Exciting owl puke from my last hike!

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
shingaling

Exciting owl puke from my last hike!

Postby shingaling » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 pm

I've read about regurgitated owl pellets, and I finally found some in the woods. The hike was at Mt. Nemo in Burlington, On., which is part of the Niagara Escarpment. My daughter and I had scrambled down the cliff and were working our way along the bottom, so the pellets showed up at eye level. Might have missed them otherwise.

There 3 or 4 pellets (counting the skulls, that is) at the level we were at, and another 2 or 3 in the same area on top of the cliff.

-Shingaling
Winter2010_Mark 121.jpg
Owl pellet. March 2010
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

realityguy

Re: Exciting owl puke from my last hike!

Postby realityguy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 pm

A friend of mine has his own small forest of overgrown christmas trees that have a lot of owl pellets underneath them.A few times a year a person he knows comes in with a bucket and picks them up..sells them to a nearby college for instructional purposes.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 pm

Nice find...............hard to find the ones with large skull remains like the one in the photo. Thanks for sharing the excitement :D

Photo loaded just fine!!!

The owls like to perch on small ledges of the cliffs. Easy for them to see you approaching and take off long before you see them. You won't hear them take off, you have to watch far ahead of you as you walk the base of the cliffs. I friend of mine can "call" owls in to him as he sits motionless at the base of a tree. Does not use any type of artificial aide, just his vocal cords. It's an awesome experience to see him call in an owl. You can't hear the owl flying in, it just appears on a limb if you don't see it approach.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:37 am

Me and a friend both have the ability to call owls with our natural voice. It is really cool to be sitting in camp late at night and hear one off in the distance. We will cut loose with some calls and before you know it, there may be two or three come into camp and the vocalization really gets exciting. One actually swooped down through our camp area just above the glowing dying embers of our fire. I have never noticed owl ball. but do have an eye for turkey poop! ;) The males lays in a "J" formation and the females is in a curled ball. The one way to positively identify the female turkey poop is to know that it taste a little sweeter! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

shingaling

Postby shingaling » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:04 am

A few times a year a person he knows comes in with a bucket and picks them up..sells them to a nearby college for instructional purposes.

Hmmm...maybe I should corner the market in owl pellets and save up for my stove building projects!

The other great thing about the Escarpment area is that when you're on top of the cliff, you'll be at eye level with turkey vultures. They catch the winds and thermals coming up the sides of the cliffs, and are only a few feet out when they rise above the top.

As for wild turkey, a local hunting club has been reintroducing them to the area, and they're thriving. Once on an early morning hike I came up over a hill and surprised about half a dozen hens. It actually startled me, because they're quite large and were relatively close to me. They looked like a heard of baby dinosaurs.

I've read about that "J" shaped poop before - I'll be on the lookout for it! :shock:
-Shingaling
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:11 pm

The one way to positively identify the female turkey poop is to know that it taste a little sweeter! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's like telling Grizzley poop from brown bear poop..The brown bear stuff has bears and little bit of fur..the grizzley stuff has little bells and bones from wayward hunters from Ohio...and tastes like female turkey poop... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm

and tastes like female turkey poop... :lol:

no no no no no don't tell me you've tasted female turkey poop :o you're gross!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:58 am

:geek: No, no. The bells are from hikers.

Owl pellets are valuable. Okay, maybe only where there are troublesome pigeons.

It seems pigeons are a food-favorite for owls.

Pigeons know this. If there are owl pellets nearby, pigeons know an owl nest is nearby, or even worse, another place where owls feed. People that know about this "factoid" in cities actually pay for owl pellets, if they cannot get them from the city zoo.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Pigeons know this. If there are owl pellets nearby, pigeons know an owl nest is nearby, or even worse, another place where owls feed. People that know about this "factoid" in cities actually pay for owl pellets, if they cannot get them from the city zoo.

Well that's an interesting factoid!!!!! I'm impressed with that little bit of information, thank you Connie.

Return to “Amazing Photos”