Need a diy stove an 11yr old could make

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sudden

Need a diy stove an 11yr old could make

Post by sudden » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:41 pm

My Grandson joined the boy scouts (after skipping the early stuff). I went to the first meeting with him and they were looking for ideas and projects to do. They have all the standard stuff you might think of (orienteering, carving, sports, etc).

Need your thoughts, is there a relatively safe diy stove they could make without hurting themselves or requiring special tools? The age limit to get in is ~11 but some of those kids look awfully young.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Re: Need a diy stove an 11yr old could make

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:21 pm

1 - Fancy Feast cat food can

2 - Paper punch holes around upper portion of can. 1 row about 1/4" from top edge. Space them about 3/8" apart.

3 - Fill half of can with fine sand.

4 - Make pot support using 1/2" hardware cloth Make it 4" diameter X 4" in height.

5 - Use Isopropyl 91 alcohol for fuel. (easier to see in daylight hours)

6 - Pour 1/2 ounce of fuel into burner.

7. Apply liquid soap to bottom of pot to make soot happy. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Sounds easy enough. Thanks. Now I need to find someone with a cat :)

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm sure your local animal shelter wouldn't mind if you brought a case down there and had a party... ;)

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:43 pm

My first stove: I had to buy Snow's Clams can.

Make chowder or linguini with white clam sauce.

Make mom happy: Find chafing fuel at a restaurant supply to remove soot off pots and pans.

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:05 am

Perhaps just a technicality but the Boy Scouts do have a policy against the use of homemade liquid fuel stoves (such as alcohol). Not everyone abides by it, or necessarily knows it, but it is a policy that does exist.

If anyone were to get hurt with one of these stoves, the Boy Scouts is not likely to assume any liability.
http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/680-013WB.pdf

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:57 am

I think there were a few scout troops in the US that started selling alcohol stoves as a sort of fundraiser until the liability issue caught up with them.

When I'm trying to get youngsters interested in stoves, I get them to make and use a StarLyte style stove. They're not as complicated as a jetted stove, and they won't spill fuel if knocked over. A cat can stove is pretty simple to make as well.
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:34 am

JollyRogers wrote:Perhaps just a technicality but the Boy Scouts do have a policy against the use of homemade liquid fuel stoves (such as alcohol). Not everyone abides by it, or necessarily knows it, but it is a policy that does exist.

If anyone were to get hurt with one of these stoves, the Boy Scouts is not likely to assume any liability.
I thought of that too, thanks for confirming it. I was going to check with the scout leader before going ahead with anything.

How about a diy woodstove then?

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 am

http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodgas-Can-Stove/

Ignore the mention of the term woodgas. :roll:

The combo of a qt paint can and a 19oz progresso soup can make a great stove.
It can be made without the use of a drill if desired by using one of the pointed can openers to perforate the cans.
the width of the outer can makes for a stable kid friendly stove.

neat thing about this particular can combo: the soup can just press fits into the paint can like it was made for it.
A piece of hardware cloth maybe 1-1/2" high also works great as a potstand and stores in the base of the stove.
Also the lid of the paint can makes a great lid for small pots and a base for smaller Firemugs. :D

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 pm

sudden wrote:
JollyRogers wrote:Perhaps just a technicality but the Boy Scouts do have a policy against the use of homemade liquid fuel stoves (such as alcohol). Not everyone abides by it, or necessarily knows it, but it is a policy that does exist.

I thought of that too, thanks for confirming it. I was going to check with the scout leader before going ahead with anything.

How about a diy woodstove then?
As far as I know, wood stoves are fine. They mainly have issues with chemical fuels or chemical-fueled equipment per the above policy.