Mt. Shuksan Panorama

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
realityguy

Re: Mt. Shuksan Panorama

Postby realityguy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:31 pm

The main thing..when you have lenses..i didn't see a reason for using a pinhole lens/shutter..but provided them for people that didn't have the high $$$ lenses.My cameras were built so people could go out and shoot them WHEN THEY RECEIVED THEM..but still have the options and I supplied prefitted lensboards whenever they felt like putting big bucks into a lens for them.The cameras are built for maximum depth of field in a point-n-shoot camera using WA (wide angle)90mm Schneider Angulons,carl meyers WA or 90mm WA Wollensaks..which run from $50 to about $150 each.I have a couple Angulons and the Carl Meyer.The 5x7 is built for the Wollensak EX.WA(extreme wide angle)112mm lens I have,I do have some 5x7s built for 90mms that can take an extended lensboard fior getting the focal length out to the 112mm.
There is no focusing..everything from about 6 ft to infinity is in focus with the smaller 90mm WA..point(with the help of viewers that show approximately what you'll get,set the shutter,use the back glass if you want for focusing(but wide angle lenses leave extremely dark images on the ground glass),set the shutter,slide in a large format filmholder,and shoot!I eliminated the hassle and weight of the back glass by adding lightweight viewers for composing the shots.
The 5x7 cigar box camera without the back glass and with a pinhole lensboard/brass shutter..weighs a whopping 17OZ!Add a lens for another 3-4oz..How can you beat that?The average 5x7 camera probably weighs normally 10+lbs!My homemade hiking 5x7 view camera weighs 5lbs with the spring loaded back glass,extends out to about 2' and can also be set with a couple clips as a P-N-S camera while on the trail..no focusing,aim and shoot,held in your hand!I can add a couple more clips and eliminate the "base unit" totally from that camera..probably get the weight down to 3 to 3-1/2lbs or less as a P-N-S on the trail.Add a light weight tripod because the camera is light and I can get a 5x7 view camera on the trail for under 10lbs..That's pretty damn light!(That's excluding the 9-1/2 to 10oz weight of every two shot filmholder)
The large camera..uses the shutter half of a 3x4 speed graphic(actually sawd a couple of those suckers in half! :o ) for obtaining maximum variable speeds for processing barrel lenses.The "shutter assembly" is setup to take the same standard lensboard mount front and back to match all my cameras and lensboards..quite a task!..well most of them in that large size(I have two shutters).I can shoot slower ASA film just with just a lenscap using small aperture and long shutter speeds..if I don't want to haul the extra weight of the shutter.
That's why I rarely dicked around with pinhole setups.I've got drawers full of lenses,especially old barrel ones from wide angles up to about 500mm ones that can weigh up to 2-3 pounds each.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:07 pm

You shudaa used the fair Indian Maiden on the box of Land-0-Lakes butter for the peep hole. She holds a box of butter in her hands, if cut on three sides it could be lifted up to peep inside.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (3.71 KiB) Viewed 927 times
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Actually that girl was inside the lid of the box..the piece that came out went back in the other way..She came with the box..what can I say!Besides..it's more authentic having her...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Gees..just found my "film inventory" list..lost on my desk for over a year... :roll: Time to restore my life I guess.. :cry:

I guess I should go out and shot some film..don't ya think?! :o

The 'O' means opened boxes..the 'S' means sealed,most numbers are "sheets" or "rolls"..bulk film is lineal feet"( I have another 200' rollx9.5" at the other house of panatomic-x) .That film here is probably one big icecube in its own freezer..guess I better defrost again! :lol: :lol:

Also..as far as the "cigar box girl" verses the "land of butter" one..here's a close up with the door open.. :shock:

Yeah..she has clothes on and I think is more appropriate for a "cigar box camera" for obvious reasons.. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Yeah..she has clothes on and I think is more appropriate for a "cigar box camera" for obvious reasons.. ;)

Good choice :D

Thaw some film and get the cameras in use ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Photos”