TeePee

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
irrationalsolutions

Re: TeePee

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 am

great looking setup! i like it!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:25 am

Very, very nice.....looks like the new one is going to pump out the btu's no problem. Did you use stainless steel stove pipe for the tube section?

Really nice looking stove and wigwam.....fire that baby up over the weekend and show us som HOT photos. We want to see bare ground under the stoves belly from the heat. Shorten the legs so the radiant heat is lower to the ground so it will be absorbed and radiate it during the night.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Nice setup. Do you have a stove flap for the opening in the tent? I like the tent also. What is your review on that teepee?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ordin Aryguy

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:55 pm

zelph wrote: Did you use stainless steel stove pipe for the tube section?

Nope, it's just HVAC ducting. It's heavy enough that it'll probably last a number of seasons, light enough that we barely notice it dragging along in a pulk, and easy to work with very simple hand tools.

zelph wrote:Shorten the legs so the radiant heat is lower to the ground so it will be absorbed and radiate it during the night.

The legs will get cut a little shorter, but it's nice to leave some space under the stove. When gathering wood in the winter, it's inevitably got ice on it. Putting the next load of wood under the stove while the first is still burning is an easy way to melt the snow and ice off. That way the new wood won't cool the stove down too much when it's loaded in.

Ridgerunner wrote:Do you have a stove flap for the opening in the tent? I like the tent also. What is your review on that teepee?

If by storm flap you mean a covering for the hole where the chimney goes through the roof, then yes, there is one. Actually, it's a welder's blanket that's sewn in there now. No melting that one.

The teepee itself is fine. When winter camping with a woodstove, there is sufficient room in it to sleep 4 adults. The woodstove and the center pole are bigger space eaters than you'd imagine. One of the unexpected features about the tent is that the floor is detachable. It saved us the trouble of cutting it out.

Last night we had the very first burn in the new stove, not in the tent though, just in my buddies driveway.

Here's the new one next to the old one. Big difference.

Some of the wood laying in my buddies woodpile had started to go punky and didn't want to burn that well. Enter the leaf blower. Nothing some force feeding couldn't fix!

Some time over the next couple weeks we will set up the tent and give the stove a true workout. Hopefully deep in some forest in the Adirondacks.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 pm

Nicely done Ordin. That should keep you nice and toasty in your teepee! ;) Daren made a nice woodburner for an island cabin that he kayaks to. There are some pics on this site somewhere.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Is it feasible to offset the pole from the center position to save room..or use 2-3 poles that go to the outside edges instead?I would think a 3 pole setup with the stove going through the middle of a section between two poles could get you 2/3rds of the tent back.Are you going to add a metal heatshield to the back side of the stove to protect the tent there?Leaving a 1" air gap between the actual stove and shield makes quite a difference in the heat factor going towards the tent..and it could be made from pretty lightweight metal sheeting.

As far as losing the floor..couldn't you save half or a large portion of it?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Nice, nice, nice!!!!! :D I like it

I just had an idea. Make the stove and flu the same diameter. Put a damper in the flu to regulate heat.

Radiant heat maximus....why does this sound too easy????? The pulk can carry it so what the heck :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ordin Aryguy

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:02 am

realityguy wrote: Is it feasible to offset the pole from the center position to save room..or use 2-3 poles that go to the outside edges instead?I would think a 3 pole setup with the stove going through the middle of a section between two poles could get you 2/3rds of the tent back.

Sounds feasible enough. We'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

realityguy wrote: Are you going to add a metal heatshield to the back side of the stove to protect the tent there?Leaving a 1" air gap between the actual stove and shield makes quite a difference in the heat factor going towards the tent..and it could be made from pretty lightweight metal sheeting.

The metal heatshields already exist. This was the prototype on testing day. The heatshields were INCREDIBLY effective at keeping heat off of the tent and reflecting it back inside. Putting your hand between the heatsheild and the outer tent wall really felt cool, almost cold. It was a key addition.

Sorry, no pics of the final pieces in action. When we take this thing for a shakedown cruise I'll take a bunch then.

realityguy wrote:As far as losing the floor..couldn't you save half or a large portion of it?

Losing the floor isn't really a big deal. In winter, the boots really only come off when the feet are ready to go hide in the sleeping bag anyhow. The floor would just end up being a muddy, wet, and ultimately icy mess. Good riddance.

Ordin

Ordin Aryguy

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:10 am

zelph wrote:Nice, nice, nice!!!!! :D I like it

I just had an idea. Make the stove and flu the same diameter. Put a damper in the flu to regulate heat.

Radiant heat maximus....why does this sound too easy????? The pulk can carry it so what the heck :mrgreen:

Good idea. However, there's limited space in the pulk (although I do have two rigged train-style) and making the stove system too big would take up lots of that precious space that's reserved for beer and bratwursts. ;)

From a solo trip to an Adirondack lean-to for a few days, the week before Christmas...

Ordin

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:27 am

I would think a sideways stove with a secondary half circle of metal bolted(to the stove with "[" shaped brackets) 1" out covering the back would make a good heat shield taking up minimal room within the tent..plus the half circle will draw cold air from underneath through the warmer section behind the stove(in between it and the heat shield) and push it out the front on top with convection..Of course you need to leave some section uncovered for placing pots on top(middle section for maximum heat?).The heatshield could be mounted with small brackets and bolts/wingnuts,rolled inside the stove when packing9along with the chimney)... and taking up very little storage against the back wall inside the stove.
Normal wood stove piping does have available 1/2 pipe rear shields for the stove pipe also to protect walls from damage and to reduce clearances to combustible areas..same idea..rolled inside the pipe for travel.
A little bit of sheet metal might add minimal weight but give you a lot more heat/room in the teepee when you need it...just a thought...But that's just me..I'm a McGyver-type person...
:o ................. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Shelter Skelter”