Deer On The Move

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
zelph

Deer On The Move

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:37 pm

These deer were just passing thru my yard on their way to ??????

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Deer On The Move

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:04 am

Deer playin' chicken..unfortunately around my other house they usually play with logging trucks ..and lose.. :roll:

I almost stepped on this on the edge of the woods next to my house up there..

Fortunately Jane Doe wasn't around as I was snapping pictures..I imagine she might have had a real hissy-fit... :roll:

A year or two before that there was a 3' tall fawn that was black ,white, and brown..and bushy..weird looking thing.My neighbor told me it had lost a battle with a logging truck..unfortunate.I always wonder if it would have grown up in those colors or went all to brown. :roll: Somewhere I do have a shot of that one..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

MrClean

Postby MrClean » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:13 am

Round my neighborhood it's not 'why did the chicken cross the road'. Come spring, when the new beans are about an inch long, that's when it hurts to go out and see all the leafs eaten off the plants. For some reason they leave the beans, shriveling up on the naked stalks. Just step over the back fence, munch away, and walk on. They like sweet potato leaves too. 4 dogs that couldn't be bothered with getting up out of bed to go outside to chase them off too. I wonder if a scarecrow would take care of them?

When they're not eating your yard or impaling your car, they sure are pretty things. The little babies will just sit there, not moving, barely flinching if you touch them. Momma won't do anything till you get out of site. She's taught her baby to freeze and that's all she can do although those hooves are like razors. I've come across baby deer when I was out looking for downed RC Airplanes. I've walked up on more then one of them in the tall grass. There will be indentations nearby where momma was laying. After inspection I'll continue on and if I get far enough away on retrieval, on the way back there will be two indentations and no deer. If I don't go far enough away there will still be the 'statue' till I get out of eye or ear site. Our club field also has 3 and sometimes 4 groups of Turkeys running around on it along with the per-requisite rabbits, squirrels and just about anything else you'd like to hunt but can't because it's protected. Tell me the animals don't know that. Not that I do much hunting anyways. I was usually just along for the walk, shooting something was a non-issue after I found I didn't really like the taste of wild game.

Kinda why I moved into backpacking. Don't have to stalk anything, just stroll along.
From somewhere near Parkville, Mo.
William Crane
aka MrClean

You live. You learn.
Well anyways, you live.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:23 pm

I have an inexpensive wind-whistle sold everywhere around here stuck to the inside grill, so the deer and elk do not jump in front of my vehicle. I know it works on Hiway 1 and 101 and I-5 on the coast and on the gravel roads on the high plains in Montana. I have heard it will not work at slow speed on a curving mountain road.

I have heard there are plants the deer do not like to eat, due to either "bad taste or bad odor" for their sensibilities. I have had friends on the coast re-do their landscaping to deer repellent shrubs and flowering plants.

Here, one man showed me his "secret" he uses to protect his vegetable garden. He said he read a magazine article about it: have a secure hog-wire fence. It has squares of smooth wire. It has to go all the way to the ground or rabbits go under it. I think he may have added smaller-square "hardware cloth" rabbit fence at the bottom. The whole point for deer is their fear of getting tangled in the fence.

The hog-wire fence has to be full size off the roll and securely fastened, not loose. Then, about 12-14" above the top wire of the hog-wire fence have a brightly colored ribbon wire, like an electric-wire fence wire sold in fancy shops, or have a brightly colored ribbon pulled taught. It must not be loose. He has yellow.

The full size width of the hog-wire fencing must be used, on edge, for full-height. The distance of the ribbon-wire above it is critical.

For some reason, it gives the message "you will get tangled" in this fence.

I could go over to Jack Haine's house in the next town or two from here to measure the distance. I remember: 12-14 inches. It works.

I have seen 14-18 foot fencing with electric fence not keep small coastal deer out of an orchard. I know Jack Haine has "got it right" with our full-size deer, in Montana.

I know one Marin Organic gardener, on the coast, whose plastic frame-plastic sheeting hoop houses keep deer out of his market crops. If you have gophers, he showed me that hardware cloth "baskets" under each plant keeps them from eating the roots.

Here? I would use cold-frames or "flats" inside the house for salad greens. I would need a house.

In some places, gardening requires more than in other places.

I am convinced the "wild animals" absolutely know where they are protected and in other areas when hunting season begins and ends.
Last edited by ConnieD on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 pm

My watchdogs are defintely not camera shy..even kind of act perturbed when I show up for a visit.

The neighbor used to have a cat that would walk up to them..nose to nose..then both would jump and run off a little..and keep repeating that process in play..
Due to Coyotes and mountain lions in the area..that used to expression is pretty common..My cats don't go up there and the neighbor no longer tries to keep any around.Instead ..he got a cougar(girlfriend).. :DB: :DB: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:54 pm

I have does come in my yar every year to have their young along the fence lines. The trees and brush are pretty thick and give good cover for the little ones. Once big enough, does and fawns come out in the evenings to have dinner in the grassy yard. They will enjoy veggies from my garden if I let them :roll:

Plant lots of marigolds of the "tall" varieties to keep deer away. Seeds are cheap. I emphasize "lots" of plants. You gotta get that smell of the flowers permeating your garden area. a few plants ain't goin to make it happen. Start your plants indoors in the spring.

MrClean

Postby MrClean » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Aye, What I did last year was I had PVC pipe at the corners and ran electric fence wire around my beds. Turns out Juice (my half Husky/German Shepard) likes the Beans. Deer it the leaves he eats the beans SO I put fence wire around them. He will not go near the electric fence wire, he's trained. Took about 3 jolts to the nose but he's trained and because of that, he stays in the yard where he's safe though getting over the fence would be nothing to a jumper like him. I've seen him grab a tennis ball on a bounce where his hind legs were easily 2 feet over the fenceline. He just doesn't know it. He just knows chain link or wire bites and he don't like it. It's been unplugged since about the 2nd month it was installed. I can't keep from bumping into when doing yard work and have easily gotten bit 4 times as much as he has. I don't like it either.

Anyways, with the pvc/wire fencing in place I put chicken wire coils over the suspended with the pvc/wire and they just can't get into or want to try getting into it. Hard to harvest that way though easy enough to pull off.

I have marigold and onions, they don't like that combination. They don't like my corn once it gets better than a foot tall, they will nibble a row of sprouts gone.

Whistles though, Deer hear the same frequency that we do, according to a couple zoo-ologist friends of mine. So if You can't hear it, neither can they. However, I have been advocating the sale and installation of 'Deer Traps' at my local Walmart. Have to describe the traps to them too. They're basically like a big Rat trap. Fold the 4 foot tall spring over and prime the lever with some corn. Deer come up to nibble on the corn and SPLAT, Deer burgers for supper. The just look weird at me at the sports desk and this one guy wearing all blue, a walkie talkie and sometimes a firearm moves up behind me and whispers in my ear 'perhaps you should be moving along now, sir'.

Come to think of it, his rather insistent. But I think the Deer Traps should be required along the side of the highway. You wouldn't have to prime them with corn, photos of a bumper should be sufficient.

Hmmmm, they kept using phrases like, 'You can't hunt that way.' I told them I wasn't intending to hunt per se, just eliminate a pest.
William Crane
aka MrClean

You live. You learn.
Well anyways, you live.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:15 pm

re. passive whistles: I have read the "studies" that say they don't work, but I have seen deer and elk stop at the side of the road right-of-way, perk their ears, stop, and wait for my vehicle to pass every time.

It is likely different passive wind-whistles are better than others.

Replanting shrubs and flowers works. That 2,150 acres retreat property in Marin County have no further problem with deer eating the landscaping around their retreat houses and other buildings on the property, refusing to allow deer to be shot on their property - not even the Pt. Reyes National Seashore park rangers are allowed to kill the deer.

The "fallow deer" and one other species deer are very controversal around there. One man got them from the zoo, releasing them for "hunting" but they reproduced faster than they were hunted.

It is a huge controversy out there: native species vs. not native species.

I attended one meeting. Asked, "What do you think about native species"? I said, "Europeans, go home".

Maybe this thread could be moved to the "Just for the Fun of It" category?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Come to think of it, his rather insistent. But I think the Deer Traps should be required along the side of the highway. You wouldn't have to prime them with corn, photos of a bumper should be sufficient.

The photo of a bumper rolled me on the floor :lol:

I attended one meeting. Asked, "What do you think about native species"? I said, "Europeans, go home".

Europeans have the same problem and feelings. They import our native plants and animals and all of a sudden they escape into the european countryside and "whalla!!!" invasive species from the U.S.A. :o We are a sharing nation ;)

MrClean

Postby MrClean » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Taters, Tomaters and Corn.

If we made the Europeans go home how do I get along without part of my body that has to stay? And how do I identify it. Nothign really says Arapaho anywhere. Or German or English or French.
William Crane
aka MrClean

You live. You learn.
Well anyways, you live.

Return to “Amazing Photos”