I find replacements, if I needed to find replacements :?:

Do you mean, flints for the "sparkers" for an acetylene torch?

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

It works!. I don't know how repeatable you could make it but I melted some beeswax into the bottom of the striker and stuffed a fluffed up tinder-quik on one side. It's like a single squeeze combined candle and lighter. Burned for ~30min. Now someone has to make a small version.

I christen it the "Frozen Hands Spark Candle Fire Starter" :mrgreen: Gotta make the name smaller too.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Return to “General”