Coffee

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
dpritz

Coffee

Postby dpritz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:21 am

I came up with this idea based off a commercially available product.
Step 1 Buy number 1 coffee filters.
Step 2 punch a hole in them.
Step 3 find a stick/tent stake.
Step 4 insert sick into filter and fill with coffee.
Step 5 Pour boiling/hot water over it
Step 6 Enjoy coffee
Step 7 throw waste in fire or pack it out.
Attachments
coffee 003.jpg
coffee 002.jpg
coffee 001.jpg

realityguy

Re: Coffee

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:24 pm

I tried that but found the filters always sagged on the unsupported side and dumped coffee into the pot.Then made coffee pods with small strings to hold the top shut..still didn't give me coffee as I wanted.
Recently I found a coffee-press/travel mug($1!) that had the top press portion with a double walled bottom with a base that held a second small container to store your fresh ground coffee until you needed it..weighed about a whopping 12 ounces,mostly stainless steel.I whacked the double layer off the main cup except for the top 3/4"(maybe won't burn my lip) and the base portion and got the weight down to 5oz.I can heat water in the cup that does barely hold 16oz,just put some foil or another cup/lid/pot over the top when boiling water in it.it still makes a good somewhat nonspill coffee mug also.I might make a cozy for it to get the insulation value back to keep the coffee hot.
One more thing..the top does fit another smaller cup I have that holds about 12oz so if the wife isn't along,I can take the lighter cup.
Some of you that have some different straight wall cups may want to hunt up just a press top to use on your cup,adding only the weight of the press top to your gear weight.Talk the wife(okay IR.. ;)..) into buying you a nice single/double Bodum french press for home use,then steal the top when you go hiking!Make sure you tell her which one you would like(the one that fits your cup!).You can still use it at home with the original glass base.

I tried to find the original cup online that had an "Arches Bookstore" logo on the cup and in PINK( :o ) to post but couldn't find anything online remotely like it..so I'm posting a picture(somewhat hammered and modded..different original idea. :lol: .but you'll know what to look for)
The cup is supposed to have a long plastic handle down one side that attached to the top ring,broken off before I got it,probably why I got it for $1!
The bookstore I think is in Moab,Utah..but doesn't list the gifts area or any products related to the cup.This is the only "press" style cup like this in stainless I've seen in the local thrift stores...Just an idea to get a cheap coffee press for the trail that is dual purpose as a regular cup and will fit somewhat into other cookware.
And NO..I haven't tried it yet...
For lightweight..the coffeee filters are a good way to go..but I'm from Seattle. :lol: We like good coffee up here.If I could carry my automatic machine into the bush I would.Tiny trail espresso makers just don't make enough and the plastic pieces have a tendency of meltdown,but they work okay for a while.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:26 pm

i've got a 16 ounce Bodum travel press. this one:

i love it. i stopped useing it for a while, after the "Great Plastic Scare." a couple of trips useing other methods made me say f--- it, and i went back to the press. a paddling buddy has a stainless steel mug/press that i would love to have but can't find.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:46 pm

“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:00 pm

thanks IRA, but no.
my freinds mug/press is short and squat. takes up less space in the hatch (or pack). i didn't know that Bodum made the same mug as i have in s/s. i'll be on the lookout for that one!!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:17 pm

What I need..is my morning trail coffee to be like this..

..where I can float a second "eye-opening" shot on top of the first one... :shock: I usually get going EVERY morning with a couple of these... :taz:

:mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm not a coffee drinker so educate me on why a press instead of just letting gravity do the job through a paper filter? The paper on can be replaced with a stainless steel fabric one and reused forever. I'll have to go back and see how Skidsteer made his coffee arrangement.

Dpritz, does the filter sag and dump the grounds via your idea with the stick or peg???

Edited to includeskidsteer's coffee maker for the trail
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:33 pm

IR..the first mug is the one I cut up..thanks for finding it.Mine was painted pink with the logo added and the handle missing.The bottom cap pops off and holds a small plastic container that holds another load of coffee grounds.
I ended up stripping most of the outer sides off because they get a bit carried away(read that as a LOT carried away!)with excess hot glue that needs to be sanded off the inner cup or it smokes like hell..why I changed my initial plans for what I was doing with the cup.
originally I was trying to keep the second shell for most of the cup to hold the flames 2/3rds of the way up the cup..and then come out the holes..then ran into all the hot glue that wouldn't disappear or totally burn off,just melt onto the stove.. :evil:

EDITED FOR MORE INFO:The two black rings are large rubber O-rings..the top one fits into an indent in the outside layer body of the cup..making it easy to hacksaw it straight around the cup at the bottom of that indent.There is enough room under the indent that I can make a small flat aluminum handle that will slide up under that upper ring so it gives me something to hold onto if needed(over a stove or super hot coffee) that can be stored in the cup with the extra coffee in a vacuum packed bag around the shaft..makes for a nice day hike rig carrying its own coffee and handle inside with minimal extra weight.$29.95?..I wouldn't pay that..but if I find more for $2 or less I'll pick them up. ;)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:58 pm

zelph wrote:I'm not a coffee drinker so educate me on why a press instead of just letting gravity do the job through a paper filter?

everyone knows that drip coffee is inferior to pressed coffee. it's a law of nature.

paper filters are a pain to deal with in areas where fires are banned. i definately don't want to have to carry soggy paper coffee filters throughout the course of a trip. i've tried the s/s mesh drip filter idea and it didn't yeild a decent cup of coffee.

dpritz

Postby dpritz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:18 pm

I've never had an issue with it dumping into the mug. It has always worked great for me! however i've recently started drinking tea. (as of this past week) see how long that lasts

Return to “General”