start a fire

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
ConnieD

Re: start a fire

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Here is a woodcraft method that actually works well: The Bow Drill.

It involves using a knife to prepare the components.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:59 pm

Here are details, if you have difficulty learning this method.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 am

Unless someone has another method, so far, the steel wool and a 9 V battery is the "champion".

It is one-handed operation.

Gather materials. Have a fire.

I think the individually packaged fire cubes, like WetFire, are the easiest to backpack. I like Firesteel and their striker. I think that would be my preference.

For actual emergency purposes, I like the steel wool and a 9 V battery.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am

Very informative comparison video collection. Thank you Connie!!

Using steel wool you gotta be sure your tinder pile is well prepared. That wool burns super fast, wow!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm

I did a one handed test today and my conclusion is the old spark tool for propane torches is pretty good.

I couldn't find my weber cubes so i used bits of fiber from something similar to zelph's kit. I pulled half of one apart and tucked it inside the spark lighter. Very easy method to get a fire going with one hand.

If I can find the cubes my next test will have a partial cube stuffed into the 1/2 of the tool and some fibers in the other half. Should work good for an emergency one handed fire starter so long as you have it ready with cube/fiber stuffing.

Try to picture this with fibers stuffed on one half of the striker and weber fuel on the other half.
It won't make an ultralight hiker happy but it is a true one handed fire starter.
I wanted something I could use with cold hands. Just strike and put it in your kindling.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Almost forgot. The best method for one handed fire starting I've seen is to simply hold the flint/ferrorod down with your foot and use one hand to drag sparks back towards your foot (on top of tinder of course)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:57 pm

I always wondered why someone didn't manufacture a smaller sparker like that one for lighting torches. :roll: ..I guess Zippo(or someone else) did and called it a lighter... :lol: Why not just carry a lighter?Even without fuel,it'll still emit the sparks...I think that's why the bics are handy to carry.You can see the fuel,lightweight, and they still emit sparks if empty.Have you tried lighting fire cubes with an empty one's spark?At the dollar store they are 3 for a buck..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:01 pm

realityguy wrote:I always wondered why someone didn't manufacture a smaller sparker like that one for lighting torches. :roll: ..I guess Zippo(or someone else) did and called it a lighter... :lol: Why not just carry a lighter?Even without fuel,it'll still emit the sparks...I think that's why the bics are handy to carry.You can see the fuel,lightweight, and they still emit sparks if empty.Have you tried lighting fire cubes with an empty one's spark?At the dollar store they are 3 for a buck..

Try that lighter with cold frozen hands and tell me how that works out :).

I'm looking for something that is ready to go. From experience I would not have been able to use a lighter let alone dig in my pockets for all the bits needed. I want something that is easy to grab and will stay lit for a while after a spark. I'll try to do a video later.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 pm

My main point was why hasn't someone come up with a smaller "squeeze type" lighter..more pocket size than the large torch lighter.I would think someone one could take an original torch lighter and remake one 3" long and lightweight to hang off a pack strap..same "lighting/striking idea(SQUEEZE!)..just small enough to carry.I understand the lighter(meaning zippo or bic) concept as being hard to light because of the motion with cold fingers.Make something you can squeeze between all your fingers and palm.
Dan..you've got the welder setup already..we want that by tomorrow!..Get on it!!! :evil: :lol: .(It would take me two days to unbury mine and move it to the 220 plug.. :cry: )
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 pm

realityguy wrote:My main point was why hasn't someone come up with a smaller "squeeze type" lighter..more pocket size than the large torch lighter

I'm working on it, this is proof of concept stuff :), and it works good enough for me now. Where's that guy who keeps copying your ukes? I'll bet he has my idea in production already :(

Return to “General”