Price of Heet

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Re: Price of Heet

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:44 pm

beemerphill wrote:This is not a reference to the price of Heet, but a comment in general about storing for emergencies. A couple of years back I went through several "just in case" bags and boxes. Most of the matches were over twenty years old, and over half of them did not work. Many of the plastic bottles and bags that were used for storage were not serviceable either. This got me to thinking about what else I had stored away may have deteriorated with age. It is surprising what will not be good when it is most needed. It might be a good idea to go through the bag of survival goodies that is in your truck, behind the couch, in the top of the closet, or wherever you thought would be a good place to keep them for "that day". Many items that one would assume were good for long term storage might let you down when most needed. A couple of MREs that I have had for like ten years were still safe to eat but were not as good as when they were new. I ended up throwing them away. From now on I will check items like this on a regular basis. It doesn't pay to store for an emergency if the items stored will not perform as they should.

It certainly was an eye opener and good advice to check items stored for emergency use.

I have found #10 cans of dehydrated meat chunk food products (chicken/beef) had accuired an unpleasant taste :(

Electronic devices were found to have leaky batteries.

Plastic totes become brittle over time and crack when trying to lift off a shelf.

Matches are notorious for deteriorating over time if not well protected.

Thanks again Beemerphil for the heads-up.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “General”