Snow shoeing on Mt Rainier

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
Bfinnigan

Snow shoeing on Mt Rainier

Postby Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:30 pm

My daughter and I went up for the first trek this winter just above Paradise Mt Rainier. The weather was a very cool mix of sun and snow snifters. It snowed about 3" the night before so everything had a fresh dusting of snow.

Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

Ridgerunner

Re: Snow shoeing on Mt Rainier

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Neat pics, thanks for sharing. How long has your daughter been hiking with you?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:42 pm

She was about 6 mo. old when we first stuck her in a baby pack and hit the trails. She will be 12 in Jan. I just bought mom a pair of snow shoes so she can go with us soon.

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:46 pm

We got to see a gray fox on the trip. I have never seen one in the wild before so it was pretty cool. It's at 2:37 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnAJ200wlgU

What is the trick to embed youtube vids? I tried pasting the URL and the embed string and just got a white square. Is video embedding blocked?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Bfinnigan wrote:We got to see a gray fox on the trip. I have never seen one in the wild before so it was pretty cool. It's at 2:37 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnAJ200wlgU

What is the trick to embed youtube vids? I tried pasting the URL and the embed string and just got a white square. Is video embedding blocked?

I just learned myselfso what you do is click the "youtube" box on the header of your post then copy and paste the 11 digit sequence after the equal sign of your youtube video between the youtube symbles like such:
[youtube cnAJ200wigU[/youtube]

I intentionally left out the "]" before the sequence so you could see the layout. ;)
I will let you make the adjustment if you wish. :mrgreen:
It should come out like this:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:41 am

Thanks! That's very strange compared to other forums but now I know.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Oh my!!! a reminder that winter is on it's way. Minnesota got dumped on yesterday........that's too close for me. :D

You had an all out great time with your daughter, super!!!! I had to look twice to see if you were carrying her shoes out for her :mrgreen: what a nice dad!!! That's scary to see how the weather can turn on you so quick, good thing you carry emergency fire capabilities. emergency fox food was not far off, coulda hit it with a rock :D Nice to have been able to get the video of it. They have a funny way of marking their territory, ya go when ya gotta go :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing your daddy/daughter time with us, excellent!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 pm

She didn't want to use her snow shoes and the trail was pretty packed down good from other snowshoers and X-country skiers. Believe it or not she has them stashed on her pack. For her weight they are only 6x12. For my 225 Lbs I need 9x30. But she also found dozens of soft spots and went in knee deep or higher. :lol:

I make a point of getting a lot of video of the clouds at higher altitudes slamming into the mountains. Any time someone I know is going to hike for the first time at the higher altitudes I show them the vids. I also have a lot of white out pics to show it's far more dense then even heavy fog is.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:17 pm

So this was a high traffic area and nothing to worry about being snowed upon to the max and being stranded? How far to where you parked your car? showing a video to 1st timers is nice, I'd want to see it also to prep myself for what I may be seeing not too far in front of me ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Photos”