simmer poll

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!

how often do you simmer with you stove

1 or 2 times per trip
17%
3 to 5 times per trip
13%
5 or more times a trip
4%
when baking on the trail only
9%
every chance I get
22%
what is this simmer thing you speak of?
13%
none yet but i would like a stove that did
22%

Total votes: 23

irrationalsolutions

simmer poll

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat May 01, 2010 9:00 pm

this poll and thread is to see how often the majority of members of this site use there stoves to simmer while trail cooking. please leave a comment to explain you answer and feel free to discuss you answer and the answers of others.

keep in mind that the duration of trips out is not the same for everyone so please include your average trip duration in your comment.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

irrationalsolutions

Re: simmer poll

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat May 01, 2010 9:05 pm

i usually like to fix a couple things while im out the need to be simmered and on longer trips i like to bake once a trip. lately my trips have been over night or day trips so the extra weight doesnt bother me at all but i have been known to be gone 10 days or so. the longer the trip i go on is the more i want the stove i take to be able to do. so for a long trip i have to have a stove that can simmer.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 01, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm going to simmer every time I'm out now that I have the stove that can easily simmer. The "GoTo" has a lot of latitude.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 01, 2010 9:18 pm

I shortened the handle on my one egg wonder and it will work nice. I'll use the grease pot to poach eggs :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 01, 2010 9:45 pm

All I can say is I have a sweet tooth for baked goods so.."every chance I get" seemed appropriate. :lol: ..and I use a simmer for a lot of other stuff.I like to heat water again while I eat(coffee,wash up,face towel bath after dinner and before bed) and don't want to babysit the stove while I'm eating..or bake a dessert..more reasons to simmer...
You can set up camp while heating water when you aren't in a hurry to get it done..simmer it!..Who wants to watch for water to boil when you could be watching the surf with your Heineken or bottle of wine? :cheers:
I usually just let the stove go for 40-50 minutes with something on it..I'm not a fuel miser... :roll:
My trips are usually overnights so I just throw in a full heet bottle each trip,bring back what I don't use for refilling smaller 4oz ones for day trips or for testing new stoves.... :sci:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 02, 2010 12:40 am

I like to reduce the heat to reduce fuel consumption.

The wick stoves do not seem to have that option, that is, of pouring the alcohol back in the fuel container.

But I really like to "simmer: if only because I misjudged the amount of water. I may need to reduce the broth or the sauce. I like to cook something up special, not just hot water. When I want a hot drink, I want it right now if not sooner. The rest of the time, I like to treat myself to something really good. Otherwise, why cook?

For me, something really good, involves making a broth or a sauce, usually a sauce, or gravy, which is a sauce I guess.

I need a "simmer" for that: I "roast" spices in a little oil to start the dish. I reduce a sauce. I "simmer"a boiled dinner.

I actually make fried egg sandwiches, or use poached eggs. I use soft-boiled eggs if that is all I can do.

I like to "bake" by steaming a cake, or, by dry baking a foccacia or pan bread while hiking and camping on a longer trip. I like to make bannock, scones or sweet or savory biscuits. I think I love biscuits and gravy. I like stuffing mix with gravy, easier to make with a limited backpacking stove.

I need a "hot water right now" maker.

And I need a "simmer". I think about 180 F may be about right for outdoors.

I stay out all I can. It takes something powerful to drive me back indoors: a real shower, good coffee.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun May 02, 2010 12:50 am

connie, just wondering... how much does your cook kit and food weigh (about) when you start a trip? im just asking because i have been thinking about expanding mine a little more but dont know yet if the weight is worth it to me personally.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 02, 2010 6:42 am

When it comes to the enjoyment of eating food. I will skimp on weight elsewhere. ;) I do not mind the extra weight of carrying spices, olive oil, syrup,etc. I love blueberry pancakes in the morning with a good cup of joe. I want a stove that will boil water quick for coffee,tea, hot chocolate and freezer bag cooking but I want to be able to use the same stove to simmer while baking breads, desserts, and pancakes. The Trangia has been my alcohol stove of choice since there is no fuel loss as it can be resealed when done cooking. The GoTo stove should fit the same bill with one pro in that it is lighter than the trangia and the con of having to "know" how much fuel it takes for each usage so to eliminate as much fuel waste as possible. Perhaps a small plastic tupperware container with a lid could be used to store the GOTO stove to save any unused fuel for later usage for the fuel mizers. ;) .
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 pm

...expanding your cook kit? your food choices? both?

I don't have a weight scale.

In my backpack, I figure if the kitchen equipment weighs more than 5 oz. I am doing something wrong. I do, however, have a "car camping" cook kit for Rest Stops enroute to backpacking places.

In my basecamp, on the road, I repackage my food supplies. I even have a hand vacuum pump. I put ingredients that need to be kept from air-spoilage in the vacuum plastic Ziploc. I put ingredients together that are add-hot-water, except certain spices. I carry some "add-on" ingredients in a separate ziploc-type. I keep all my food odors in an Opsak "food bag".

To give you an idea, I consider golden raisins to be heavy. Am I carrying those golden raisins, or not?

I make my backpacking decisions like this: It had better be worth eating!

I have a number of very lightweight low-volume backpacking food supplies: mashed potato mix, potato soup mix, couscous, fluffy ground mace (fresh ground at the trailhead), golden raisins (or, not), dried cranberries weigh less. I have dried and freeze-dry "add-on" vegetables like string beans, shredded yams, cabbage, okra and asparagus pieces. All lightweight.

For flour, I carry half "whole-wheat" and half white spelt flour, Rumsford, dry fructose in the "mix", fine grind sea salt, sesame meal and coarse salt. Like that.

I carry powdered shortening, powdered butter, individual packets of extra virgin olive oil. I carry a small container, if "camping" more than "hiking and camping". If I carry cheese, it is powdered blue cheese or blue cheese packets, powdered or shredded dried four-cheeses, or dried small raviolis. I have five big packages of those and two little packages.

My heavyweights are tortillas and packets of Justin's almond honey butter, sesame butter, and entree candidates like rice "sides" and salmon, Indian cuisine foil packets, like that. I carry stuffing mix and gravy mix in cold weather. I will carry individual packaged sausage and/or shredded chicken packet, if I am doing gumbo. The spices are curries, "duck sauce" packets from the Asian market, Schilling Italian Spice mix, whatever. These "lightweights" contribute so much.

In the outdoors, I like stronger flavors. I want to be able to "simmer" because I like to have the ingredients make a sauce.

I guess, I didn't understand your question. I never take 2 lbs food per day. I carry less because of selections like this.

If I really wanted a slow-cooker, it would be for a Tuscan bean soup or a posole, and then, I would use bean-hole cookery.

I don't do that, because I hike, camp, hike. On a beach walk, I do more.

I do not carry a backpack weighing more than 20 lbs, but then, all my gear is lightweight.

I have to be on a long trip to carry 30 lbs. and then I provide for supplementing my food intake.

Lightweight gear, lightweight food, better food.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 05, 2010 11:20 am

ConnieD, that's a whole lot of great information that you just laid out, thank you!!! I had to make a hard copy of it for future use ;)

The GoTo stove has the possibility of emptying out unused fuel by sliding the simmer sleeve beyond the rim of the stove and it should be able to help direct the unused fuel back into the bottle. I have not tried it yet but it sounds doable. You would then store the stove in a ziplock to retain fuel still remaining in the fuel absorber between the walls of the stove. I'll have to try it today.

Return to “General”