TeePee

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
hoz

Re: TeePee

Postby hoz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:56 pm

zelph wrote:Some have a double wall , 4' high the entire inside perimiter. The wall gets stuffed with dried grass for insulation in cold weather.

As I understand it the "Tipi liner" should be at least 5-6' tall. The liner directs breezes up towards the smokehole and helps with keeping the interior smoke free. They can be stuffed with grass in really cold weather to provide insulation.

Are you familiar with the "Ozan" a 3/4 canopy that extends over the back side of the interior and catches rain that comes in through the smokehole?

For a bunch of "uneducated savages" those Native Americans were pretty good engineers.

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:39 pm

zelph wrote:I have an imige in my head of Dlarson with his blue blanket wrapped around the tree branches :D Hope you can find a photo of it. I have a photo of my brother and I wearing cowboy outfits with holsters and guns drawn. Nostalgic, good memories!!!!

I think it was more of a yellow blanket if my memory serves me. In the picture I'm thinking of my brothers and I are shirtless and painted to look like "Natives". :lol:
I'll ask my brother if he knows where the pictures are.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Cphobes

Postby Cphobes » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 am

Ridgerunner wrote:I had a neighbor that built a Teepee back in his woods. It turned out pretty neat. i did a little searching and came up with the following links to build a teepee.

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/shelter/tepee.htm

http://www.strawbaletradingpost.com/HowToMakeATipi.html

That first link is great, bookmarked it for reading! :)

-Stephen
--
Y!: cphobes
AOLiM: cphobes
Email: stephen@mcguire.name
Blog: http://www.stephen.mcguire.name/

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:03 pm

hoz wrote:
zelph wrote:Some have a double wall , 4' high the entire inside perimiter. The wall gets stuffed with dried grass for insulation in cold weather.

As I understand it the "Tipi liner" should be at least 5-6' tall. The liner directs breezes up towards the smokehole and helps with keeping the interior smoke free. They can be stuffed with grass in really cold weather to provide insulation.

Are you familiar with the "Ozan" a 3/4 canopy that extends over the back side of the interior and catches rain that comes in through the smokehole?

For a bunch of "uneducated savages" those Native Americans were pretty good engineers.

I've seen the "ozan" in use at "Mountain Men" gatherings and re-enactments of "Pioneer Days" locally.

I want one in my back yard, permanently :mrgreen: As big as I can get. The longest lodgepoles that I can find.

Dlarson, be sure to post the photo if you find it, I'll do the same with mine :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

rik_uk3

Postby rik_uk3 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Tipi tents are popular with UK bushcrafters. Most are single pole and made from nylon or polycotton if you want to use a firebox or stove and flue.

I've been using a Golite Hex 3 for about three years, great tent, light enough for one to carry; sleeps two in real comfort.

This is a typical Tipi used in the UK

I have wanted one for a while but they are very expensive so I've gone down a cheaper route

http://www.belltent.co.uk/5_meter_deluxe_version.htm

Not lightweight but I have a chronic knee condition that has put an end to my hiking days so this will be great for me and my son + grand son when he reaches two; even the wife said she would start camping again in it :shock: So, out with the Thermarest and in with a good sized cot bed.

I've slept in a Tipi with a woodburner, they work well but you need to tend the fire once or twice a night so as I'm a 'stovie' I'm using either a Gloys Heatpal or one of a couple of designs of kerosene heaters I have. The kerosene heater will go around ten hours between fills and throws out around 2Kw of heat, perfect for UK winters where (in Wales at least) -10c / 14f is about the lowest we get in winter.

The major drawback for me with the Tipi is the lost usable floor space due to the steep angles of the tent.
Richard
South Wales
UK

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun May 24, 2009 8:35 pm

good pics.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun May 24, 2009 9:33 pm

besides lost floor space; another drawback of tipi's is the neccessity of peg-outs. when you are setting up camp on a rock, it's hard to find earth to put a peg into. with a free standing tent, this is not an issue. hammocks are another option but still require tie-outs. but they don't have to be pegs.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Nice teepees Richard. I like your Golite Hex. Does that use a hiking pole or a separate pole ? I eventually plan on erecting a large permanent type teepee in the side yard. I have a small woodburner that will fit nicely.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun May 24, 2009 9:51 pm

RR that sounds great. ill be swinging by when i start my vacation.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 24, 2009 11:06 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:RR that sounds great. ill be swinging by when i start my vacation.

IR, the word "eventually" means it is on the backburner at the moment! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Shelter Skelter”